Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 15:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/170/150
BF:15%
Progress: 80%
Default Is weight training necessary w/ CKD

is weight training really necessary with the CKD? I have been doing circuit weight training on Mon, wed, and Fri. with cardio monday- friday. I am not that interested in gaining muscle right now, I just want to lose about 15 pounds. If i were to only do cardio would i still be able to Carb-Up on the weekends without any bad affects such as gaining weight? well, thanks for reading this, i would really appreciate it if anyone out there could help me out.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 15:45

Plan: CKD Sept '02
Stats: 280/240/200
BF:
Progress: 50%

i am no expert but i think it is necessary since the weight training is pretty essential in fully depleting the glycogen from your muscles.

You can still lose weight while lifting. I have dropped just over 20 pounds since September by doing CKD.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 20:02

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default yes

Weight training is essential with the CKD.

Actually, teh whole premise behind the CKD was to find a way for bodybuilders to be able to maintain their weight training programs while at the same time taking advantage of the fat loss effects of the low-carb diet.

But, to answer your question, you can deplete by doing cardio. A 60 minute session of intervals (1 minute on - 1 minute off) at 70% - 80% of your max heart rate should sufficiently deplete muscle glycogen.

However, cardio never gave anyone tight arms and firm glutes. Gotta weight train for that.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 11:49

Plan: carb/calorie cycling
Stats: 187/134/128 Female 1,59m
BF:36%/25%/21%
Progress: 90%

Hey, thanks for telling me that depletion is possible with interval cardio as that is exactly my plan..

Currently I am totally out of the BFL mode and more into line with CKD... I love my weekend junk food too much ;-).

Sunday = rest day and regular ketoday mostly (today I swam as I couldn't go to the gym due to ice on the roads and ate a carb meal at a Chinese restaurant)
Monday = leg day (quads, hams, gluteus) plus spinning lesson (45 min)
Tuesday = back day (back- shoulders- triceps)
Wednesday = calves & abs day plus spinning lesson (so mostly cardio)
Thursday - swimming.. for increasing lung capacity I practice swimming under water.. very taxing for heart & lungs.. but not much real swimming involved.. it DOES make me very tired though
Friday - chest day (chest - biceps - wrist) plus intense speed work on home trainer (24 mins of 4 6 min intervals e.g. going up from 75-85-90-95-100-105, 85-90-95-100-105-110, 85-95-100-105-110-115 to 85-100-110-110-110-110 and in the last 10 s to max, this time 155 rpm).. this is what I did Friday and with variations I will try to build it up to 60 mins.. at the moment pools of sweat form at 110 rpm.. it should be done without breaking a sweat ).
Saturday - hips-calves & abs day , a spinning lesson plus depletion workout with 48 mins speed interval interval on hometrainer with similar schedule as the Friday one (times 2) but due to the icy road I didn't.. so I didn't really carb up either..

Fietser

PS.. forgot to explain why .. I am a cyclist (obviously as Fietser means cyclist) and want to train on speed as well as strength. When I do a full body depletion workout I am too 'spent' on Monday to do a lot then.. I want to be well rested for my most important workout (legs) and do another major group (back & triceps) a day later when the glycogen stores are still full. Cardio doesn't tire my muscles as much as a heavy workout does, but it does tire my cardiovascular system.. so I think this is a good approach.. though it might be that my glycogen might be too depleted at the end of the week???

Last edited by Fietser : Sun, Dec-15-02 at 11:52.