Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 12:00

Plan: Atkins---> CAD!
Stats: 126/116/116
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Entry Plan Question

Hope everyone is having a great day so far! It's chilly in Florida, and I'm enjoying it so much! Anyway--I had a question about the entry plan of CAD. I was planning on beginning today, but I skipped breakfast, and now I'm wondering if while on the 2 week entry plan..is it necessary to follow the 2 cm. meals, and one RM? or can I start with just one cm and one RM? I know whichever I choose I'd have to follow for the 2 weeks..so I can pick my plan for the following week; but I'm not used to eating breakfast and I usually do lunch and dinner; so eating a CM lunch, and RM dinner..WITHOUT snacking in between would fit me just fine.

still a bit nervous about making the switch from Atkins! But I'm excited to start!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 13:55
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Don't worry about it. I think the entry plan is just to get you used to CAD. Many CADers find they can't eat that many times per day once on CAD. Each CADer needs to follow his/her own body's rhythm. Many CADers get by on 1CM and 1RM.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 14:36

Plan: CAD
Stats: 244/226.5/140
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Also...

One of the reasons why the one CM and RM option is on there, is if you get in a stall or are gaining weight (from the previous plan). It is supposed to be unhealthy to lose more than 2 pounds a week, so if you are finding yourself losing more than that, than they recommend to put the other CM back in. If you are still losing more than 2 pounds even with the 2 CMs than you are supposed to add in a Complementary Snack, which is almost the same as a CM, except half the size.

But, if you are like me, and just can't see the need to stop losing more than 2 pounds a week, , than continue with one CM and one RM. I am beginning my fourth week, and have been doing the 2 CM, RM, & CS, and have lost more than 2 pounds per week. So I must REALLY have some weight to lose!! I might just need to start upping my portions during my CM's. I just REALLY haven't been feeling like eating. It has been last priority lately, which is really cool, cause that is the way a NORMAL person thinks! I think... lol

But either way, if you start feeling weak or faintish, than maybe putting in a breakfast wouldn't hurt.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 18:01

BF:

Thanks for your help! Today I got along fine with one CM (lunch) and one RM (which I am devouring right now!); although I did miss my morning coffee; is it okay to drink coffee in the morning? decaf? I usually had two little packets of splenda..; also during Atkins I would now and then eat sugar free jello after lunch (I would eat it now with my CM; the book says its okay *CAD*, but was just wondering any other opinions here on the board)

Can you please check if this menu is okay?

Morning: ran out of house late; had bottle of water

CM LUNCH: hard boiled egg, salad *lettuce*, and 2 slices of cheese

RM (dinner): lettuce with cream cheese to begin; and then a beef patty, celery, and a slice of carrot cake with a small little piece of chocolate

I'm really scared about the RM; so I'm taking it very slow. Also I am very confused with the "Salad before your RM" deal. I'm on CAD and it says that you SHOULD eat salad; but then I know of some people that don't eat salad before their RM. Dos the before the meal salad only apply to CALP?

I'm sorry for annoying everyone =D
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 07:33
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Vanessa

You can have coffee in the morning with 2 tbsp. cream. It must be drunk within 15 minutes.

Your food looks fine. Are you getting enough?

AS are limited to 3 a day

SF Jello should be fine

Salad is good and seems to help some people with weight loss, others are fine without it. Try to have it at the start and see how it goes.

If you get hunger or cravings check to see if you're having a reaction to something MSG or AS.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 13:44

BF:

I lost a pound overnight! I know it's not much, but I was surprised to see the scale go down one pound! I had carrot cake and a small chocolate bar last night (with my RM); I felt BLOATED (my stomach was used to atkins I guess.lol), and was afraid that this morning I'd find out that I had gained 3 or 4 pounds overnight!

Anyway about the Sugar Free Jello issue; it contains aspartame. During Atkins Induction I would eat jello with my lunch; so is it okay to eat a small portion of jello with my CM lunch, even though it has aspartame? I have one or 2 packets of splenda with my morning coffee (only drink coffee with splenda once a day). I just dont want to stall with the artificial sweeteners.

I'm having a really hard time with my starting salad and vegggies during RM. The only greens I like ..are lettuce, and celery. Not much choice there :-(
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 15:11

Plan: Six week Body Makeover
Stats: 251.4/220.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Hi, Vanessa.....congratulations on starting out w/ a good loss! You must feel pretty good right about now. Well, expect to continue feeling good, and seeing your weight go down, too. Maybe not quite so much as a pound a day, but you should see a downward trend. The Hellers recommend daily weights, weekly averages and subtracting this week's average from last week's to see what your loss is. This helps smooth out the ups and downs, you see.

Your first day's menus look great! And that "stuffed" feeling is pretty common. As you eat a bit less that will go away. But isn't it nice to not be hungry all the time? Whoooo-hoooo!!!!!!

The aspartame is something that differs among us CAs. I don't use it because it gives me headaches, and I've read some pretty scary stuff about the side effects, but I did use Splenda while on Atkins, and honey, I don't care if I NEVER have any artificial sweetener again. I'll stick to good ol' sugar from here on in.

But if you want to use it, take the opportunity to listen to your body. That's something that isn't stressed quite as much on Atkins, so you may need to get used to it. But it's easy. Have something, stop and see how it treats you, make up your mind to have it or lose it. That's about it.

On the greens issue, it's going to get pretty boring eating only lettuce and celery. You may want to try a different salad vegetable each time you shop...never can tell, you might find some that you like! But the salad is not mandatory on CAD; at least one all but one of the plans. So play it by ear, listen to your body and succeed!

Take care....
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 17:17

Plan: CAD
Stats: 244/226.5/140
BF:
Progress: 17%

I've actually been in a teeny stall the past 3 days. I believe that it is mostly because of the artificial sweetners I've been using. So I'm gonna quit that, and see if I start to lose again.

Like other said, just watch and see what your body says. Mine is obviously releasing insulin afterwards, whereas yours may not. Totally varies from person to person.

Also, if you are just starting (you are within the first two weeks) CAD, than you are supposed to eat a salad to start off. However, I think that is mostly to get you full, so you don't binge on the high carbs.

When you shop for veggies, remember that broccoli, carrots, etc. are higher carbs and if you eat them during your RM, then you are using up your high carb portion, and have to also have low carb veggies as well.

I'm starting to switch, high carb veggies or fruit one day, dessert the next day. That's mostly because I am getting used to this woe, and not really craving breads or desserts much anymore.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 17:55

Plan: Six week Body Makeover
Stats: 251.4/220.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally posted by luv67fire
snip

I'm starting to switch, high carb veggies or fruit one day, dessert the next day. That's mostly because I am getting used to this woe, and not really craving breads or desserts much anymore.

Isn't that wonderful? And it happened so quickly, too. I am simply amazed! Yay, us!!!