Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 09:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 110/110/100
BF:
Progress: 0%
Angry Me vs. The Fridge

Well, after 6 blissfully successful Induction days, I went and did it: I cheated. Aside from the frustration at having failed AGAIN, I'm also getting more than mad at myself. I have a brain - why do I keep eating when I know it makes me unhappy later? It's as though the rational part of my just *shuts* right off as soon as food comes in sight. I was even proud of myself for having behaved at a huge family reunion yesterday afternoon, but apparently my mental happy-dance was premature since I binged on fruits, cereal and yogurt when I got in.

*sigh*

Rant aside, a quick induction-question: how does it work if you happen to go over 20g? Do you always have to start over? (Trust me, I know I do now). Can you 'substitute' fat-free cottage cheese with 3.3g of carbs per serving if your carbs are low that day? I know the book says no for something like a slice of bread, but the cottage cheese is not quite the same, no? What about cheese recommendations? Is going over the 4oz going to slow me down, or do I also have to start over?

I only wish I could find the self-discipline and willpower to stick to this JUST ONCE and feel good again. . .

Any help is appreciated!
Jennifer
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 20:17
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Jennifer.

I see no reason to start over again just because you go over 20 g of carbs. 20 g isn't a magic number; it's just what you aim for. After all, people on Protein Power, for example, still lose on 30-40 g carbs per day. People on other plans eat even more than that.

Re: the cottage cheese: you could use the lower fat kind, but you have to read the labels. Often, the fat is replaced with starch, which drives up the carb count. It's the same thing for other dairy products, too; as well as salad dressings. Different brands will vary. When in doubt, go full fat.

Re: the 4 oz of cheese: I think it's limited to 4 oz because it contains about a gram of carbs per oz. Some people eat more, some avoid it completely because it stalls them. You'll have to see what works best for you.

I do hope you're eating enough This WOE is supposed to be satisfying. Don't let yourself go hungry!

Best of luck...

Last edited by Kristine : Mon, Dec-09-02 at 20:19.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 05:54
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

You didn't really cheat (I hate that word! LOL!), you made a bad decision that day. I don't think one day makes you have to start over. If you find Atkins too restrictive or hard to keep up with, try another low carb plan. As Kristine mentioned, there are others that allow more carbs at the beginning. With only 10 pounds to lose it may take a little while, so it is important that you don't get too discouraged. It will be easier if you find a plan that you really like and can incorporate into your life. Remember that you are doing this for your long term health.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 12:15

BF:

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

I do find it easy to get discouraged when the number "20" is flashing through my head all day. . .Given that it is a new lifestyle It'd be wise to take every day as a challenge and do the best you can. Cliched, but true.

In any case, trying to stay back on track, though holidays loom. *shudder*

Again, thanks for the advice
jje
p.s.
In Canada, we have Liberty Cottage cheese, skim milk (no fat), but for 1/3 cup has 3 grams of carbs. It's no salt and thick, thick thick: if you're seriously in a bind for sweets, you can add splenda to it and cinnamon and pretend it's cheesecake
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 14:55

Stats: 220/202/160
BF:
Progress: 30%

Jodifer:

According to your last post you mentioned no fat skim milk and in your first post you mentioned fat free cottage cheese. This WOE is not about low fat and fat free. It took me several weeks but I cured myself of that. I eat full fat on all items and lots of fat on my meat. Low fat and fat free items actually have more carbs in them from fillers added to make the product taste better.

It sounds like you're trying to eat low fat and non fat items. If you are you will be hungry. Full fat items really reduce the hunger cravings. Maybe that's why you are having a hard time staying on this WOE. I ate lots of fat from the start and have never had hunger cravings. It made it much easier to stay on induction!

Katie
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 17:32

BF:

hey -
thanks for the advice. I know that i'm supposed to throw those worries out the window, but it's just so hard to convince myself that high fat is ok. After years and years of watching fat content, i feel as though i'll be struck with lightning if i guiltlessly indulge in a fatty meat, or cream instead of skim milk in my coffee. It's silly, I know, but I suppose we're socialized in different ways, and my family has always stuck with low-cal, low fat AND i'm usually so hungry on those types of diets.

I suppose I've just gotta take the plunge sometime~!

jje