Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 12:24

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/177/167
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default women - urgent question

Ok. In the past few months I have had breakthru bleeding and such, that lasted maaaany days. It was no fun. I cheated for the Thanksgiving holiday and had bad carbs. I even gained a couple pounds (oh well).

Here's the thing: I am on the pill. I always start the day after I finish the pack - which would've been Sunday. See where I'm going with this? Uh huh. Now it's Weds and I haven't started. I had a preg test left over from 2 years ago, but (a) it's expired, and (b) I tried it anyway and nothing happened - the control window didn't get a line, so it's obviously not working.

My question: could cheating have affected my hormones in a DIFFERENT way?

Have any of you ever missed a period WHILE ON THE PILL - while MOSTLY doing LC?

Need to know if I should go see a dr, be patient, or what. Since I do drink alcohol (bad me, I know, but I like it so...) I should know one way or another.

Suggestions? Help?!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 13:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

Hi there,

I can't say I have been in your situation, but if you have been LCing a wee while then any hormonal effects should have had a chance to even out. If things had been pretty normal up until recently I'd say that is the case for you.

I suggest you whip to the store and get a new pregnancy test, or off to the doctor

I hope you get the news you are wanting - whichever way that is

Lesley
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 13:46

Plan: low salt
Stats: 207/236/160 Female 5'10"
BF:44.1%/33.86%/?
Progress: -62%
Post Been there

I have been on the pill for years. After going back to strict LCing earlier this year, my TOM was all of the following:

A) late
B) early
C) short
D) long
E) in between TOMs

I think you will be o.k., but see a doctor if it puts your mind at rest.

Good luck,
Julie
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 16:09

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

My periods were wacky the first few months on Atkins (April-August) and yes, I skipped one period, had breakthrough bleeding 2x, one period was so bad I thought I was dying - heavy cramping, bleeding, you name it!! Last 2 months I have regulated somewhat - - my periods are on time, they last a normal 4 days, and yes, I do have some nasty cramping but MIDOL helps.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 18:44

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Break-through bleeding in the first 1 - 3 months is not unusual. Nor is a change in cycle length in people who aren't on the pill. It can be shorter, longer, heavier, lighter, skip one, get one early........

You could 1) go get another preg. test & know for sure. Or 2) wait for another 4 weeks & see what develops. Go with your comfort level & either find out or not. I guess it depends on your situation, marital status, and lots of etc.

#6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 08:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/177/167
BF:
Progress: 68%

I'm married with 1 son, almost 17 months old. It wouldn't be bad if I got pregnant, but we'd rather wait until we can afford it, as we just bought a condo.

I took another pg test yesterday - negative. I've never missed a period or been late while on the pill (10+ years except for when I was pregnant/nursing).

Also, I've been on Atkins since 7/5 - over 5 months. That should be long enough for everything to straighten out.

I guess I'll wait a few weeks and go into the dr if nothing happens. Thanks, all.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 10:40
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Just recently I had breakthrough bleeding and a period out of nowhere right after...and I'm on the pill. Also on Atkins since April. I know in my case it was stress...did you maybe have something happen recently that maybe shook you up?

Sounds like you'll be fine, but these things can make you start asking all kinds of Q's.