Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 14:00

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default How much cream cheese is OK?

Pardon me for not checking the book, but I've missplaced it (temporarily, I hope). I also tried to search, but the server kept getting overloaded.

Anyway, is there a limit to how much cream cheese you can have on the Atkins program? I've found a couple of recipes that I absolutely adore, but I hesitate to overdo the cream cheese.

Tami
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 15:15
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb

According to the list of Acceptable Foods, posted at the official Atkins website .. http://atkinscenter.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html ...
Quote:
You can consume three to four ounces daily of the following full-fat, firm, soft and semisoft aged cheeses*, including:
  • cheddar
  • cow, sheep and goat cheese
  • cream cheese
  • Gouda
  • mozzarella
  • Roquefort and other blue cheeses
  • Swiss

Just remember that amount is the total of all cheeses .. so if you have 2 oz. cheddar with your breakfast omelet, then you can only have 1 - 2 oz cream cheese later on (note - 1 oz = 2 Tbsp)

hth,

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 15:29

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

I had to give up cream cheese.

I'm addicted to it! I could eat the whole package in one sitting.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 15:52

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268/218/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

You are limited to those amounts when you're on induction...if you aren't on induction you can have as much as you want as long as you count the carbs..i eat tons of cream cheese
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 16:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/122/107
BF:?/24%/20%
Progress: 73%

I had understood that you could have up to your carb limit for the day. If you want to use all of your carbs on cream cheese heck, just do it! I make mini cheesecakes in cupcake wrappers and have 1 or 2 a day and find that I'm well under my carb limit, and still get a "sweet".
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 17:06

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

diget...

not when you're on induction. Most of your carbs should be coming from low carb veggies from the allowed list on induction. That's why cheese is limited to 3-4 ounces a day. Between 3-4 grams of carb from cheese, and another 3-4 from dressing on the salads and cream, the balance needs to be veggies. Trust me...eat your veggies and your colon will thank you for it.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 17:20

Oh, I relized that, I thought she had said that she had just finished induction. I always get my veggies in and I keep those to very lc ones so that I can enjoy other things.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 09:31
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Cheese is a problem for me too...it's so easy to add to almost any dish...then when you want to sit in front of the TV and slice some, you've already had too much.

Will have to watch the cheese today, because for the first time all week I'm up 2 pounds.

#9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 09:34

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 59%

Thanks! I thought I was probably overdoing it. It's easy to go over on cheese unless you use it basically as a condiment. I found this great recipe where you add 4 oz. of cream cheese to a small pkg. of sugar-free jello. It's soooo good that I could eat the whole recipe in one sitting. I'll still make it, but keep my portions to 1/2 cup or so!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 11:59

SthrnTami

It's a good idea to keep your portions down. I found an easy way to do so. I find that is it is in abowl, I am tempted to eat a lot. So, I made mini cheesecakes in cupcake foils. By the time I divided the carbs up by the 24 cupcakes, they ended up being less then a g each, something like .6667. That way I knew I could have a couple without problems and they are portable.

Good luck!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 12:07

Plan: Trying Atkins
Stats: 130/122/115
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default What cream cheese recipe??

What is this faulous cheesecake recipe everyone keeps mentioning? I would love to make it since I am also a cream cheese addict!

~Corie
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 12:33

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268/218/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

You can mix whip cream with cream cheese..add some sugar free syrup or some Ketoshake mix..put it in a dish to set in the fridge..then melt Ross choc bars down and pour over top..it's great
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 12:49

Default Mini Cheesecakes

I actually went to the philly cream cheese site and took the recipes from there. I did the bake one, and want to try the no bake soon.

Of Course we don't have a crust. The recipe is....
4-8oz cm ch.
1 cup sugar (replace with substitute)
1 tsp. vanilla
4 eggs

I cut this recipe in half, giving me 24 good sized cup cakes. oh, mix all but eggs until blended. Add eggs 1 at time. Bake at 300 (if in dark pan)to 325 (light pan)for 55 min. Chill in fridge about 4 hours. (I did less time, tasted great!) I also found the time to be a little long for cupcakes. Anyway, I found the Cm Ch. is 1 g carb per 2 TB ~ 1/2 recipe = 16g carb for 24 cupcakes (about .6667g per individual cupcake). The cals where very high. At 1/2 recipe it is 1600 for 24, but only comes out to about 66.667 cals per cupcake (a lot less than in a can of pop and many other foods we used to have)

I hope this helps.

Enjoy.
Dani
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 12:55

Plan: Trying Atkins
Stats: 130/122/115
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default Thanks!

Thanks so much Dani! Looking forward to making the cupcakes! Maybe for a Thanksgiving dessert
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 13:08

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally posted by Baconbabe
You are limited to those amounts when you're on induction...if you aren't on induction you can have as much as you want as long as you count the carbs..i eat tons of cream cheese

Well I wouldn't exactly go this far, nor would I recommend it. One package of cream cheese is 8 oz and at 100 calories an ounce I think people could do a lot better nutrition wise eating 800 calories of something else.

It's a nice thought, but not really nutritionally sound. Calories do matter in the long run.