Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-07, 08:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/161/145 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 77%
Talking Not Trying to Make Anyone Mad

I am posting this in the War Zone because I am sure some people will sharply disagree with what I have to say, but I think I have a valid point, and I want to make it.

I have seen many threads lately started by people asking others to join in and list their favorite high carb feast that they would eat if they could eat carbs again. Things like "What did you NOT eat today." and "Last Supper", and "Eating at Your Worst".

I have not looked at these threads beyond the original posts because I don't feel it's healthy to dwell on "oh, I MISS doughnuts!" and "If I could, I would eat a huge Hershey's bar with Almonds".

Pining away for the old "friends" you had when you were eating sweets and other carb foods that were not good for you, is a formula for failure in my opinion.

Any "diet" has to be a LIFESTYLE change in order to work. In order for it to be a lifestyle change, one has to change the way of thinking from "I can't" to "I choose not to". Otherwise, all it takes is one bad day, and your old "friends" will be calling you from the snack cake aisle to come see them and stay a while. And you'll answer with a big YES!

Stop dwelling on the things of yesterday and look forward to the day when you can slip into a size you haven't worn in ten years. You'll feel much, MUCH better!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-07, 08:19

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I agree with you 100%. I also think it would be very discouraging for a newbie to read those posts. I guess I don't really even think about what I "miss" in the carb arena as I feel so much better, physically and emotionally when eating this way. But then, it's my choice not to read those threads...so like you, I don't!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-07, 08:24

Plan: 00000000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 0000
BF:
Progress: 38%

I stay FAR, FAR away from those threads, I fear they may be potentially triggering for me. I am a recovering binger, and I don't want to take the chance.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-07, 08:29
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

You assume that discussion = dwelling and pining. That's where I think you're wrong. I have no problem discussing the crapola I used to eat. If other folks in a fragile state of low-carb-dom wouldn't get any use out of such conversation, they don't have to participate. It's everyone's own responsibility to decide what discussions would be helpful or unhelpful to them.

Last edited by Kristine : Mon, Feb-26-07 at 08:34.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-07, 08:34
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I like the "what did you NOT eat today" thread. To me, it's a celebration of those small victories of passing those things by that call your name.

It's cheaper than therapy.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-07, 08:39

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

I posted on the last meal thread, if only to give a different point of view, because Ive been sugar'n'starch free for so long that I don't even want what my favorite meal used to be any more. So I explained that and gave the low-carb version of it.

I'm still kinda new around here, but it still seems odd to me that a place devoted to helping people stay on the straight and narrow low carb lifestyle would have so many threads devoted to what you miss about your old way of eating.

I only ever went to one OA meeting in my life, but the friend who used to go regularly told me that they would never mention the name of any particular foods (just "healthy food" or "trigger food"), because if they did, they might inadvertently end up being responsible for someone with that food as a trigger being tempted to overeat again.

At any rate, I don't miss my old way of eating at all. I admit it's more difficult to eat when travelling, and requires a lot more planning and preparation to eat only foods that wont' cause a reaction for me, but I feel so much better without them that it's worth it, and even though certain things might sound good momentarily to me, I only have to think about how I'm going to feel after eating them before I decide not to even seek them out.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-07, 08:48
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Quote:
they might inadvertently end up being responsible for someone with that food as a trigger being tempted to overeat again.

Wow, they must be some interesting meetings.

Threads generally go in cycles. One person will see a particular topic, then post their own thread related to it. Hang around, you'll see.

Sometimes, I don't even think it's that there are so MANY threads on a particular topic, but the fact I'm struggling with an issue, so they bother me more.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-07, 08:56

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
Wow, they must be some interesting meetings.

Yeah, I got nothing out of the meeting, oddly enough. Wonder why?

Which is why I never went back, I hate it when people are so vague about things. I needed Instead I listened to them read from one of the books they used (they passed it around for each person to read a little to the group), and everyone said "welcome!" when someone would introduce themselves and admit they were an overeater.

The friend I went to the meeting with thought it was soooo wonderful that I could admit my overeating at the very first meeting. What the...? I wouldn't have even been there if I didn't already know I was an overeater, that I had a serious problem and needed help. But the meeting itself was no help, no help at all.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-07, 09:25

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/158/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 82%

I guess we all have to whine in our own way. That's why I'm glad there's a relatively safe place like this to do it. Lots of "ears"--but nobody HAS to listen.

For my part, I try to encourage newbies to think long-term as well--towards establishing a total change in their way of eating, including a new frame of reference. To me, that means NOT reconstructing old carb-eating habits with "low-carb" substitutes. However, for many people, these replacement foods are the ticket to success.

I've been a yo-yo dieter for enough years (decades!) to realize that there's no such thing as "normal" eating for me. Finally finding a way that seems pleasant and sustainable fills me with gratitude.

Last edited by bkloots : Mon, Feb-26-07 at 11:15.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-07, 11:02

Plan: atkins, paleo, vlc
Stats: 186/186/154 Female 60inches
BF:o/m/g
Progress: 0%

"I stay FAR, FAR away from those threads, I fear they may be potentially triggering for me. I am a recovering binger, and I don't want to take the chance."

At this point, I agree totally with the above. This point being, yet again back on the wagon after about three years' yo-yoing. Hopefully I'll get past that stage, but now I don't want to dwell on what I don't eat any more.

It's backward-looking. For me, it's more constructive to be forward-looking and that means feeling light and limber again, being able to fit into my skinny clothes again.
Zan
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-07, 11:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/172/140 Female 65 inches
BF:YES!
Progress: 60%

THANK YOU!!! As a newbie, I think about what I can't have all the time! There is no sense in whining about it. And it certainly won't help curb the cravings. Those threads are not helpful for me.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-07, 11:41

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 198.5/183/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

i don't usually care to say what i would have if i could, no use dwelling on that, but a thread like what i did not have, that works for me. it is a small victory in a large battle. over the last couple of weeks i've been making several sweet treats i can't have and a few favorites my family hasn't had in awhile, and it takes all i have to not get into that stuff as it is my old favorites too. i like to be able to say, hey, it was tough, but i didn't give in. especially since i've had several days over the last few weeks where i've literally had to go hungry just to drop a little weight. that is highly depressing and discouraging to me. every little pick me up i can get helps.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-07, 12:30

Plan: Meat Only
Stats: 200/169.6/175 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 122%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
You assume that discussion = dwelling and pining. That's where I think you're wrong. I have no problem discussing the crapola I used to eat.

Me, too. I posted on that thread, not out of pining, but out of disbelief that I used to eat that way.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-07, 12:36
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/keckwick
Stats: 282/248/210 Male 73
BF:%/34%/25%
Progress: 47%

I started one of those threads, I think seeing past mistakes is the best way to not repeat them. I will therefore take your opinion with a grain of salt, and summarily discard it. If you don't have the will power to distinguish between talk and falling off the wagon then you SHOULD stay away. I suppose AA members should Quit because talking about it might cause them to drink again? get a grip.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-07, 12:46

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 262.2/247.2/204 Female 5ft 1/2 inch
BF:
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyChat
I have seen many threads lately started by people asking others to join in and list their favorite high carb feast that they would eat if they could eat carbs again. Things like "What did you NOT eat today." and "Last Supper", and "Eating at Your Worst".

I have not looked at these threads beyond the original posts because I don't feel it's healthy to dwell on "oh, I MISS doughnuts!" and "If I could, I would eat a huge Hershey's bar with Almonds".

Pining away for the old "friends" you had when you were eating sweets and other carb foods that were not good for you, is a formula for failure in my opinion.

Any "diet" has to be a LIFESTYLE change in order to work. In order for it to be a lifestyle change, one has to change the way of thinking from "I can't" to "I choose not to". Otherwise, all it takes is one bad day, and your old "friends" will be calling you from the snack cake aisle to come see them and stay a while. And you'll answer with a big YES!

Stop dwelling on the things of yesterday and look forward to the day when you can slip into a size you haven't worn in ten years. You'll feel much, MUCH better!

Its funny how two ppl get two such different points of view! I looked at those threads and thought of it as a way to kiss these old 'friends' goodbye. And while I did not start any of these threads, Im pretty sure I participated in at least some. Im not sure why you thought you'd make ppl mad. Having discussions on varying points of view is what this is all about, and you are entitled to your opinion. We are all free to participate or just continue on to the next thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
You assume that discussion = dwelling and pining. That's where I think you're wrong. I have no problem discussing the crapola I used to eat.

..and thinking about how I'd like to tell these 'old friends' to kiss my butt. Im with you there Kristine. I am only getting started at this LC way of life, and when I was discussing licking the "good stuff" off the zesty doritas, I just shook my head! I really used to do that! (talk about crappola!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh
i don't usually care to say what i would have if i could, no use dwelling on that, but a thread like what i did not have, that works for me. it is a small victory in a large battle.

Congrats Playdoh! every victory, no mater how small, is still a Victory!

All in all, Judychat, I'm glad you started this. Better to have ppl's opinions aired and discussed.