Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 16:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 256/181/160
BF:
Progress: 76%
Thumbs up Take off da carbs: Take off da pounds!

Hi everyone! Have been living the low-carb lifestyle now since May of this year. This is my first try at low-carbing after slowly inching my way up to tip the scales at over 250 lbs. by living the low-fat life. At 46 years of age, had kind of given up at ever being anything other than a "sturdy" woman. The one day, my daughter kinda off-handedly mentioned about a friend of hers, a chef at an Italian place no less, that had been doing the Atkin's diet with great success. The part that sold me was when she said. "You can lose weight doing all the things you normally do--even sitting there at your computer." The next day--I began and have never looked back!
Working at a hospital and being a member of the medical field, it was extremely hard to erase all the myths about weight-loss that I had been taught all through the years. Realizing that the "food pyramid" and low-fat foods full of carbs were responsible for my weight problem was half of the battle. Every day I heard, "that diet will make your kidneys fail" or "you will have a heart attack eating all that meat and fat." Now, after over 50 lbs. of weight lost, I see even the most stubborn of medical people are starting to rethink their approach. One day, I think the food pyramid could be completely flipped upside-down! (or is it that it will finally be rightside-up!!!)
So, as my final words of encouragement I say, that as with any diet or lifestyle change, you gotta stay committed but you don't have to stay hungry also. I suggest you find yourself low-carb treats (and there are plenty of them) and allow yourself to have them when cravings strike. Before beginning Atkin's, I was the worst carbohydrate offender on the planet and lived on soda pop and munchies. I now truly consider carbs to be my enemy and have gladly traded them for a "well-oiled", well-fed, leaner body!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 20:28
Vorsicht! heiß

Plan: SureSlim Wellness Clinic
Stats: 225.6/188.8/160 Female 5'8
BF:34%/24%/24%
Progress: 56%
Smile

Hey there girl,

I am so glad you have finally joined this forum...cause you are the reason I am here Thanks clrmind....love ya to bits
Now do what we all do and start your journal...so I can visit you there.

so happy you are around

Mischa
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 08:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

So glad to meet you clrmind.........I loved your post and I really needed to hear that today. You have done a marvelous job and I hope you stick around so we can get to know you better. Cindi
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 08:38
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%

wow...congratualations on your life change!! WOW!!

I am also VERY happy you have joined our little group(little??....lol)...I am looking forward to reading your journal when you get it up and running.

Once again..welcome!!
cin
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 09:09
Registered Member

Stats: 234/196/155
BF:
Progress: 48%

hi clrmind,

What an inspirational post, I have only been doing Atkins for the past couple of weeks and have had so many people tell me to be careful, how bad it is for me etc etc.. Yet, I feel better, less hungry and am losing weight. Where are all the people who are HAPPY for me!!!!

I am doing all the right things, going to get the blood work done.. drinknig lots of water, eating what I consider a balanced diet and now am about to start a walking proogramme. I am glad to hear stories like yours as I too battle with the years of lowfat indoctrination, I have to keep reminding myself that no way of eating has ever made me feel better than this and to stop listening to the prophets of doom and gloom.

Thank you !

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 08:58
Vorsicht! heiß

Default love the picture

Hi clrmind,

Good stuff ....a picture Can you believe it..I was up since before 6 AM this morning??? Saturday..man I am turning into my mother..lol.
Hope to see your journal soon...I will get the name of mine changed ...the "struggle" part is not fitting for the WOL now..and when I wrote my journal I had no idea that I hang in there daily..hehhe.
Have a great day
hugs

Mischa
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 11:33
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello and welcome!

Is that really you in that avitar? You do NOT look 46!

If I had a nickle for everyone who *low fat dieted* their way *up* the scale; I could buy myself a new computer. And a mansion.

Enjoy the forum!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 22:16

BF:
Smile So nice to meet you all!

Sorry I didn't write sooner to let you know how happy I am to meet you all! Glad to meet others who are committed to the sensible approach to weight loss. I haven't had too much time this weekend to respond to my original post, because I am a weekend worker, but watch out on my 4 days off this week! I love you all already and I know that with all this support, none of us can go wrong!!
Would appreciate any help with tried and true recipe favorites that anyone has found. Must be quick and easy--I'm a sucky cook.
Keep up the good work and don't let the low-fatters get you down--One day what they will eat will be their own words!!!!
I hope it doesn't make them
hehehehe
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 10:39
Vorsicht! heiß

Smile

Hi clrmind,

can't wait until your day's off and see you typing up a storm in here! I was tempted to post your other picture (da one with da glasses) on here..heheh but I forgot to ask you if I could. Wanted to show Kristine that you really don't look your age at all...man you look super young. (Good job with all this plastic surgery... ) Kidding aside...you must have a "youth secret" and I will get to the bottom of it sooner or later.

Mischa
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 13:15

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Welcome!

Welcome to the forum!

We’re glad you found us and welcome your participation.

For me, participation in the forum is an essential component in my LC WOE. I find the kind of information, support and community here that I need to reach my weight loss and better health goals. I hope you will too.

I’d also like to invite you to stop by the Triple Digits Club, for people with 100+ lbs to lose. While you may or may not need to lose as much as others there, you’ll find the threads full of inspiration. We hold back nothing.

Here's a link to some recipes http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes.html

Good luck on your LC journey!

Donald
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 16:26
Vorsicht! heiß

Clrmind, I have read your story in my journal and replied to you there...wow what a night you had. I bet you are dragging your butt now?

I hope I will catch you tonight for a while. I wanted to color my hair today but I am running out of time. At 3 PM its Dr. Phil time keeping me motivated upstairs in my bedroom..lol, and after this I am not in the mood to start this mucky job. Man I found a lot of grey hair...and now I can't blame it on the sun bleaching my hair out Well they grey will be there tomorrow and I will do it then

Talk to you later

hugs Micha
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 17:04

BF:
Default Thanks for the invite!

After a couple of weeks of being "stalled--the weight starts to come off again!! This seems to be my typical pattern--the Lose and Stall technique. Important thing is, the there is always loss after a stall and sometimes in significant amounts!! Low-carbing makes me feel as if there is no way you can not lose. I like to think of it as feeding your metabolism to burn properly. They say that this lifestyle is a throwback to the way our early ancestors ate--hunting ang gathering. Well, just call me Cavegirl, cuz it sure seems to work!!

DWRolfe--
Thanks for the invite to the Triple Digits Club, although my goal weight is far less than 100 lbs. (4 whole pounds!) hehehe Your low-carb journey must be an incredible story indeed and am looking forward to reading your journal. Just reading the mini-profile below your aventar is an inspiration for me.

Best wishes to all who may read this and hope to be of some help to anyone who may need it. I am definately no expert on low-carbing, but will help in any way i can, which is obviously the reason we are all here.