Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 16:48
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 184.5/182.3/150
BF:39/39/25
Progress: 6%
Default Not balancing RMs...

Hey everyone!

I started CAD on Saturday... so far, so good! I really like it!

However, I feel like my RMs aren't very balanced... however, I feel satisfied after the meal and am not eating past my 60 minutes. If this is happening, can I still gain weight?

I'm loving this system so far and hoping that it works...

Emily
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 17:04
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Two things to remember
1. You may gain 2-3 pounds in moving to or going on CAD.
2. Your weight fluctuates every day.

Otherwise it is very common when moving to CAD to have very unbalanced RMs in the beginning. It is the syndrome of the kid in the candy shop. For a long time you deprived yourself of the foods allowed on CAD, therefore you now tend to go overboard. More balance will creep in after a while. And no, you won't gain weight as long as you adhere to CM and the 60 minute rules which keeps your insulin under control. How much weight you lose during this time really depends on your own particular body chemistry. Some people lose quite well with unbalanced RMs, some lose more slowly and some don't lose at all.

Give yourself time to get used to this WOE (way of eating).
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 18:25
Registered Member

Default Thanks Zuleika

Zuleika,

Thanks so much for the quick reply. Much appreciated! You're totally in the know on this CAD thing.

You mentioned that it's possible I'll gain at first... does it then turn to straight losing (I'm hoping?) Does that even make sense?

You seem to have been very successful on this program. How long has it taken you to lose this weight?

Thanks in advance,
Emily
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 19:37
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Emily
I've been CADing for 8-10 years. Most years I've just lost the weight in summer that I put on in the winter due to the effects of SAD. However, since I've moved from Boston, MA to Washington, DC my SAD has gotten better and I've lost 150 pounds over three years including/accounting for my SAD increases every winter. I am sure that I will reach my goal in another 2 years or so.

As I said before, everyone's weight fluctuates from day to day and due to PMS and TOM effects as well. That is why the Hellers recommend that you weigh daily and average weekly. This allows you to see the true downward trend of your weight without freaking out over the daily ups and downs.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 20:42

Stats: 244/226.5/140
BF:
Progress: 17%

I have been on this woe for more than a month now, and I still overdoit some days. The only time I see weight gain the next day from a RM, is if I went over (even by a few minutes) the hour, or it was a REALLY salty meal (ie, chinese foods). I will also get massive headaches if I consume too much sugar.

But the cool part, is that I am not hungry EVER. I haven't been gaining weight, and the loss has slowed down ( over 10lbs in one month) but I can still see it. I am averaging about a 1.6 lbs drop for the last two weeks. I hope it stays that way!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 05:33
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies guys!

Zuleika: I'm in Boston too! Where are you from?

luv67fire: What are your typical RMs? Just curious, I'd like to compare....

Thanks,

Emily
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 09:20
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Emily
I lived in the South End on Mass Ave. It was great! I love Boston and my family has been in Boston and Massachusetts for generations! I just couldn't take the cloudy weather there any more! Where do you live?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 09:38
Registered Member

Stats: 189/184/160
BF:

I started CAD about a week and a half ago and had trouble getting my RM under control. The last couple of days have been much better without any effort on my part. I think after the first week or so, you will find that this meal is much easier to control without even thinking about it. Good luck!!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 13:16
Registered Member

Zuleika: I actually live in Somerville... have my entire life, except for four years of college, where I was in upstate NY... I love it here and the weather does stink but my family is here so I can't imagine leaving... although sometimes the warm weather is tempting...

1pepper: That's great that your RMs got in order on their own. I hope that happens to me! I went a little crazy for my RM today... eek! You look like you're doing really well with this!

luv67fire: I forgot to ask you earlier, did you lose all that weight with CAD?

Talk to you all later!
Emily
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 14:49

Stats: 244/226.5/140
BF:

Emily,

First answer:

My RM's have normalled out, but once or twice a week, I do go overboard. My "normal" RM is green beans, chicken and a dessert of some kind.

BUT, my "overboard" ones are usually when I eat out. Like Red Robins have this awesome chicken burger, I got that with fries and a strawberry lemonade. NOT balanced. I usually stall from the salt but otherwise, it doesn't make me gain. (Unless it is Chinese... pure sodium, carbs and MSG)

I also have a problem with drinking water DURING a meal. A lot of water. It is not healthy to do this in the first place, but after the meal it makes me feel SOO incredibly stuff I feel gross.

I guess I am just still "immature" in the ways of RM. I have been low-fatting for so long, that it is miraculous to me! LOL

Second answer:

I haven't lost a LOT of weight, but 15 pounds has came off and stayed off so far. Yes, it has all been with CAD. Including some bad RMs! This is the holiday season, and while it has slowed down, I am still averaging around 1.6 lbs per week, so that is SO much better than gaining.

Anyways, I'm sure your RMs will start slowing down. I know I missed broccoli after a few RMs without it, so on my normal days it is broccoli and carrots, or a baked potatoe. I love those high carb veggies, so the RM comes in handy with those.