Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 02:31

Plan: no grain-no pain
Stats: 120/112/108
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default eating chocolate losing hope

I'm eating atleast 100g chocolate every day I have been struggeling with atkins for months and I still cant figure out on what to snack. At home I'm eating lowcarb, but it's mostly impossible to find lowcarb foods in cafeterias etc. I'm a student so most days I dont even have the time to visit cafeteria I have to eat on the run...and i'm eating chocolate cos it has the lowest carb count (50g per 100g). We dont have lowcarb bars etc and i cant belive it would be wise to be eating plain almonds all day...any ideas? cos that way i cant get my carbs below 80
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 04:26

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Hello Sugarhigh,

I think we are neighbours. (I'm in Belarus).

You must give up the chocolate or you will never go into ketosos and loose weight. There are tons of things you can snack on.

Look in any kiosk. You can see packets of dried calamares and fish which are usually eaten with beer. Try those. You can buy nuts in kiosks too.

I hard boil some eggs at home, put them in my bag and carry them around. I also buy those little processed cheeses (100g) in gastronoms and carry those around.

Seriously, you need to kick this sweet tooth habit. If you can't stand to live without the taste of chocolate, then buy some sugar free cocoa (kakao), make yourself a cup with some susli and a little slivki (cream). You can even mash the cocoa powder into some butter, add a crushed susli (sweetener) and make a sort of chocoalte substitute.

I do low carb in Belarus - and I know the Baltic states. We have more or less the same items for sale in kiosks and shops and the same cuisine. You can do low card in the Baltics no problem.

I think you are just looking for an excuse to eat chocolate.

Sorry if this all sounds a bit harsh but I think you need to develop some self control if you are to loose weight.

Good luck,

Robert
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 04:55

BF:

i know i'm looging for excuse BUT we dont have dried fish in kiosks( i think i have tried it and its gross and men dont eat it they just smell it with vodka cos its so gross and sobers , and i'm eating nuts, but eating boiled eggs and cheese in public... it would kill my sociallife I think cos it was soo easy to stop eating starches I have to go back and eat them a bit again( like buckwheat) and stop eating chocolate. I dont think those butter with cocoa ideas are good... its like metadone Theyrecommend it in weightwachers (not butter but lowfat margarine) It has to be possible to live without taste of chocolate...or we're addicts:P
What is susli? is it russian?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 05:14
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there Sugarhigh,

I'd like to know how you chose your goal weight. I'd also like to know why you think you need to lose weight at all because your present weight is already on the low side of normal. If you do succeed in reaching your goal, you would be underweight.

Society today is serving us poorly by constantly showing images of skinny (often anorexic and/or bulimic) supermodels and actresses and portaying them as the ideal.

Being underweight is not ideal! In fact I fear very much that you are putting yourself at risk of an eating disorder.

Have a look at this site on Normal Eating.

You definitely need to improve your eating habits. If you really consistently eat chocolate every day at the expense of healthy food like meat and vegies, you will become sick before long.

I wish you all the very best.

Rosebud
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 05:20

Hello Sugarhigh,

Well, which is better. Eating hard boiled eggs in public or being fat in public - it's up to you! I'm sure you can snack on nuts and things. I take a container with meat, cheese, hard boiled eggs, chinese cabbage and some tomato to work every day. Also I visit a canteen and have salad, meat (no kasha or potatos) and stuffed eggs.

The butter and cocoa thing is great. Butter is healthy and if it stops you eating real chocolate then why not!

Susli is not Russian it is German. It is an artificial sweetener which you can put in coffee etc.

You may be able to buy diabetic chocolate depending on where you live. I know you can get it in Riga. It is made with sugar alchohols so you must be careful or you'll be running to the toilet all day!

Where are you? can you understand Russian or Belarusian?

Good luck,

Robert
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 05:25

Hello Rosebud and Sugarhigh,

Sugarhigh,

In your profile, is your weight in kilos or pounds? If it is in pounds you have no problem as Rosebud says. If in kilos that is another matter.

Robert
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 05:36

BF:

hey Rosebuds and Robert

Rosebuds: i know I'm not huge but I have very light bones (My parents considered ballet, but this is really a thing that makes people obsessed with weight) and I think Robert has noticesd how thin and fragile young russian and belarusian women are
But thats my problem- we gain very easily Thats why i'm actually not very worried if i dont get to my goalweight, if i have normal eating habits. I can remember wen i was young all we ate were potaotes and meat and dairy and vegetables, no processed food and then came feedom Its somehow ironic and now most people cant afford to buy meat and dairy and fres vegetabels. So i'm just a bit obsessed when i see all those children eating getting 80% of calories from carbs.
Robert : I'll stick with the nuts then and chinese cabbage, smoked beef and mayo it sounds simple but tastes greatI know that rigas chocolate...but i want my chocolate to be milky so i'm trying not to eat it at all, I remembered that i love cream and i ate whipped cream without sugar when i was young so i'm gonna try this
Thank you both, i've got like new energy
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 22:08
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 201/191/135
BF:
Progress: 15%

I am a fellow Chocoholic....since starting Atkins on 9/15/2002, I have lost 10 pounds, with NO chocolate! I didn't think I could do it at first, but here's what I do to get by the chocolate cravings:

I use unsweetened cocoa & Splenda on cream cheese at night for my snack.....and sometimes add whipped cream. It is sooo good, and it gets my chocolate cravings out of the way!

Good luck!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 03:41

BF:

We dont have splenda
The only sugarsubstitute is like pure aspartame and its not even sweet So no sweet stuff for me if i want to lose.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 08:34

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Sugarhigh
So no sweet stuff for me if i want to lose.

Sugar, I used to be the biggest (literally!) chocolate fiend I know. No piece of chocolate was safe if I was around. LC changed all that. Going off sugar is what did it. Do it, cold turkey, for two weeks and see if it doesn't change things for you too. Take it from a girl who used to put 4 teaspoons of the white stuff in her coffee every morning; fat tastes better and it's good for you!

Nat
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 10:00

Privjetana Sugarhigh,

Where do you live? Baltic States is three countries. You should be able to buy good sugar substitutes. The ones I buy are based on sacharine and cyclamate. I know a shop in Riga where you can buy powdered sweetener which looks like sugar.

If I can buy good sugar subsitiutes in Belarus I'm damned sure you can in the comparatively developped Baltics!

Smetana (sour cream) mixed with cocoa (kakao) powder and sweetener is about all that keeps me on the straight and narrow!

As Natrushka said, you need to get off sugar - it's addictive and very bad for you. You can kick the habit either as Natreushka did by giving it up or like I did by using substitutes.

(And by the way for all the dear readers out there, in my case eating artificially sweetened things does not make me crave sugar).

My father used to call sugar "white death".

Good luck in kicking the habit

Robert.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 11:13
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

Hi Sugarhigh,

I just want to echo what Nat said. I used to be a chocolate junkie, too. Then I went cold turkey: no more chocolate. Honestly, it works! I never crave it anymore, and my 'tolerence' has gone down. Now, a little bit every now and then is good enough.

Eating a nutritious diet will help curb cravings. Be sure to take your supplements, too. It seems to help me a lot.

Good luck.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 07:32

BF:

Hey and thank you,
I shopped today and found out that we have three kinds :mostly maltodextrine, then Cantarel and German one I think Robert mentioned (I bought that). And I already tried it with sour cream, tasted the same as with sugar
Thnx for your support

P.S. would fructose be better than white sugar?
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 11:19

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/176/125
BF:too much
Progress: 27%
Default fructose is

Still just sugar.
The only way its better than white table sugar is if you are actually eating it in a piece of fruit.
:-)
Poofie!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 11:22

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Fructose might actually be worse than sugar.

Dangers of Fructose

The idea is to kick the habit completely. Is two weeks really that long to go without something? Give it a try, you might surprize yourself.

Nat