Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, May-25-06, 16:22

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 336/289.8/250 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 54%

I would debate that sex shouldnt be on the foundation.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, May-26-06, 16:57

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/146.2/135 Female 5'6"
BF:24.2
Progress: 71%

I have to pipe up here...just heard a good quote relating to self esteem. Something like this: "Success leads to high self esteem rather than the opposite." The idea that you have to first have great self esteem before you can succeed at whatever is often the current thinking, but this quote turns this around the other way, and I tend to agree with the turned around version, I think.

I remember reading Maslow way back when. I liked him a lot and was inspired by a lot of what he wrote. The whole psychoological issue is nice, sometimes interesting, but there appear to be so many factors in successful weight loss. Each BODY is different, as is each metabolism, hormonal profile, genetics, on and on. PLUS....we have been led over the years into eating a diet which is frighteningly conducive to weight gain...the excess of grains in our diet as one example. It's a real eye opener to read the book "Dangerous Grains" and if you read it, you'll be taking a big step towards a healthy aversion to eating grains,which are very addictive and which are strongly linked to a whole host of ailments, including lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, and yes....gaining weight.

I'm not really that much overweight....most people wouldn't think I'm overweight at all, but for me, losing that last 20 or so lbs. is the devil and I can't figure out why it should be so impossibly hard. I don't care how good I feel about myself and all these other things in my life, fact is, having the discipline to stick with a very strict diet and exercise program is hard to muster on a long term basis. I don't feel it's in any way linked to the idea of self esteem. I'm not sure Maslow would have a solution to this. Ultimately, I think you just have to want it bad enough to "do the hard work required." As much as I think I want it, perhaps I just don't want it bad enough....yet.

As Bill Phillips once said, "Knowing and doing are two different things."
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jun-06-06, 18:10
Registered Member

Plan: Carnivanderthin
Stats: 296/283.5/145 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull999999
Problem with the low cal diet is that while the person is trying to fulfill the Social Needs while neglecting the Biological and Physiological Needs by depriving the body of food and nutrients.

IMHO, the problem with a low cal diet is it leaves many people feeling HUNGRY. I'm less worried about what other people will think or if I will offend someone by not eating the birthday cake than if I am tuned in to my feelings of hunger. One diet or another has not worked for me because it left me feeling hungry or with food cravings I could not identify or satisfy.

Quote:
I believe that this is also the reason why many overweight people suffer from low self-esteem since they are having problems meeting the Social Needs. Unfortunately, it seems that the society is harder on overweight women than men, even though men usually can lose weigh quicker then women.

In my experience, the reason why many overweight people suffer from low self esteem is the abuse heaped upon them by society. If you are told enough times that you are lazy, stupid, ugly and have no self control, you will believe it. If your statement means an overweight person can't meet social needs because he/she is constantly being demeaned and ostracized by others, then I agree with your statement completely.

Yes, society is much more unforgiving of fat women than of fat men. My pet hypothesis is that it is at least partly a function of supply and demand. Women outnumber men, the exact ratio I don't know, but it starts at birth, according to my college professors. More male babies don't survive than female babies. When you get to marrying age, men can have their choice of mates because there are fewer of them than there are of women. Simplistic, I know. The reasons are many and complex, but I think this is definitely one of them.

Quote:
This is also the reason why low carb, normal cal are easier for the people to do, since this WOE fulfills the Biological and Physiological Needs by avoiding starvation.

Anything you eat helps you avoid starvation, especially junk food. But for those people who do not metabolize carbohydrates like others, specifically, for those people who are addicted to carbohydrates or have an intolerance for them, a low carb diet leaves them feeling satisfied and not hungry all the time.

I believe that there is a stronger biological component going on here than a psychological one. There is so much obesity now, according to the media. But no one is pointing out a concurrent rise in psychological dysfunction that has contributed to the obesity epidemic. The media is mostly just telling us we're eating too much junk food. Addicts always want most what is bad for them.

But I am speaking for myself only.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-06, 21:39

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 220/195.5/180 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fikirimi
IMHO, the problem with a low cal diet is it leaves many people feeling HUNGRY. I'm less worried about what other people will think or if I will offend someone by not eating the birthday cake than if I am tuned in to my feelings of hunger.

I tried low cal diets in the past and did lose weight with it but I always felt hungry and also felt weaker. I believe I'm doing well with LC WOE because it made me lose weight AND meet my body's physiological needs. Can't really worry about what others think when you are dying of hunger.

Quote:
In my experience, the reason why many overweight people suffer from low self esteem is the abuse heaped upon them by society. If you are told enough times that you are lazy, stupid, ugly and have no self control, you will believe it. If your statement means an overweight person can't meet social needs because he/she is constantly being demeaned and ostracized by others, then I agree with your statement completely.

That's exactly what I meant. I knew that overweight people generally gets treated badly, but the stories told by members of this forum actally shocked me.

Quote:
Yes, society is much more unforgiving of fat women than of fat men. My pet hypothesis is that it is at least partly a function of supply and demand.

You have a very valid point. However, I also believe that a person will be less likely to make fun of a man then a woman because making fun of a big guy will more likely to get you punched in the face. For example, I had some weight problems during high school, but I also lifted and played sports, which allowed me to have above average strength. My friends also played sports, and we were big, some lean, some not quite lean (think football linemen). I've been referred to as being "stocky" but not fat. Picture some stupid fool going upto a bunch of large football players and calling them fat.

Quote:
Anything you eat helps you avoid starvation, especially junk food. But for those people who do not metabolize carbohydrates like others, specifically, for those people who are addicted to carbohydrates or have an intolerance for them, a low carb diet leaves them feeling satisfied and not hungry all the time.

I know how that feels. When I came off of the low cal diet, I eat like there's no tomorrow. After going through several days of carb withdraw, I started to regain the energry I thought I lost forever.

Quote:
I believe that there is a stronger biological component going on here than a psychological one.

Actually, that's exactly what I am trying to say here. The point of the prymid is that psychological needs cannot be met unless your physical needs are met first.