Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-06, 01:49

Plan: Atkins original diet
Stats: 245/210/175 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lez
My patience is getting real thin with articles that say “recent studies” when what they are really saying is “I’m a doctor so I must be right.”

Another is; always consult a doctor before undertaking any diet. Why? I’m fat I need to lose weight, so why do I need a doctors permission to diet.

Next.

Lez

If your father is poor thats fate.

If your father-in-law is poor thats stupidity
If her daddy's rich, take her out for a meal; if her daddy's poor then just do what you feel.

[Mungo Gerry - In the Summertime]

Isn't "recent studies" sort of like "Our survey says" on Family Feud? [And about as relevant?]

cjl
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, May-14-06, 11:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/149.6/125 Female 61.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%

The best reason to check in with a Dr. from time to time is for baseline blood work and screening for serious conditions. ie- mammograms, PSA, colonoscopy, ...
Even people who feel healthy need to do these things.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, May-21-06, 14:18

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

I had a dr. appt, not to long ago, I have diabetes for 34 yrs. So I had to do a urine test and finger stick apon arriving, The dr, cme in said your spilling ketones, I said yup and very proud! I said my bs is good right, he looked and said yes, I said its the diet I on, he said u know this isn't good, u should be on a low fat diet, my gift of the ada low fat/high carb is 50 lbs of fat! Idots! Most Dr.'s take minimal nutrition studies in med school. We get the results of that.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 12:40

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 276/241/199 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 45%

I saw my doctor before starting.. um, I think I must be the lucky one because I love my doctor....she was formerly fat and formerly a smoker and a divorcee, in other words a real person...so she relates to what im going through on a personal level. The important thing is trusting your doctor. If you don't trust your doctor, then get a new one.

NEways, I've been doing blood tests throughout my diet (granted its only been a month so i've on done 2)...but im glad I am because 1. I adjust what I eat for max weightloss and 2. We found the that Uric acid in my blood was high, so I got a prescription to help preven gout and kidney stones.

Welps. thats my 2 cents.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 18:16
Registered Member

Plan: Carbs not
Stats: 159/124/130 Female 67 inches
BF:Playing the field
Progress: 121%

My regular doctor retired and I had to sign up for a new one. I went in just to establish care and meet the woman (big mistake!), and when I told her I was there simply to establish care because I needed a new doctor, she told me I shouldn't have come in because there was nothing wrong with me!

She perfunctorily went through my history with me while never making eye contact, and when I told her about Atkins (big mistake again!), she handed me a brochure for Weight Watchers and said, "We'll be stopping Atkins today, won't we?"

That was the only time I saw her. My search for a family doctor continues.....
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 18:28

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairOnFire
She perfunctorily went through my history with me while never making eye contact, and when I told her about Atkins (big mistake again!), she handed me a brochure for Weight Watchers and said, "We'll be stopping Atkins today, won't we?"
What was your response??? I think my response would be...."maybe you are, but I'm not!" Man, I hate that "we" crap!
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 21:31
Registered Member

Plan: Carbs not
Stats: 159/124/130 Female 67 inches
BF:Playing the field
Progress: 121%

What was your response??? I think my response would be...."maybe you are, but I'm not!" Man, I hate that "we" crap

Yeah, it's so patronizing. I couldn't believe it. Didn't really have a response - just flabbergasted that she was so curt and condescending with me. The previous doc I had who retired was so cool and we had a great rapport. However, he didn't know anything about the Atkins because I just started a month ago, so I don't know how he would have reacted, but we had a good relationship.

I guess I was also in denial that I would have a "bad experience" when mentioning Atkins. I want to take some copies of studies or abstracts in to the next doc so I'm ready!
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 21:50
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairOnFire
My regular doctor retired and I had to sign up for a new one. I went in just to establish care and meet the woman (big mistake!), and when I told her I was there simply to establish care because I needed a new doctor, she told me I shouldn't have come in because there was nothing wrong with me!

That was the only time I saw her. My search for a family doctor continues.....
Same here, only the doctor wasn't nearly so condescending. But he rushed me in and out. I saw another doctor at the same clinic the next time. I guess I can live with him. I just liked my old one a whole lot better.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 21:58
Registered Member

BF:
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
I haven't seen a doctor (professionally) in about four years. It's been about four years since I started Atkins. I just don't seem to have any health problems anymore.

I have to see a doctor to get a 'script for my chronic depression. As long as I take my pills, life is okay. Without them, I'm the meanest be-yotch you have ever met.

The other thing is that I have to order from Canada due to my lack of insurance, and Canada requires a complete physical once a year to order. Though thankfully, my last doc said I could stretch the pap smear part out to 3 years because I'm celibate.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 22:04
Registered Member

BF:
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
I don't know about gaining weight, but at 5' 9" tall, a goal weight of 135 is at the lower end of the scale unless you have a fairly small frame.

Oh my gosh! I am two inches shorter and would kill to be 135. My goal is 142, the upper end of "normal" for a medium frame.

5'9" and 135 is skinny no matter how small your bones are!
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 22:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins but tweaking
Stats: 289/232/132 Female 170cm
BF:Unknown/45%/??
Progress: 36%

Julie, I really think I'd be changing doctors! And I thought mine were bad! . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousesmom
When I went to see my doc to talk about something unrelated to weight I (foolishly) asked her what she thought my weight should be. She said I should have a BMI of AT LEAST 25!?!?! She told me that I was "underweight" with a BMI of 21. It's the last time I have asked her advice on anything.

Docs think they know it all but mine is yet another example of how little she really does know.

I made the mistake of saying "Atkins" to her one time and she told me it was dangerous to eat all that fat and meat without any veggies or fruit. She "ordered" me to stop immediately.

Each time I have seen her since she asks about my diet, tells me my weight is too low, advises me to gain 10-15# and stop my running program because it's too hard on my joints!?!?! Oh, and she wants me to take antidepressants because I wake up in the middle of the night......

So when I hear "see your doctor" I just groan! As for "studies show" - prove it with serious science - a long term study controlling for gender, chronic disease, smoking status, age etc. and THEN tell me "they say"!

Jumping off the soap box.....

Julie
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 22:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins but tweaking
Stats: 289/232/132 Female 170cm
BF:Unknown/45%/??
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbirth
Oh my gosh! I am two inches shorter and would kill to be 135. My goal is 142, the upper end of "normal" for a medium frame.

5'9" and 135 is skinny no matter how small your bones are!

Here are a couple of links to weight chart tables:
http://www.weightlossresources.co.u...ealweight_w.htm This is a UK site so a stone = 14lbs, folk.

There is another one here http://www.annecollins.com/lose_wei...eight-range.htm
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Jun-16-06, 13:02
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. B with PP supplements
Stats: 275/260/180 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

I think my Dr. is somewhere in between the extremes. He runs the tests I need and monitors the medications I take, and he gives me input, but ultimately he trusts that I know my body the best and the risks I am taking. When I refused the flu shot last year, he simply said, "The recommendation is that diabetics get the shot. If you want it, I'll have the nurse give it to you, if not, I won't." Since the flu shot has always made me sick and done nothing to help me, I happily rejected. He also found another medication for me when the typical med was one that I told him I could not tolerate. He got it approved even though it costs more and is not in the formulary. But he does repeat the standard advice and reminds me that I haven't seen the dietician when it comes to diet.

I'm not afraid to shop around, either. I had loyalty to my doctor once, and realized that there was no reason for it. That doctor constantly discouraged me and kept me on medications that were "old-school" for treating diabetes. I finally realized that I had the power to shop around and did. I've had better PCPs, but I haven't had such easy access to regular testing and meds as I have now, so I'm happy with the trade offs.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Jun-18-06, 16:30

Plan: Control Carb-own program
Stats: 188/163/125 Female 5ft  3.5 inches
BF:?
Progress: 40%

It's the same with exercise programs, why should I get my doctors permission to go out for a run? I'm sorry, but what is he going to tell me? to sit on my rear and don't exercise? If he did I wouldn't listen anyway. It's a disclaimer so you can't sue anyone. Judy
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-06, 16:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 142/125/125 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 100%

There's a great Dave Barry quote that runs something like:

"Before starting any new diet or excercise program, consult your physician. Or at least send him some money"