Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 12:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 187/182/145
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Still having hunger pains.....

I have been on induction for 6 days now and still having hunger pains. They are not as bad as when I first started but what i ahve read says that they should of stopped on days 3. I am also having trouble in the morning. I am already getting tired ofeggs. I miss sitting down with the kids and eating lucky charms(boy do i miss the marshmellows...LOL). I am living on a food budget of $150 a month for a family of 3. I have a ton of meat in the freezer but dont have snack type food. Cheese is getting boring as is bolgona. I can only keep so many cucumbers and peppers in the house before they go bad. Can I have PB for a snack?? I love PB on anything.

TIA

Buffy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 13:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

Hi Buffy,

When you say hunger...do you mean "weak and dizzy" or that empty tummy feeling?

If it is weak and dizzy try adding in a few more veggies. Dr A says that for some people 20gr is just too low and they need to up the level a bit to be comfortable. If it is empty tummy, then have something to eat Eat until you are satisfied without stuffing yourself. You should never have to feel hungry doing low carb

For snacks peanut butter will be fine once you are past induction...so try to last the distance. Unfortunately snacks are a bit boring on induction cos you have to stick to the list of induction foods. One thing that a lot of people have is pork rinds.

HTH

Lesley
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 13:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 187/182/145
BF:
Progress: 12%

Hunger pains meaning the empty tummy feeling(stomach growling) I did not think that I was suppose to eat every 3 to 4 hours. That is when this starts. I do eat till I am statisfied but feel like eating every 3 to 4 hours is way to much(but that is just me...guess i have to get used to this new way of living). Is there anything i can do about water? I hate the taste of it. but also dont want to drink a ton of tea since i like my very sweet.

Buffy
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 14:37

Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

Hi Buffy,

Eating every three to 4 hours is perfect That is just your body telling you that it is ready for food again. Out bodies are actually better at processing smaller quantities more often, than thery are of dealing with three large meals...so don't worry about that.

I eat 5 -6 times per day...and yes it takes a bit of getting used to after the low fat days...where it wasa challenge to last as long as you could without eating That's the great thing about this way of eating...you never have to be hungry

As for water...well there is no substitute, so you really need to acquire a taste for it I'm afraid. You can use some diet drinks which are artificially sweetened but that should be the exception rather than the rule. In time you will adjust and start to look forward to the water. I have a sipper bottle with me all the time, and before I know it I have gotten through 3-4 litres.

Keep plugging away. I'm sure you'll get used to it

Lesley
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 15:10

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

I may be corrected, but try sparkling water with a "touch" of lemon and splenda as well as regular water, that may help. Watch the amount of lemon though, it has carbs. I also use crytal lite - it has asparthame though which isn't good for some - it doesn't affect me negatively at all.

I'm wondering what you get for $150 a month for the family in groceries, I may need some tips from you - my groceries are about $700 + per month for two people.

Good luck.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 20:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Limes have fewer carbs, so that's what I use. Plus, I just like the flavor better.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 21:16

Stats: 224/224/150 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Arrow me too

I'm with you...
I have been on induction since 12/3/02 and am still very hungry...eating more often is fine, but I am eating more often with large portions.
I have been feeling better mentally but have not noticed any physical changes as of yet.
The only splurges I have allowed myself were coffee w/ artificial sweetner and cream and an occassional diet soda..and these were just on the weekend for the most part.
Hopefully, we will both see a change soon.
Good Luck to you.
Happy Holidays
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 21:20

Stats: 222/207/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Yes, but did you ever think you would find a diet that when your hungry you can just eat more! Even though it's more meat, more eggs, more bacon, more chicken, more pork chops, more steak, more cheese, more pork rinds, more salad, more water.

Guess what? It's more and it's ok!!

Keep your chin up and have confidence that this too shall pass and you can do it.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 21:26

Stats: 224/224/150 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Post Thanks

Thanks for your response pjaye. You are absolutely right..and I intend on hanging in there.
I actually have done Atkins before..with similar results..feeling good mentally but nothing showing elsewhere. This time I am trying to really minimize cheese, cream, aspartame, dressing, etc.
Hopefully, that will do the trick.
Take care
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 21:56

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

The only way I can drink water is if it is very, very cold. Crushed ice works best on getting it cold enough for me to drink.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 21:58
Registered Member

Stats: 320/295/190
BF:
Progress: 19%

It may just be me but I equate (cravings) with to many carbs. Carbs / sugar tend to give you carvings. Once the carbs get out of your system a couple of days later you start burning the fat and the hunger pains go away. Cheat and the pains come back. I'm never really hungry of the diet, I just eat when I think I need to . But a diet is a diet, all the other diets I've been on I feel like I'm starving always craving food. At least this one you can eat as much as you want as long as your eating the right things and you don't have the hunger pains. Stick with it.