Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 08:36

Plan: Atkins (OWL)
Stats: 183/153/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Question That time of Month?

I am approaching my time of the month. I usually have major cravings for chocolate at that time. I am still on the induction plan and am wondering if anyone has had a problem with cravings during their time of the month. If cravings are too bad, would it be ok to try those peanut butter cups even though I am still on the induction plan? If I keep the carb count below 20 for the day, I am assuming it would be ok. Have any of you had a problem during this time? What do you suggest?

Thanks for the help!
Chickadee
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 08:51

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

i usually have cravings for chocolate right before my TOM. however, with this way of eating, they have subsided substantially. i made it through induction without any sweets (although it was only for 2 weeks). my advice would be to try to hold off, but if you are going to cave, the low carb sweets are better then a candy bar. good luck!!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 11:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

ANYTHING you can do to help you prevent going off of the diet, DO IT! If it takes eating fake food bars, do it. If it takes eating candy, do it. If it takes cooking special foods JUST FOR YOU, do it! Induction, or no, it's more important to be low-carbing than it is to avoid the foods that might stall you.

I would not have made it through Induction without my son's cheesecakes and soda pop with aspartame in it. I've been on this WOE since mid-March and only began avoiding aspartame two weeks ago because I wasn't ready to give up everything at once. It's hard enough to change your whole way of eating without immediately losing some of the things that make it bearable. (I will admit that I seem to be losing better since giving up the aspartame.)
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 22:08

BF:
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. I haven't been having cravings so far. Hopefully I won't get them when I have my period.

Thanks again,
Chickadee
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 22:26
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Chickie,

Do you take any supplements? L-Glutamine helped me stave off sweet cravings (not at TOM - I don't do that any more. ).
With any luck, you'll be fine anyway, but the glutamine might be worth considering if necessary.

The other thing that helps with sweet cravings is to eat a snack that's high in protein and fat.

Technically the low carb bars are allowed on Induction, but as they stall many people, I'd never recommend them. They contain hidden carbs, aka sugar alcohols. You can read more about them in "Low Carb Tips" on the orange bar at the top of the screen.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 21:31

BF:
Default Vitamins

Hello Rosebud!

I like your name!

I take a multi-vitamin. That is it so far. I am not having cravings at all right now, and I hope I don't get any. My biggest craving used to be bread. I actually made homemade rolls for my family and wasn't even tempted to have a hot one straight from the oven. It is pretty amazing how restricting your carbs makes them less tantalizing. I hope this will continue to be the case.

No bread, no chocolate
Chickadee
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 17:08

Plan: Atkins/CAD/Now?
Stats: 216/210.5/110?? Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

Try the Carbolite candy bars. They sell them at Wal Mart, they are 1.2 net carbs and they taste just like a Hershey bar. They are about a buck a bar but they make a huge variety and they are perfect for a chocolate craving.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 19:19

Stats: 210+/188/140 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 89%

Ya, I have cravings during that TOM. I just had SF jello w/ whipped cream or on special occasions made LC desserts found on this site or other LC sites. So even though it may have been cheating a little, it was still LC and didn't stall me or keep me from losing. Like LC cheesecakes, LC chocolate pudding of sorts, etc. Kept me from going completely off this WOL and worked out fine. I am off induction now onto OWL. So I would recommend trying these things if you want, and if they stall you or cause weight gain...you know for next time. =) It never hurts to try. Good luck w/ the cravings!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 20:14

Stats: 282/269/130
BF:started Nov 30 '02
Progress: 9%

I understand cravings - I am in my 11th day of induction and have been thinking about carbs more now than when I first began. I have to give myself frequent pep talks about what I want. I say my starting weight - 282 pounds and know that if I don't following this way of eating I will go right back there and then some. I really, realy don't want that!!

My main source of motivation has been from visiting tinakaye.com - Tina lost over 73 pounds low carbing and her pictures really tell the tale - it's fantastic! I can do that - I can lost the weight and look and feel better.

That TOM only lasts a few days - you are on the journey to win - hang in there rewards are on their way!!