Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-17-02, 21:42
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/225/175
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default I want to get drunk...how?

hi

im on induction, im going to be on induction for another couple of months...

i want to get drunk on new years,...i want to do so with BEER.

what kind of beer can i find in a club...i read about the Michelob or something like that...but i doubt any Clubs in toronto have that..

what are some beers that you can find in most bars that are LC..

also, i wont ever drink again on induction, new years night will be the only night....if i drink a few bears and stay under 20 grams of carbs a day, would i stall? if yes for how long?

if i had 3 low carb beers, ONLY ONE NIGHT, how much weight would i gain?

thanks guys,

please understand, im 20 years old single male..and gonna be partying like crazy as i do every new years.

thanks again
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 01:15

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%
Post Light beer carb list

The thing you have to remember about alcohol is that it's not necessarily the carbs that slow loss, but when alcohol is in the system it is the first thing burned off for energy. When you're in ketosis, fat is burned for energy. When you drink, the alcohol is burned first, then ketosis should resume.

That being said, I think there are several light beers relatively low in carbs. Michelob Ultra is the one being advertised heavily as such (beer ads with joggers and bicyclists still make me crack up) It has 2.6 carbs.

My research reveals: (I was curious about this as well )
Pearl Light - 1.75
Pabst Extra light - 1.75
Michelob Ultra - 2.6
I.C. Light - 2.9
Miller Lite - 3.2
Milwaukee's Best light - 3
Coors - 5
Corona Light - 5
Keystone Light - 5
Edison Light - 6.5
Bud Light - 6.6
Amstel Light - 8
Sam Adams Light - 9.7
Michelob Light - 11.7

Since it will be New Year's, consider champagne a good choice. Found this on a web site:
Then there's the official beverage of New Year's Eve -champagne. It comes in Dry, Extra Dry, and Brut. Oddly enough, the stuff labeled "dry" is the sweet stuff! The driest is labeled "brut", and will have the fewest carbs -- just over 2 grams in a 4 oz. glass. Extra dry is about 3.5 grams per glass. Hey, drop a strawberry in that!

Anyway, hope this helps. Nice to have a little list of good beer choices!

#3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 05:10

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

How can anyone get drunk off of beer? !

Besides, beer would take like 50 bottles to get drunk, which means 50 times the carbs..

Go for the champagne atleast
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 05:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Just curious... why does partying=getting drunk? I usually associate getting drunk with hangovers, throwing up, embarassing yourself, etc. Not something I normally associate with having fun.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 06:57

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Isn't the legal drinking age 21? At least it is in Texas.

Getting drunk is highly overrated. It dehydrates the body, it gives you a headache the next morning. Not to mention your body feels like you ran it through a trash compactor.

I know it's "new" to people your age but really, it isn't all that great of a thing to do to yourself.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 07:09
Registered Member

Plan: Shoogadownsizing!
Stats: 205/145/150 Female 5'4"
BF:F/C/C
Progress: 109%

I won't preach to you on the evils of alcohol only b/c I was young once and sure did my share of underage drinking , and the legal age was 18 then. (In other words, I really don't have any room to talk.) Now that I'm a little older (okay, a lot older) and hopefully, a little wiser, if I had it to do again, I wouldn't. To go out with the intention of getting drunk is alcohol abuse. (And I thought I wasn't going to lecture on the evils of drinking.) Anyway, besides feeling like crap the next day another thing to consider is that most of us tend to lower our inhibitions while under the influence. For me, that would mean that I would "forget" that I am a lowcarber and I would not only drink, but I would be eating gargantuan amounts of carby foods. Also, keep in mind that the alcohol is going to hit you a lot harder and a lot faster than it normally would b/c you are lowcarbing.
asugar
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 10:44
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Ah...liquid courage...

...let's people "loosen up", "take risks", "be funny", "speak their minds", "play out of bounds" etc., etc., etc...

...all without having to take any responsibility for their personalities being warped for the evening. After all, it wasn't THEM, it was the ALCOHOL.

Please, enjoy your New Year's Eve, enjoy being out of control a bit...but before you party, please be adult enough to set some BOUNDARIES...

Stay inside

Stay OFF the road

Get a designated driver (I'm always the one in my group!)

Set yourself a limit

Ask the bartender to call you a cab when you're ready to go home...(they're usually FREE on NY Eve! If not, let him hold aside ten bucks for you at the beginning of the night.)

I guess there's no sense in saying "don't be an ass"... but just make sure you have yours intact when you get home!

Rock on...
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 11:56
Registered Member

Stats: 176/152/145
BF:
Progress: 77%

Other than those beers what kind of mainstream alcohol can we drink?

My usual drink is Smirnof Ice, but that has to be LOADED with sugars.

What kind of carbs do the spirits have - whiskey, vodka, etc?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 12:03

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

The clear liquiors have zero carbs in them. Just remember your body will burn that before it burns anything else.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 12:08
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by agonycat
The clear liquiors have zero carbs in them. Just remember your body will burn that before it burns anything else.

Tequila and Vodka then

What about a Scotch? I take it that's got carbs?
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 13:29

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

I don't see any harm in drinking to get drunk or merry, why else would a person drink? Anyways, Smirnoff Ice IS loaded with sugar yes, I drink vodka and diet coke or red wine or shots.

Seriously though, the alcohol really does make you crave the carbs and I plan ahead for this by having a planned cheat on a night when I know I am gonna drink.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 14:09
Registered Member

BF:

Vodka and Diet Coke? Never tried it.

How about Rum, are we allowed that?
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 14:22

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 135/108/107
BF:?
Progress: 96%
Smile Rum

#14   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 16:16
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

>>"Isn't the legal drinking age 21?"

The drinking age here in Ontario is 19. I believe it's 18 everywhere else in Canada.

I Smirnoff Ice, but it does have sugar. Instead, I've been opting for either tequila or vodka with soda and some lemon. A big advantage is that many bars offer cheap well drinks. I prefer paying $1.75 for my vodka and diet coke than $4.50 for a Smirnoff Ice.

I can't find the nutritional info on Canadian Smirnoff Ice, but don't go by the American website - in the US, Smirnoff Ice is a totally different product. It's a malt beverage.

I was at the bar last week and some folks from Bacardi were there promoting a new product called Ciclon. It's rum with added tequila and lime flavouring - no sugar. It's nice mixed with diet coke. It tastes like a long island iced tea.

>"How about Rum, are we allowed that?"

Rum is okay, as long as there are no added flavours. Coconut rum, for example, has sugar. Plain rum doesn't.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 17:05

Plan: Atkins induction AGAIN...
Stats: 242/197/199 Female 5'8.5"
BF:ALOT
Progress: 105%

I was always a drinker, not particularily heavy, I just thought it was normal to be able to drink all night long with the guys and I always felt fine in the morning. However, since Low Carbing, gone are the days I can have many drinks, believe me, you will not enjoy the low carb "drunk", you get a buzz for a short time then whammooooo,,,,sicker then a dog. As we do not have carbs to soak up the alcohol in our tummy. It is metabolized much differently and I find is not much fun. But you will need to find that out for yourself. If you are going to drink enough to get drunk that night, it won't matter what you drink. Just drink and be back on Atkins the next morning, but don't say I didn't forwarn you, you will NOT feel good.

Cindy