Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 08:35
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 130/130/110
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Re: post workout recovery

Quote:
Originally posted by Trainerdan
Consume something as soon after the workout as possible. I usually drink an Isopure bottled protein drink on the way home from they gym, and then eat brakfast an hour later.

I believe that the post-workout drink should be low-fat so it is absorbed more quickly, and therefore can assist in recovery faster, but that's just me.

A bar or drink works well in this situation.

uhm,my trainer sugggested to me that in order to lose weight i shouldnt eat 2hrs after my wrkout....i assume what he said is wrong ryt?
and also, whats ur stand rgdg taking anti-asthmatic drugs to get more ripped/lose weight fast?- in case ur wondering,my trainer also told me to try taking that
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 09:23

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default hmmm

After exercise (cardio or weights), your muscles need to be given the proper nutrition to ensure recovery. Otherwise, you risk muscle catabolism.

As for the anti-asthmatic meds for weight loss, he is referring to Clenbuterol. It isn't available in the US. There are some others that can be used for that, but they are very short acting and only present a tiny amount of fat loss over the standard ephedrine/caffeine stack ... but the asthma meds (besides being illegal) have many more side effects.

On a personal note, I would be wary of any trainer that is pushing drugs on their clients. It is unethical, and I am sure that he can lose his job for that.

There are many ways to naturally and legally manipulate your metabolism to enhance fat loss without using illegal medications.

Having said that, this forum is not to be used to discuss using prescription meds for weight loss. The only meds that the FDA has approved for weight loss (currently) are Meridia and Xenical. Those are the only ones I will discuss, but they both are only maginally effective.
  #123   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 11:30

Plan: Atkins 220.5lbs Jan 2007
Stats: 250/220.5/150 Female 5'5"
BF:?/?/25%
Progress: 30%
Default HELP! This is confusing!

Ok, all of those studies and articles mentioned talk about blood sugar levels and having to burn off carbohydrates if you eat first...well, since we aren't eating many carbohydrates, I don't think it should matter if we fast before exercise or not. Am I wrong here or does this whole arguement sound silly when you are already on a low carb diet?
  #124   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 08:05

Plan: Atkins/my own
Stats: 240/237/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default Questions for Trainer Dan

I'm sure these questions have been covered in this area somewhere, but there are so many posts...First: is a brisk walk first thing in the morning a good cardio workout? If so, what is the minimum amount of time I should walk?
The other is that I've read you've mentioned about Ephedra being a good fat burner. Don't the health risks outweigh the benefits? I know some people who have used it and said it really works, but I'm scared to death to try it. I definitely need something to boost my metabolism as mine has ALWAYS been very slow. I just started swimming as exercise and probably will not be able to do that much longer as the pool will start getting chilly soon.
  #125   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-02, 21:24

Default cardio

Brisk walking IS good cardio. As long as it feels like a workout. Dankar walked for a majority of his fat loss, and he did it first thing in the AM.

I usually tell people to go for a minimum of 20 minutes, but do what is comfortable for you. Just be sure to increase it a little each week so that your body won't adapt to your level of exercise.

That's a basic answer ... I could get more into it, but that should do you for a while.

As for the ephedra, check out the THERMOGENICS thread at the top of the EXERCISE forum.
  #126   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 01:16

Brisk walking is awesome for weight loss on this WOE. I walk to work every day and I lose weight continuously, even when I don't have time to make it to the gym! 30 minutes of walking in the morning is a great way to start your day...I eat breakfast about an hour before I leave the house, but whatever works best for you.
I, personally, haven't noticed any increase in weight loss from taking Ephedrine. I don't take it with cafine or anything, sometimes I'll have coffee or something, but not the triple stack you have been talking about. Is that why I haven't noticed the Ephedra doing anything for me? I find moderate exercise, 30-60 minutes a few times a week, plus a little bit of weights at least once a week has helped me tremendously
Eeeek, I ate candy for Halloween! I have to go burn it off in the morning, and back on induction for me.
  #127   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 07:46

Plan: Atkins/my own
Stats: 240/237/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 3%

Thanks, Trainer Dan. I'll check it out.
  #128   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 09:39

Default Marie B ...

To quote Nat from early on in this thread ...

Quote:
Carbohydrate (glycogen) is your body's primary and preferred energy source. When your primary fuel source is in short supply, this forces your body to tap into its secondary or reserve energy source; body fat.

If you do cardio immediately after eating a meal, you'll still burn fat, but you'll burn less of it because you'll be burning off the carbohydrates you ate first . You always burn a combination of fat and carbohydrate for fuel, but depending on when you exercise, you can burn a greater proportion of fat relative to carbohydrate.

If doing cardio first thing in the morning is not an option for you, then the second best time to do it would be immediately after weight training. Lifting weights is anaerobic (carbohydrate-burning) by nature, and therefore depletes muscle glycogen. That's why a post lifting cardio session has a similar effect as morning cardio on an empty stomach.

Even if you are eating an LC diet, you are still consuming some level of carbs at each meal ... plus, if protein is circulating it can be converted glucose and used for energy by the body.

In a fasted state, you can be sure that more of the burned calories are coming from fat.
  #129   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 13:14

I did cardio on an empty stomach the other day, and then I had a snack and did some weight training....
I always do cardio first, I will start doing weights first from now on...BUT if I am working on an empty stomach first thing in the morning, should I do carido first, or can I still do weights first? And is it okay to work out for 60-90 minutes (Weights and cardio) first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach? Thanks for your input hugs
  #130   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 22:49
Registered Member

Stats: 130/130/110
BF:
Progress: 0%

ryt now im startin to do 30-45min cardio first on an empty stomache w/ xenadrine....question is ,,is it ok to eat a protein meal(scrambled eggs-2) immediately after it coz i have to catch the next aero class and do weight training next
  #131   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 23:39

Don't overdo it. Looks like you might already be at al healthy weight.
  #132   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-02, 11:51

Plan: carb/calorie cycling
Stats: 187/134/128 Female 1,59m
BF:36%/25%/21%
Progress: 90%
Default Re: I advise against this

Quote:
Originally posted by Lipo
The theory about fasted morning workouts may or may not work for you. I personally wouldn't do it because I believe that its too catabolic. The body's choice for what fuel to use is mostly driven by the demands placed on it. In the situation where glycogen stores are high (or normal) and the demand for immediate pre-oxidized fuel exists, glycogen will be used. If the demand is lower and the body has time it will make the effort to bring tri-g's out of storage. Thus you can (and do) burn fat even when glycogen is normal or higher. Now if glycogen is deleted and you place too high a demand for fast energy the body will start breaking down lean tissue (muscle) to meet the demand (glucogenesis) since oxidizing fat for fuel is a slower process. So if I were to do fasted morning workouts I'd definitely keep to low intensity cardio but I'd prefer to avoid it altogether.

Exactly... i have tried cycling to the gym for a couple of weeks now but felt miserable.. the distance was just too large and the time between getting up and exercising too long.. it is simply too catabolic.
Ever since I started eating a carb-free breakfast again, I've been able to cycle way faster to the gym than before.. and hence, I need only a fraction of the pre-workout carbs from what I used to consume before.... and the workout is much better as well.
It is beneficial to sip a cup of espresso with a bit of sweetener though..
  #133   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-02, 08:14

Stats: 131/118/112
BF:25%
Progress: 68%

Question:

I've got about 6 lbs to lose. I do 50min (at least) low intenstiy excercise 4-5 times a week (this intensity for about 2 months now). I don't eat much (1000-1300 cal a day) but my fat to carbo ratios are very high. I don't drink artificially sweetened drinks and I count carbs religiously so I know none are hidden. I take herbal diet tablets with amino acids and some natural ephedra (very small doses as I'm unbelievaly sensitive to caffeine - one cup and I'm nauseus). I also take antibiotics and vitamin a tablets for my skin. What do I need to do??? I've been stalling for +/- 3 weeks. What do I need to do???? I can't just sit back and wait it out - I'm going to scream!!!! Any ideas???
  #134   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 08:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 164/148/135
BF:
Progress: 55%
Thumbs up I learned a lot and got motivated

Thanks everyone for the great info in this thread. I had been stringently following my own program of early a.m. exercise to start my day and then got lazy for a couple weeks. Learning more about the benefits from you all has motivated me. I was up and out this morning before work even though the news was telling me it was 2 degrees F.

The only reason I had always exercised early was to avoid giving myself time to make excuses for skipping my workout later in the day. I did not realize I am getting additional benefits. Nor that I was accidentally doing something else positive for myself by having small amount of caffeine prior. And now I will make sure I fuel my muscles after as you recommended Dan.

I'm wondering about strategy for making the most of short workouts. Getting that early start morning exercise is often the only time that I can completely claim as "mine" meaning I have many demands with children, work etc. Don't we all?

What about tips for exercise that can be fit into 5 or 10 minute windows of time throughout the rest of my day?
  #135   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 17:50

Stats: 268/211/134 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 43%

opinions please:

am 55 years old, female, from completely sedentary have now been able to treadmill ~45 minutes at about 2.7 mph heart rate ~115

unsure of what my heartrates should be???

was in very bad physical shape, now better, no real med condition except obesity, lost 21 lbs so far, LC program is working

my best and most able to maintain schedule only allows me to exercise at 1pm,

I have 1 or 2 cups of homebrewed coffee with splenda and half and half until after excercise when I eat one meal of the day then snack on LC legal stuff until about 7pm

others say I should eat little meals all day long,

I somewhat understand the chemical reasoning of the cardio on fasting, would this still work for me if I fast until 1pm daily???

please, please give me your thoughts

julienne