Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 10:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/143/98 Female 4'10"
BF:
Progress: -22%
Default need help

Hi - I am a newcomer and have lots of questions about this diet.
But I will limit it to just a couple of questions today.
First question is - embarrassing - but this new diet makes it very hard for me to have a bowel movement - I am still in the induction period - where you're permitted to have 20 carbs a day. I tried the psyllium husks but recommended dosage says 3 tsp. and says it has 9 carbs. And this didn't even help with my problem.
But using up 9 carbs with the psyllium left very little carbs for food for the rest of the day.
Another question - I really don't understand when the label says carbs 15 grams but effective carbs is only 1 - For instance an Adkins candy bar.
I am definetly a sweet-aholic - and have to have something sweet after I eat. It definetly helps to eat just a little something sweet to satisfy that craving. I was really happy to find the Adkins candy bar. But should I be worring about these carbs that say they are not effective carbs. I do not have the 2002 version of Adkins book - I bought my book about 2 years ago. And sadly to say am just now trying to get serious about this diet.
I had read something that said Adkins has changed his view on the effective carbs .
A couple of years ago when I tried to do the diet - I just couldn't stick with it. I am really trying to make a stronger effort this time. And the wide variety of things you have to chose from at the low carb store is helpful!!
I would appreciate any help that you can send my way - It is really encouraging reading the posts on this forum.
I am trying not to get overwhelmed - I don't have very much will power (in fact none) Right now I am trying to do the 20 grams induction phase.
By the way is the induction phase still considered to be 20 grams of carbs for 2 weeks ?
Thanks - Any advise is appreciated!!! Sharon
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 12:43

Stats: 178/166.0/140 Female 5'9"/174cm
BF:30.4/30.4/25?
Progress: 32%

Yes, Induction is still 2 weeks long and limited to 20 grams of carbs per day. But now it's net carbs - which means you can deduct/ignore fiber carbs, as it is not digested and won't effect your insulin levels. Which brings me to the psyllium - check the label - I would bet that all or almost all of those 9 carbs are fiber.

The low carb bars have a YMMV effect - but they do stall many people. Check out this article about Sweetener Info, it has a chapter on Sugar Alcohols - which is the sweetener used in those bars.

If you need a refresher on the inductions foods and rules, you can visit The Atkins Center
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 15:33
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Sharon,

I use psyllium daily and Thelma is right - the carb count is all fibre. It will work eventually. You should be drinking plenty of water anyway but with the psyllium, it is even more important. Lots of water and lots of vegies along with the psyllium and you'll be "going" again in no time.

It would be a great idea to get hold of the latest Atkins book if you can. Maybe your library has it if you don't want to shell out more cash, although having your own copy is best. I still frequently refer to mine.

Cheers, Sharon, and please feel free to ask more questions.

Rosebud