Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-09-07, 07:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 146.8/145/135 Female 5 feet nine inches
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Binges and Weight Gain

Hi all,

I got back from a trip to an all inclusive a few weeks ago where I went off plan and now have been having a hard time getting back on the wagon. I have re-started 3 times and do ok during the beginning of the week but once the weekend hits I go on a binge. Anyhow, I only gained 4 lbs from my vacation but with each binge my weight seems to get higher. I start over and it goes down again to the same weight and then I binge and it goes higher than it ever was! My question is, has anyone else found this sort of pattern with binging and weight gain and how do I get a handle on it? What causes the weight gaing to be higher with each binge? I usually binge on the same foods. When I started Atkins I was 145 lbs and my weight has crept up to 147.5 lbs
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-09-07, 09:12

Plan: Reduced Calorie LC w/ IF
Stats: 190/130/115 Female 5'6"
BF:Still Too High!
Progress: 80%

This is one of those, you just have to STICK WITH IT situations, I think! Think of how you will feel in 6 months if you have gained back ALL the weight. I know it isn't easy to stick with it, especially on a re-start, and when you really don't have THAT much to lose... But it's worth it. Tell yourself you'll allow yourself a binge if you choose (on low carb foods) each weekend... Like make a lot of ribs or wings, or whatever it is you like to binge on. But stay on plan. You can do it!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-09-07, 09:16
Lover of Life

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 233/169/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 88%

I binge too but always manage to get back on plan next day!! Most of the time I binge with allowable foods but then go crazy with fried pork skins and the salt makes me blow up to a huge balloon.

Don't beat yourself up just give yourself positive affirmations and it will pass but it does take a lot of strength to keep going. It took me over a year to break my stall. Now that I look back on it I really wasn't committing myself and being good. Now I am and it is going down.

It's hard....very hard I know.

HN
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-09-07, 09:32
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Yes, that happened to me. My weight was creeping higher and higher when I was binging twice a week. I have still not gotten back to my lowest yet, even though I'm breaking plan about once a week now. I guess one has to stop binging completely for them to return to lowest weight.

What causes the weight gain to be higher with each binge?

I think you already know the answer to that, don't you???
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-09-07, 09:38

BF:

Soooo true...all of it! I'm glad I am not the only one!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-09-07, 10:44

Stats: 320/232/180 Female 5 ft 3
BF:
Progress:

you remind me of me.. ;-)

i have found that the best rule is don't stray far of the low carb path. if i fall in the carb pit.. what helps me is WATER WATER WATER.... that also helps me not to binge... i guess cause i am full of water.. haha.. i started at 320 my lowest drop was to 230 maybe once to 227 but then climbed back to 248 currently fluctuating between 232 and 240 ... it is a struggle.. i keep a photo of my loss photos in my wall in my office.. now bear in mind i have a PUBLIC job i am a probation officer so lots come in and out of my office... i keep this photo for me to remember i don't want to return to where i was in 7-2003... i have a saying on my monitor "don't dig your grave with your own knife and fork" the cheats and binges ... we have all been there and then afterward are like... Gee what did that accomplish execpt having to lay down to button the pants.

hang in there... i am right there with you!!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-09-07, 11:04

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

This is a binge on high carb stuff right? I don't "binge" anymore, but do allow myself off plan food every few weeks, with the awareness that eating high carb foods will temporarily cause a lot of craving for more high carb food. That's insulin talking. That's the period I brace myself, keep eating high fat, low carb and have faith that in a few days the cravings will be gone. However if you have trouble getting back on track, it's better not to start on the high carb foods at all. I know that's likely easier said than done.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-09-07, 11:22

BF:

[QUOTE=cbodessa]you remind me of me.. ;-)

we have all been there and then afterward are like... Gee what did that accomplish execpt having to lay down to button the pants.

hang in there... i am right there with you!![/QUOTE

I call the stage afterward bingers remorse! I also get a similar feeling (without the self loathing) when I go shopping. Maybe if I have a binge I should try it make it all legal foods. The problem is when I am good I am very good and when I am bad I am very very bad!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 09:16

Stats: 320/232/180 Female 5 ft 3
BF:
Progress:

I feel your pain... i used to say what the heck already messed up this day so just eat what ya want and get back on track tomorrow.... I have found that not taking the first bite of whatever it is.. is the only way i can totally avoid the pitfalls. if i have and the cravings are there i take celery to work to munch on if needed.. celery and water are my saving from falling off the wagon.. i did great for over a year then started slipping some ; i am really working hard to stay on track; when i am at work i do fine it is home time that gets me ; kids at home and stress eating ; try celery to curb the munchies and water to keep you full it works for me.. just need to work now on reprograming my brain :-)
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 11:21

Plan: Atkins/High Fat Atkins
Stats: 184/157/135 Female 66 in
BF:I/aint/tellin
Progress: 55%

One thing I find to help me to keep from binging is to make sure I eat enough legal foods during each meal and not allowing too much time between meals! If I don't eat enough or allow too many hours between meals, I turn into this huge beast that craves anything I can get my hot little paws on!!!

Also, are you getting enough fat in your meals? I am currently doing a higher fat version of Atkins and I find that it has REALLY dimished any craving for carbs or for sweet things. It has even tamed my "soda" monster that loves drinking diet soda! Maybe this will help you too?

The good thing is that you KEEP getting back on the horse. You should congratulate yourself for that! It is tough for a lot of people to come back after a binge! You are doing the right thing! I know you will make it!!!!

Laurie
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 11:55

BF:

I have been trying to do a higher fat version of atkins so hopefully that will help with the cravings! Thanks for all the great ideas!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 12:23
Registered Member

Stats: 190/178/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 30%

What are you binge eating with? I mean what foods do you miss, are you craving something etc....there are lots of alternatives to the things you really wish you could eat ! There is a wealth of ideas, and recipes here.

Self control! Thats what its all about. Let me tell you how many times I crave margarita, tortilla chips and guacamole LOL! Especially with this summer weather. I have a vodka/soda water with a lime, and some snacks instead - pork rinds, string cheese, ranch with celery, etc...
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-11-07, 10:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 216/195/140 Female 5 6
BF:
Progress: 28%

binging has always been a problem for me. there have been times where i have eaten 3 different meals in the time i come home from work and go to bed. it was awful...the more carby foods i eat the more i want....

"u can never get enough of what you dont really need" (Bono)

now that i have truly committed myself i do not binge. if i feel a binge coming i drink a ton of water and if that doesnt work i go to bed...even if its early. all of my binging impulses come at night when im relaxed, and the food is abundant and free

i have also deceided if i must indulge it can only be on low carb snacks....like low carb ices or no a carb chocolate square. i will never indulge on regualr foods again...at least i hope.

this time around i got my bf involved. i told him that i really want to do this and i need his help. i need the person i live with to be gestapo. i gave him a list of permissable items. he has agreed to remind me when he sees me with something not on the list.