Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 13:18

Plan: Atkins 9/29/02 Somersize 4/4/03
Stats: 26/22/10
BF:57%/46%/25%
Progress: 25%
Unhappy Tired of eating meat

I need help. I've been on Atkins since 9/29 and am doing very well. But I'm getting so sick and tired of eating meat. I don't know what to do. I do eat veggies and some nuts occasionally, but lately, I haven't been eating much at all because the thought of another piece of meat nearly makes my stomach turn. Does anyone have some suggestions for me? Maybe I should think about switching plans, I don't know... Please help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 14:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/260/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%

What about veal, chicken, shrimp, salmon, tuna, cornish game hen, different kinds of fish, egg dishes and quiches, turkey, pork, lamb, etc. Stir fries are also nice. I actually love meat and could eat it everyday, but I know not everyone feels this way. Can you alternate different types of protein throughout your week?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 17:34

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

NiNiDo...

How about having a look through the recipes forum? You may find some recipes there that may give you ideas for different protein sources or new ways to fix the meats you eat. Just plain meat gets rather boring after a while. Shake things up a bit!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 20:08

Stats: 134.5/130.5/110
BF:don't want to know
Progress: 16%
Wink

I know what you mean. First try tofu, and eat more nuts for varied sources of protein. If you like them, macademia are the best Atkinswise. Pecans, walnuts, and peanuts are okay.

Having said that, I started Atkins about three years ago and have had a heluva time staying on it. I go off and on alot, because I don't like eating meat. I was a vegetarian for about 15 years. Now I eat meat once or twice a week, and would eat it more if I could stomach it, so I know how you feel. I'm forcing myself to eat more fish. I just had Talapia and it has a very mild taste. For myself, I've decided to allow myself the occasional potato, for when I'm really craving the carbs, especially if I'm not feeling well. It seems to hit the spot and really satisfy me, and allows me not to stray too far. Everyone's different, but I find that as long as I stay away from sugar and grains, I still lose weight and feel good. I try to eat them with alittle protein or fat to lower the glycemic index. They're not a binge food for me, and I just bake them one at a time, so it is alot better than just going off. So if you feel yourself slipping, give it a try.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 11:36

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 59%

Get creative! One of my favorite foods recently was chicken salad with avacado. Delicious! I also love taco salad.

It's easy to get into a rut with this program. Try at least one or two new recipes a week, then develop your own menus based on favorites. If I'm feeling bored, I glance over my menus, and always can find something that makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

Tami
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 20:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Don't forget soups and stews, too. I make a low-carb chili that my husband prefers to the old bean chili I used to make. I use lots of fresh chopped onion and mushroom instead of beans, chili powder, garlic, and low-carb salsa for flavoring, lots of meat and some tomato paste. It is filling and flavorful. My friend who is also on Atkins uses canned soybeans for hers because her family doesn't care for mushrooms or onions that much.

Also, I ADORE cream of mushroom soup made with fresh Portabello mushrooms and real cream!

Low-carb hush puppies are so good my daughter will eat them. (She's HARD to please.)

I do wish I could get a tortilla batter that didn't fall apart, though. Every recipe I've tried either ends up like scrambled eggs or too soft pancakey. (Good for pancakes, but not usable as tortilla shells.)
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 09:18

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Great suggestions here! You might try checking the recipe section on the forum for cream cheese recipes. I use a lot of cream cheese, cheese, eggs, nuts, and shellfish in my diet. Meat does get old, and you don't have to eat nearly as much as you think you do. This is a WOL, not a diet, so it is really important to tweek your food plan in a way that you can live with it. Happy experimenting and welcome! Cindi
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 14:51

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268/218/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

You have to put the effort in to make things you eat exciting..if your just eating a chunk of meat with veggies for every dinner (like alot of people do)..you will definately get board..use your imagination..there are a million different varieties/idea/recipes out there
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 16:37

Plan: Atkins 9/29/02 Somersize 4/4/03
Stats: 26/22/10
BF:57%/46%/25%
Progress: 25%

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. Since my post, I've bought a couple of low carb cookbooks, and copied some recipes i've found on the site. I'm going to start experimenting this week. Wish me luck!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 00:42
Registered Member

Stats: 320/295/190
BF:
Progress: 19%

I know the feeling, it does get old. I'm not much on trying tomake different dishes, so I end up just eating the same old stuff. If it weren't for chickens I would have straved by now. I just try to look at it as , well I'm not hungry on the diet and what I do eat satisfies me. So I just try not to put eating at the top of my list, try to find other things to fill the void, stick with it.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 10:41

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 59%

Yendor,

My husband is a little like you. When he's "on" a diet, he's religiously strict, and eats the minimal amount of the handiest food. I'll ask him what he wants for dinner, and he'll tell me that it doesn't matter. "Plain chicken and plain lettuce is fine." He says, "I just force it down, so it doesn't matter."

I have to tell you, I HATE this attitude (my husband's, not yours). It's a sure fire way to eventually go off program and revert to old eating habits which will invariably put the weight right back on. You need to find NEW things that please you, that are within your comfort zone regarding cost and ease of preparation. Sure, it takes a little effort. For myself, it was the very fact that I was trying to take the easiest/tastiest way to eating that put me here in the first place (fast foods & processed, pre-packaged foods at home).

I'd love to be able to change my husband's attitude by showing him the wide variety of foods allowed on this program that can keep eating a joy, and I encourage you to try to as well.

Tami
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 11:37

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile Ditto...

I second that advice about looking for LC recipes all over this site and others...

Sometimes the tastiest solutions are so easy. I found it was helpful to make up about 2 weeks worth of menus so that I didn't have to repeat things too often (unless I wanted to). And think about variations on things you already enjoy.

Just for instance, with ground beef I can make:

meatloaf
Salisbury Steak (w/brown gravy)
meatballs
meatballs with onions, peppers, mushrooms covered with cheese
bacon cheeseburgers
Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole
Bacon Cheeseburger Quiche
Ground Beef Stroganoff

See what I mean? Now do the same thing with chicken, etc...

Good luck and healthy (yummy) eating!

Donald
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 15:42

Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Freydis,

Low carb hush puppies?? Is the recipe on this site? If not would you post it? I live in the South and I really really miss hush puppies.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 16:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Low-Carbohydrate Hush Puppies

2&1/4 cups soy powder (or half flaxseed meal)
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. finely chopped onion or onion powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1&1/2 cups cream
6 eggs

Combine all ingredients. Fry spoonfuls in hot (375 degree) oil. Fry until browned on all sides.
Makes approx. 40 good-sized hush puppies per batch. Approx. 1 carb/2 hush puppies.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 17:19

Plan: LC food combining w/BFL
Stats: 210/178.5/145
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Hush Puppies!

I am so glad you just posted the recipe!!!! I will have to try this...