Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-07, 20:29
No Excuses!!

Plan: Atkins/M&E/Very LC
Stats: 295/264/125 Female 5'2"
BF:ALOT!!!!!!!!
Progress: 18%
Default I need to ask 2 important questions???

HOW MANY GRAMS OF FAT AND PROTEIN SHOULD I BE CONSUMING????

I did the M&E fast for 6 days.Feel great !! Have lost 6 lbs so far and am definitely in ketosis.Want to start in Atkins Induction tommorrow.Again this is my 3rd and last attemt.I plan on being successful this time. Plan to stay on it til I am down at least to with in 50 pounds of my goal.( I have 185 to loose)Then I will start to add back a few carbs at a time in the form of veggies.I want to keep the carbs for the first few months down to 10 or less.I dont ever want to get over about 40 a day.I feel better when they are lower. ********I dont care about doing it fast I just want to do it right for a longterm permanent WOL .********** I am reworking the menus in the book to suit what I like to eat. I want to keep my calories to around 1500 a day as this is for weight loss right now . I figured around 75-90 gr fat & 120-160 gr protein ?? Does this sound off??I have read & re read this DANDR but I am info overloaded & just need advice.
I am also drinking 160 oz water daily and excersising 5 days week.3 of the 5 days are at curves & I walk every day. I am going to start pilates & or light weights on the 2 off days. I take LOTS of supplements.No concerns there.
Really just wondering about the fats & proteins.
Just a couple of questions I need help with from folks who might know or point me in the direction if the right links to go to etc etc.
Also feel free to PM to let me know. Any more info & help is always appreciated. Thanks

Star*
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-07, 20:47

Plan: South Beach (was Atkins)
Stats: 150/141/125 Female 62 inches
BF:Apparently
Progress: 36%

You should really consider buying a book. You do not need to count fat and protien. Eat as much as you want. You should eat less than 20 grams of carbs. But seriously, buy a book so you know what you're doing. I recommend Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-07, 21:26
No Excuses!!

Thank you Nanang for that. But like my last post says I have read the DANDR infact I have 3 copies of the book.I realize that you dont need to count calories and fat according to the book but lets say What if you do want to count them???
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-07, 21:31

Plan: South Beach (was Atkins)
Stats: 150/141/125 Female 62 inches
BF:Apparently
Progress: 36%

Check out this web page. It says how many calories you should consume and protein vs. fat. It's down around the middle of the page.

http://www.biblelife.org/plateau.htm

I'm not a doctor and I have no idea if they know what they're talking about on this page. I just saw it earlier in the day and thought it might be appropriate.

Sorry about skimming your original post. This should help you.

Last edited by NanAng : Sun, Jan-07-07 at 21:48.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-07, 21:36
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Quote:
I have read & re read this DANDR but I am info overloaded & just need advice.

Some of us bothered to read your first post. I love both fat and protein, so never bothered to track percentages, but perhaps someone will come along with a more accurate suggestion. You might try the search function.

Also just wanted to say "welcome" and good luck. Sounds as though you are off to a good start.

Kay
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-07, 22:01

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%

Truthfully, I think at the weight you have listed, you should consume more than 1500 calories.

Atkins doesn't really give you percentages. I guess you could take your 20gr of carbs at 4 calories per gram, and subtract that from your 1500. (or divide it by it if you really want a percentage figure) Protein Power does have an opinion about protein. They feel that to save your existing lean body weight (read muscle) you should eat a certain amount of protein. They have this horribly long formula, but there's a shortcut. Take your current weight and divide it by 5.2. This is the minimum of protein per meal (figuring 3 meals a day) to protect your muscle. So, what you could do, is then subtract the grams of protein at 4 calories a gram,(times 3 for the whole day) from what's left after you subtract your carbs and there's your fat allocation.

I really think you should eat more than 1500 at your current weight. Good luck!

ETA: (and if anyone sees a mathmatical error, feel free to correct it )
291/5.2=55.96gr per meal, 223.84 cal per meal )671.52 calories from protein at a minimum per day. (45%)
20g*4=80 calories of carbohydrates per day at induction level. (5%)
Leaves roughly 83 grams of fat (748.48 cal) (50%)

Hope this helps!

Last edited by 2bthinner! : Sun, Jan-07-07 at 22:13.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-07, 22:22
No Excuses!!

Thanks to "ALL " for the info.Very !very! helpful.

2bthinner- can you explain your reasoning on why I should have more calories?? What would you up it to if it were you??
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-07, 22:37

I've seen many posters here testify that they lose when they eat more.
Here's FitDay's breakdown of your calorie use at your current weight. (mine is in my signature line)

Average Calories Burned
cals %total
Total: 2931
Basal: 2021 69%
Lifestyle: 910 31% Seated work
Activities: 0 0%

Mine at 204 is
Average Calories Burned
cals %total
Total: 2384
Basal: 1644 69%
Lifestyle: 740 31%

I'm shooting for 1500 myself, which is a little below my current basal (baseline, laying in bed, sleeping calorie consumption). So, I guess my answer is a little below your current basal calorie use..

Lifestyle level is seated work.
You on the other hand, are quite active, and not eating enough while exercising makes it difficult for your body to do everything you're asking it to do.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-07, 22:47

I've also seen the figure of 10 calories per pound of your current weight to lose weight. But, there's different schools of thought on that. I've also seen 10 calories per pound for your goal weight.

So, since my goal is 135, my calorie consumption, to lose would be 1350.00. But, if I eat three meals, I have a hard time staying under that as we eat out a lot. My DH can't cook himself, so it's his way of cooking. Even trying to eat low carb, you eat several ounces of steak and you're easily over 400 calories.

I really believe with all the exercise you're doing, you can easily consume 2000 and still lose weight. It'll give you some breathing room and you won't be stuck with a severly limited menu..

ETA:
My calories consumed according to FitDay at my goal weight.
Average Calories Burned
cals %total
Total: 1950
Basal: 1345 69%
Lifestyle: 605 31%
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-07, 22:49

Plan: WW
Stats: 265/244/150 Female 5'1
BF:

Sometimes, when we have done something before and have read and re-read, we tend to forget to keep it simple. So simply, it says:

"I want you to be totally, shockingly unafraid to eat fat during these two weeks. Fat is much more ketosis inducing than protein. After all, 58% of protein will become glucogenic amino acids, ie convertible to glucose, but only 10% of fat will become its glycerol portion which is similarly convertible."

That is in regards to induction. However, one of the main reasons for induction is to get your body into ketosis/lipolysis. Which should naturally reduce caloric daily totals, due to the appetite supression and satiey.

So there's what I am going by and what has worked before for me. Nice to meet ya!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-08-07, 00:28
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I know you say that you dont care about doing it fast but you want to make it a lifestyle change. I think that is a great attitude but wanting to stick to no more than 10g carbs a day, limiting yourself to 1500 calories per day and trying to control percentages of every macronutrient you ingest honestly sounds to me like a way to try and get fast loss rather than turn this into a way of life.

I agree that it is good and healthy to spend time focusing on a new way of eating in the beginning and it should be an important priority, but its also good to remember that we are not robots. There is a lot going on in our body from electrical impulses in our brain and down. There really is no ideal formula that works for everyone. What works for you is what you try and what you find makes you feel good. Part of turning this into a wol is learning from our mistakes. Trying different things and finding what works the best for us whether that is eating at 2000 calories a day and 50g of veggie carbs or at 1000 calories a day with just meat and eggs. Also, what works best for us also includes what works best into our life as something we can maintain forever, not have problems at social functions or while traveling and not be cost prohibitive.

For some people a 70/25/5% is ideal for others an 80/17/3% is ideal and still for others a 60/30/10% is ideal.

I would really stress just trying to take it easy. Eat until you are satisfied, use fitday at the end of the day to plug in what you ate, think about how you felt that day/week/month. Are you still hungry? Do you have cravings? Are you getting all the nutrients you need? Are you regular? Do you have enough energy throughout the day? Are you sleeping well? Are you moody? Do you have highs and lows during the day? How is your new WOE affecting your partner, friends, children, family, coworkers? Is it financially sustainable?

Use your answers to those questions to try and improve/modify your plan and really fine tune it to suit your life and individual needs. Let your body guide you. You will find that you can come up with something much more enjoyable, sustainable and realistic for your individual life that way than trying to use charts and graphs to plan every little detail of your food. Try seeing how you feel at different levels for a week or 2 at a time to give it a chance and then see where you feel best and stick to it for a while and dont be afraid to change that either. You might feel great at a certain level of calories/carbs etc. for a while and then find that after you lose 30 or 50 pounds something else will work better for you and that may also include increasing calories or carbs.

I am not trying to be rude or mean, I am just offering suggestions that I have learned through years of dieting and low carbing that I found to be helpful for most people.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-08-07, 01:31
No Excuses!!

Thanks all for the suggestions and advise I welcome it all.

Mj - i certainly dont ever take it as rude or mean. I like the diverse opinions of everyone. I do agree with all you have said.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-08-07, 04:41

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 212/181/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Here is a ratio I found after reading about this doctor's diet:
1 : 2.5 - 3.5 : 0.8
Protein: Fat :Carbs

Here is the link to read all about it:
The Optimal Diet
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-08-07, 04:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 316/238/170 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 53%

My best advice - for the first 8 weeks, don't count your calories or fat - keep focussed on keeping your carbs down, and learning your body's eating signals - figuring out when you are "satisfied" vs. stuffed. If you start gungho, and counting calories, you are going to get hungry,and chances are this will not last.

As you said, you want to take it slow, and be in this for the long haul. Worry about the calories later on when you are closer to midpoint to your goal weight. That is why this lifestyle works for weightloss, we aren't so stressed out figuring out grams, and calories and weighing things.

Welcome and I know you will have lots of success
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-08-07, 12:53
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

The Optimal Diet is great information, but trying to merge 2 programs into one makes things more complicated and is not needed, unless following Atkins is unsuccessful.

I actually tried the OD, and I couldn't stick to it...I was too hungry. I didn't lose any weight either, and I was totally frustrated with the counting of every single gram of every food I ate to make sure the ratios were right.

Right now, it's enough for me to count the carbs, eyeball the protein (palm of my hand as a place to start), add some fat, stop eating when I'm no longer hungry.

Star, that's what I recommend you do, too. If you want to do M&E, that's fine. But I think doing a proper Induction, as you say you're planning to do, is a better place to start. Keep in mind that if you've already been doing M&E you've likely lost alot of water already, and may not see the rapid weight loss that induction often produces.

All the best! Try to take it slow and easy, listen to your body. You can do this!