Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-02, 11:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 266/266/160
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default A new member needs help.

First of all I'd just like to say hello to everyone. My name is Peter a 33 yearold male who lives near Liverpool in the UK. Thats the good part the bad part is ive been a couch potato for a few years. (can i mention potato in this forum.?)
That is one of the reasons I need help. I have just purchased the atkins diet plan. But to my suprise it dosnt include any menus . The nearest I do to cooking is boiling the kettle. So the help I need besides cooking lessons and a fire alarm is simple menus that a monkey could make. Is there anywhere can find menus. Are there any ready made meals that I can purchase or even boil in a bag. Is there someone that can help or am I past all help.
This probably isnt the place i should post this but any help that can be provided is welcome. Even if it is just pointing me to the right forum.
Thank You for reading and any help you can give.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-02, 11:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Take a look at the kitchen area here on this forum - lots of great ideas! Plus there is the "Low-Carb recipe" area in the orange bar the top of the forum.

Plus take a look at gold ole' Dr. Atkins website for a few ideas:

http://atkinscenter.com/food/cooking-at-home.html
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-02, 11:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Peter, and invaluable tool besides the Atkins book itself, is the support of this forum. I can't tell you how many times I have been informed, supported, picked-up and cheered by the people here. My advice: make this a regular stop in the morning, post your questions and concerns, let us know how you're doing and what you need help with, and make yourself a regular.

Remember, induction is strict...20 gms. of carbs a day, water until your back teeth float, and NO exceptions to the rules. After that...it's a cake walk. (Can I say cake in this forum??)

#4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-02, 11:52

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Peter,

Rest assured you are not the only newbie that has crossed our forum with the lack of cooking skills when it comes to low carbin it.

Talon has pointed you in the right direction. Besides the orange bar above pointing you to the recipes, we also have off the main forum page about midway down a "Kitchen" forum were all our wonderful members post their own versions of favorite dishes.

So welcome aboard and make yourself comfortable. If you run into a problem just ask. I am sure one of us will be more than happy to answer your questions.

Janet
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 10:43
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Welcome Peter!

I, too, don't cook much. Mostly because it is a pain in the neck to cook for one person. My personal philosophy is that if it doesn't go in the microwave or the toaster oven-I ain't fixing it.

While "fresh" foods are way better for you I do go into the frozen food section of the store and get low carb products I can stick in the microwave. I am not sure what is available in the UK, but you can look for hamburgers and things. Just don't forget the bun is not good!

You can also look at this as an opportunity to learn to cook. You might enjoy it. I know a lot of people that find cooking to be a relaxing activity.

Here is another site that offers a lot of low carb recipes:

http://www.carb-lite.au.com/index.html

Paleoanth