Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-14-02, 15:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/185/154
BF:
Progress: 42%
Question Do I subtract the fibre?

Hi all, I am having a problem with the amount of vegetables I can have. I have decided to go with the carb counter on this site as all measurements are per 100g weight this makes things a lot easier than working out how tight to pack cups with cauliflower.

In the carb counter cauliflower raw is listed at 5.2g fibre is listed at 2.5g do I subtract the fibre from the carbs or is the listing for carbs already adjusted for the fibre.

Regards Graham
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-14-02, 16:25

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%
Default yep!

you subtract the fiber since it's not absorbed, it doesn't count.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-14-02, 22:06

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

If the fibre had been subtracted, the count would be labelled "Effective Carb Count". So if it just says xx carbs, then you can subtract the fibre.

#4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 04:31
Registered Member

BF:
Wink carbs-fibre

Good morning from Manchester UK. thanks for the information ladies, as I said I am now only going to use the carb counter on this site because everything is listed by weight.

The caulflower is listed at 5.2g - 2.5g of fibre = 2.7g of effective Carb per 100 grams in weight is this correct.

The first week I was on Atkins I lost 7lb this last week I have only lost 1lb, I have had quite a bit more cauliflower & broccoli this week, I have been making soups with cream and cheese, next week I will weigh the veggies better.

Regards Graham
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 11:53
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Graham!

Fat loss is not always consistent or steady from week to week. In the first week or two, a lot of water is lost. After that, it's pure fat.

You have the advantage of being male. Men can generally tolerate more carbs while losing fat, so don't let vegetables spook you.

It's great that you're weighing rather than measuring by volume. It's much more accurate and the volume of what you can eat is much larger.

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 12:02
Registered Member

BF:
Question I am still not sure

Thanks Karen, there are so many carb counters about and a lot tell a different tale, measurement are in cups, sticks,each, florets etc.etc. it was great to find a site that worked in weight.

I am still not 100% sure about the carb and fibre question it seems some people deduct the fibre content from the list and some don't am I doing correct to deduct the fibre as shown in the carb counter on this site?

Regards Graham
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 12:06

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Some plans allow you to subtract fiber, and some don't. Atkins does allow it in his newest books. So for Atkins followers, yep, subtract the fiber. On this site you can subtract the fiber from the shown carb count in order to get your effective carbohydrate count (ECC).
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 13:15
Registered Member

BF:
Wink Sorted

Glad thats sorted, now I know what I am doing,

Thanks Graham