Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-02, 11:25
Registered Member

Plan: BFL/PP
Stats: 115/114/107
BF:32/32/25
Progress: 13%

I have always liked pork rinds. But of course considered them too high fat to eat. I love eating them without guild. In fact I think I will go melt some butter over some right now
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-02, 15:15

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Hi,

I can't get pork rinds (or pork scratchings as we British call them) in this country

My favourite snack is tvarog (a type of cream cheese, only1.7g) with powdered sweener on it, with smetana (a type of sour cream) on top topped with more sweetener - heaven.

Can somebody please tell me.

What the heck is "jerky"?

I'd never heard of it before I joined this board.

Regards from beautiful Belarus,

Robert

#18   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-02, 15:34
Registered Member

Plan: BFL/PP
Stats: 115/114/107
BF:32/32/25
Progress: 13%

Jerky is dried meat. You just cut thin slices of meat then season it and dry it. You can buy beef jerky here. Sometimes its seasoned with hot pepper or teryaki flavor. I especially like jerky made from deer meat or elk meat. Home made jerky is much better than what you buy in the store (IMHO). My son makes it all the time in our dehydrator. My brother who hunts alot makes it from wild game and dries it outside. Try it you'll like it!
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-02, 18:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/232.5/175
BF:
Progress: 14%
Talking Attn: R C Fletcher

What do yawl call grits over there? It's the main thing one must give up for Atkins!

A benefit to Atkins, is that it allows me to meet with my GrumpyOldMen clatch on sunday morning for breakfast. This morning I had soft scrambled eggs with green peppers , onions, and country ham. But a plate sure does look naked without the grits!
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-02, 20:34

Plan: general low carb eating
Stats: 150/144/125 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

I agree with NoSpectato. Just the thought of eating pork rinds turns me off. I haven't even looked in the grocery store to see if they sell them here. I would rather eat a few almonds or sunflower seeds.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 08:46
Registered Member

Stats: 165/140/130
BF:
Progress: 71%

I tell you what, I was very nervous the first time I tried pork rinds -- yet I missed the crunch and salt of potato chips so much that I just had to go for it!

Suffice it to say, a few moments after the first satisfying crunch I was hooked. I like the hot n' spicy varieties -- I really hadn't thought to substitute them for crackers with cheese, so now I'm excited to go shopping this afternoon to add that to my snack repertiore!

Thanks!
--Jinkster
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 11:15
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Since I'm DESPERATE for a snack other than nuts, I'm almost willing to buy a bag of pork rinds...except that the other day in the grocery store one of the bags was slightly opened and I put it up to my nose to smell them, and nearly fell over from the stink! I literally gagged on the spot... tell me...does the taste resemble the smell of them in the bag at all??

I'm REALLY desperate...starting induction over again today -- will need something to keep me straight!

#23   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 12:10

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

I don't like the smell of pork rinds either, and the taste, I think is certainly to be acquired - so that snack is definately off of my list. I put flavoured cream cheese on celery and then cut it up into bite size pieces to eat. Fried cheese with a splash of lemon is good too (Saganaki in Greek), or fried peperoni with cheese melted (I also put paramesean cheese on as well to make it really crispy).

Vikki
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 14:49

BF:
Talking Maybe

I personally like pork rinds but that's why they make vanilla and chocolate! Today, I ran across a bottle of "Cajun Style" olives listed as 0 carbs for 10 olives.{some others were listed as 1 carb for 5]. 3 or 4 will do me for a snack as they are quite spicey!
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 15:03

Plan: Atkins-Restarted
Stats: 140/140/140 Female 5 ' 3 "
BF:
Progress: 29%

Bob -

The olives sound so yummy!! I'll have to look around my area for them.... But just because the olives say no carbs doesn't exactly mean it.... Unfortunately, the government does not have to list the grams of carbs if it is under a certain limit (think it is .6 or .9). So you may find by using a carb counting tool (like www.fitday.com) you will get a more accurate reading.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 15:09
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Pork rinds and grits and cheese - oh my!

Macadamia nuts are WONDERFUL, unfortunately, I (and others like me) cannot eat just one. It isn't pretty.

Pork rinds alone are, in my opinion - quite nasty. However, they can be pulverized and made into breading for fish or chicken. I have also made nachos with them (seasoned hamburger, cheese -microwave then add sour cream) and this was good, too.

My favorite snack is celery and peanut butter. The carbs aren't that high and there is plenty of protein and taste.

"What's a grit?" - My Cousin Vinny
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 05:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 320/223/155
BF:52%/28%/20%
Progress: 59%
Talking Hello

Ok, so dispite the ugly faces i was making in reference to Pork Rines, I went out and bought two bags yesterday and vow to find something creative to do with them and some how make them yummy. For breading, I use the Atkins bake mix, which I like a lot, but some of the other things you mentioned seemed neat. Let me know about any other porky recipes.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 05:55

BF:
Talking Creative

Try eating them!
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 05:55

Stats: 250/220/180
BF:
Progress: 43%

:lol :lol :lol ~ CDave talking about taking his pork rinds to the theater with him, bet the people loved you! Those things are loud! :lol :lol
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 08:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 206.0/196.5/140
BF:
Default Pork Rinds..

Hi everyone..

I use my pork rinds to fry my chicken with. I use them in place of flour..I dip the chicken in egg and then roll in the pork rinds..and then fry them! It is out of this world..

I use the hot ones..and then dip in ranch dressing after frying..nothing better to me...

Laura