Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 10:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/112/107 Female 5'3"
BF:?
Progress: 90%
Question Keto Stix

My keto stix never ever turn a dark color. I've got to be in ketosis since I've been following this WOE to the letter for over 2 months now. I only turn pink (around the middle of the color strip). Am I in ketosis? Should I be a darker color?

Kim
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 10:15

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%
Wink Pretty in pink

Pink is actually better because it means you're fully hydrated. Purple can be a sign of not enough water or high dietary fat consumption. Pink is beautiful. You should remember that ketones are released in other ways than urine too and since you're drinking enough water, they will be diluted.

Go ketosis!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 10:27

Stats: 155/112/107 Female 5'3"
BF:?
Progress: 90%
Thumbs up Thank You!

Skamito:

Thank you Thank you!!! You made my day. I really thought I needed to be dark purple but what you said makes a lot of sense.

I love this forum! You guys are so helpful!

Thanks again!

Kim
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 14:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins modified
Stats: 209/162.6/130 Female 5'0"
BF:?/33.9%/21%
Progress: 59%

Any shade that is not of the nuetral kind on your ketostix is great...because you are either in ketosis or not.

As for purple equaling dehydration, that's not always true. Also with regards to eating high fat causing the purple not always true.

I'm normally deep purple, on a low fat (dr. prescribed), low carb diet and drink 15-20cups of water daily. I'm definitely not consuming lots of fat and not dehydrated. It just means I burn well.

I can fall of the wagon, go nuetral and then be burning again in 1/2 to a days time - just depends on your body.

Just be glad your sticks turn a shade of pink/purple - enjoy!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 14:41

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268/218/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

Yep..any color is good..you either are in ketosis..or you aren't...ignore the colours..

I am one that believes the old 'dark=dehydration' story is a huge myth..i know a dozen people including myself that drink 150 oz of water a day and are always dark purple Don't believe everything you read..and don't continue spreading it unless you know it to be factualy true
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 06:51

Stats: 162/157/125 Female 5' 2"
BF:28%/28%/20%
Progress: 14%
Talking

I had been on induction about 10 days prior to Thanksgiving and only just started seeing a tinge of pink. I really had to look hard to see the pink at all. I fell off on Thanksgiving, and went back the day after. It's now a new 6 days on plan, and I'm still neutral, however, the weight is beginning to come off again, my breath is bad (I can tell because people are stepping back from me when we talk)
But that's another sure sign, so it must be working.

It would be interesting to see if [COLOR=purple] lose any faster than [COLOR=deeppink]
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 13:56

Plan: mix of Atkins/Carb Addict
Stats: 188/185/135 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default pink vs. purple...

I'm sure it depends a lot on your personal metabolism, but for me it doesn't matter whether my ketostix are pink or deep purple...I lose pretty much the same amount of weight in a week (assuming there's no sudden carb increase). Some days show more loss than others, but since I am charting a weekly average of daily weights I noticed that for me there hasn't been a huge difference. So, in my humble opinion, if your stix are coloured and the scale is dropping then go ahead and be HAPPY!!!

As a precaution against dehydration (if you're concerned) just be sure to drink as much as you need to to feel well, but don't force fluids either.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 14:43

Stats: 132/124/118
BF:
Progress: 57%

Hi everyone.
The first time I tried this diet my keto stix went the darkest purple in two days. I did lose 11 lbs in one week but I was miserable. I was very tired and weak. That is why I stopped doing the diet. This time I feel really good. I still get the headaches but when they are not bothering me I feel good and have lots of energy. My stix show (this time) that I have moderate levels of ketones in my urine. Actually until I read this post I was concerned because the last time I had no problem reaching dark purple. I feel much better now.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 15:58

Stats: 220/202/160
BF:
Progress: 30%

I don't register any pink at all. I've tested several days in a row now. Yesterday I was really careful to stay to the induction diet.

I bought Ketostix that are called reagent strips. They have what looks like a small piece of tan tape in the end. Am I right in assuming that is what changes color? Since printing is on the other end I assumed I hold it by the printed end.

Why am I getting no color change?? I've never really had bad breath either but I have lost 18 pounds. This doen't make any sense!! Help!

Katie
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 17:24

Plan: MyLCWOL
Stats: 485/366/210 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

I've also got the same question. I been on strict induction for over a week. Keto strip is barely showing any color, If it's not negative it's close ???

Regards,
lux