Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 14:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/186/135
BF:
Progress: 6%
Question Birth Control and Atkins

Hi People.

I have been staying away from birth control because in the past it (the pill) has made me gain weight and have mood swings. Will the fact that I am doing Atkins change this? Has anyone tried ortho evra while on atkins? how does that compare to the pill? Do you know of any effective birth control methods (besides condom, nfp, diaphram, iud) that do not have weight gain as a side effect?

thanks

Nora

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 15:55
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Nora. As far as I know, all artificial BC hormones can cause weight gain, whether it's pills, the patch, or shots. It's kind of a gamble: one woman won't gain an ounce, another will balloon out.

Atkins won't make much of a difference over any other WOE. Estrogen is a powerful hormone and it's difficult to go against it when it tells your body to store fat.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 02:30
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I had used an IUD for the past 9 years. I had it removed to get pregnant. I had my baby and just had another one put in Wednesday. Here is the blurb from the info card they gave me.

Visit www.paragardiud.com and learn about contraception that's safe, effective, economical, reversible, and hormone-free.

Serious as well as minor side effects have been associated with IUD use. The ParaGard T 380A is recommended for women who have had at least 1 child, are in a stable, mutually monogamous relationship, and have no history of pelvic inflammatory disease. The IUD does not protect again HIV infection (AIDS) and other sexually transmitted diseases.

I know you said other than, but I really think the IUD is the way to go hormone free if you meet the requirements.

It did hurt getting it put in the first time, but the second time I barely felt any discomfort.

Beth