Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 05:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 224/194/121 Female 155cm
BF:
Progress: 29%
Unhappy HELP

My bigges craving is that I have to have a strawberry yoghurt each morning...if I have that I can go without the carbs but that is my major downfall......is it really bad for me to have that? I know what u r saying before u have even said it...yep....so how can I go about it....please help....
Thanks
Karina
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 11:40

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 59%

I was just reading throught the synopsis of the different low-carb plans (in the Quick Links to your right). I am no expert on this by any means, but I did notice that the Go Diet evidently allows yogurt, in fact encourages eating it. The synopsis says, "It gives useful information about yoghurt, which visitors to this site will have heard before but which is new to most people. That is that the yoghurt bacteria consume 8 grams of carbs. for every cup of yogurt. So even though listed on the pack those carbs need not be counted."

Of course you would still need to avoid yogurt with sugar. Perhaps you might try using plain yogurt with a little Fifty-50 jam and a bit of Splenda.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 13:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210.0/198.0/165 Female 5'5"
BF: entirely too much
Progress: 27%

Would strawberries with real whipped cream suffice? As you move into OWL, many people eat full fat yogurt with active cultures. Maybe these could be some LC alternatives?

Hang in there, the cravings go away, but not if you yield to them!

#4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 14:22

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I eat whole pots of sour cream with a spoonful of powder type sweetener in. I suppose you could add real strawberries or some diabetic strawberry jam - I do sometimes.

Yogurt is fine. Just ry to find one without sugar in it.

Robert
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 14:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

I eat strawberry yoghurt too - but my special version. It goes like this.
Mash two fresh strawberries (or canned ones in fruit juice, drain off the juice) into 100g of full fat greek yoghurt (highish in fat, low in carbs, 4g in 100g) and add a bit of Splenda.

Delicious and only about 7 carbs - so no probs. I cheated a bit on induction, not too much and kept my carbs around 25. Seemed to still work.
Good luck, Jay
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 14:27

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

The problem isn't with the yogurt, but the other stuff they put with it.

How about plain yogurt, and then add some FRESH sliced strawberries. The stuff that is pre-made has so much sugar in it, it is what I no longer consider healthy.

Make sure you count the carbs from the strawberries and yogurt. I am sure that doing it that way is a lot cheaper on carbohydrates than the pre-made stuff.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 10:44

Plan: 60 carbs a day
Stats: 155/140/125
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post You are coming in Loud and Clear....!

I can really relate to "cravings" ... and the way that I overcame them was to substitute something else in their place if the carbo content was too high. You might try cottage cheeze and fruit salad to replace the yogert craving! Mix small amounts of fruits into the cottage cheeze, peaches, bananas, pineapple, and chopped walnuts or almonds... a few raisins....seedless grapes... works for me!

I've written a Low Carb cookbook and am in the process of getting it published. I love to cook!

... Some ideas to prevent monotony in you menu are ... Cabbage Soup ... Stuffed Cabbage ... or Peppers ...Lemon Chicken ... Chicken and Onion Soup ... They say when Judy Garland started to put on a few pounds that that chicken soup is all that they allowed her to eat at the MGM Commisary!

Liver Pate ... Chicken Livers, Mushrooms and Eggs ... Cheeze Burritos ... Spicy Carrots or Squash...Broccoli Beef... let me know what type of foods you fancy and I will send you some of my recipies...

There is a Mexican Soup called simply"Caldo" that is absolutely great to keep a big pot of in the house in case of an emergency! Buy a thick bone in roast ( I always look for specials in the meat department because this way of eating is rather expensive)

Season and brown in oil and then add water. Soup bones are a great addition to the pot! Cover and simmer the meat untill it is tender. Flavor the soup with salt and lots of fresh garlic (dice the cloves into tiny pieces) onions and cilantro. When the meat is tender remove from pot and cut into smaller pieces.

Add lots of thick pieces of carrots, cabbage, squash, (chayote if it is available) and a sliced Jalapeno pepper to the pot (if you like HOT stuff). Don't overcook the veggies! and throw the meat back into the pot. Mmmm. Serve with more fresh cilantro and add a little salsa to your bowl and sqeeze a little fresh lime in for more flavor.

My challenge is not to eat tortillas with it ... OOPs sorry I mentioned it. I keep individual bowls in the freezer to heat in the microwave...when I've been out and don't feel like cooking. It staves of the danger of eating something else because it is more CONVENIENT.

I also make a Mexican soup called "ALbondigas" which translated is little meat balls. I boil a chicken in a pot with the same spices, salt and garlic ... onions and cilantro. Remove the chicken.

I usually use it for making salad or stick it under the broiller with some lemon for another meal.

Add a can of well crushed tomatoes and when your soup comes to a boil add the meat balls. I prepare them with salt ...chopped garlic and chopped onions ...a small amount of bread crumbs ...an egg or two. Perhaps a small amount of rice substituted for the bread crumbs. You can add chopped bell peppers or carrots as well to the meat mixture.

Allow the meat balls to simmer for 20 minutes and then add thick slices of carorrots and inch square slices of bell peppers, celery is an o k veggie to add as well. Add a small amout of oregano ... don't use a heavy hand here ... or the oregano will overpower your soup....more cilantro to taste ...and when the veggies are done ... serve with salsa on the side and lime... fresh cilantro and a pinch more of fresh oregano.

Salsa is easy to make. And ...it tastes so much better when it's fresh.

Two cloves of garlic blended in a half cup of water until disolved. Simmer whole jalapenos with green tomatillos or small red tomatoes.

Remove the stems from the peppers and remove the paper like skin if using the tomatillos and their cores within a quarter inch or so from the top. Core the top pare of the tomatoe as well.

When soft... (not falling apart) drain the water from peppers and tomatoes and throw it all into the blender! Mix well but lightly. I use one jalapeno for each 4 tomatillos ...or for red salsa ...small Tomatos can be substituted. Chop onions and fresh cilantro by hand and add to the mixture. Salt to taste.

To make a more zesty salsa... leave the stems on the jalapeno peppers and roast them until their skin blackens on all sides. Place in a plastic bag and put into the freezer for half and hour and then peel the thin outer skin. It will be easy to peel. Dont worry about getting all if it off... remove the stems and some of the seeds if you wish and toss into the blender with your tomatoes or tomatillos.

Having no idea about what foods are available in your part of the world it's ... I am ashamed to say... it's tough to send along more eating ideas! Let me know if this helped any....Gwen