Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-02, 14:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 243/241/140
BF:
Progress: 2%
Question low carb beer?

I saw an ad on TV the other day for low carb beer. Anyone else heard of this?
I am not a big drinker, but an occasional beer, or at least knowing I won't throw the whole diet out of whack would be nice.

Sarah
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-02, 15:33
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%
Wink it's true

There is a low-carb beer out there... it is put out by Michelob Ultra LC beer....There are some on the forum who have tried it, and said it is rather tasty. I also seen a post that said Guiness beer is relatively low carb, but you would have to check that out. Here is what Atkins says about it: "Why can't I consume alcohol when I am doing Atkins?

You should not drink alcohol during Induction, but you can drink moderate amounts of alcohol during the Ongoing Weight Loss, Pre-Maintenance and Lifetime Maintenance phases of the Atkins Nutritional ApproachTM. When given the choice, your body will burn alcohol for energy before it burns fat. But alcohol does not act as a carbohydrate so it will not interfere with burning fat in the same way that sugars and other carbohydrates do.
Alcohol consumption may also increase yeast-related symptoms, such as bloating, gas and cravings for sweets, and can therefore interfere with weight loss. Beer, which contains yeast, probably has the most yeast-forming components of any alcohol. An occasional glass of wine or vodka is the best choice. Scotch and other grain-based spirits are more likely to promote yeast problems.

Note: Use only mixers that contain no sugar or fruit juices. Even tonic water contains carbs and regular soda is made with sugar. Seltzer, club soda, mineral water and non-aspartame diet sodas are better alternatives." from his website
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-02, 16:05

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default I've tried it...

It is not very good. Has almost no taste, fizzes like a ginger ale.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-02, 06:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 243/241/140
BF:
Progress: 2%

Ok, I knew it would be too good to be true. I will just have to stick to my ice water and green tea for now.

My doctor, who is from China, said she is telling all her patients, to drink green tea. She says several so far have lost several pounds by doing nothing except drinking 1 cup after every meal.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-02, 07:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 279/235/190
BF:
Progress: 49%

I drink them on occasion and they aren't bad and haven't seemed to have any effect on my about a LB a week weight loss level.

Jeff
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-02, 10:17
Registered Member

Talking Beer Blek.... BUT....

someone give me a call should they ever come up with a low carb pina colada mix!!! I don't really care for plain beer... low carb-no carb- high carb... when I did drink it, I drank what is called red beer here... beer with tomato juice or v-8 in it... now stop making such a face... they are pretty good! But don't near compare to pina coladas... altho I cannot even remember the last time I had one... I bought a bottle of mix last spring, and it has not even been opened! And you know what... I don't even miss it~
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 09:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 238/175/120
BF:
Progress: 53%

Hey! I'm a bartender---make your own low carb pina colada mix!

Remember, rum has no carbs, but can stall you--

Use coconut milk (remember that it is sweet enough on its own not to sweeten. If it needs more, then use some Splenda)

Crushed ice (no carbs, right??)

Leaving the pineapple out of the pina colada won't be so bad...but if you REALLY want the pinapple taste, then use some dried pineapples and blend them into the mixture.

good luck!
Ana
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 09:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Michelob ultra has approximately 2.7 carbs per beer. I heard its really watered down tasting. I chose to drink Miller lite. It has about 3.7 carbs per beer, and I like the taste of it also. I also know there is low carb pina colada mix made by Baja Bob's, havent tried it but know people who enjoy it. www.lowcarbdieters.com. You will find it here.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 12:04
Registered Member

Talking Thx~

Although I am not planning on drinking anytime soon, it is nice to know that there are alternatives for one of my favorite drinks~ As far as the crushed ice... I got a food chopper so powerful it can grind cement~ but danged if I can find any recipes with it in I guess that would be what you would call a solid meal, eh? If I would drink just plain rum and coke, I could use diet rite... but those days are long gone... it's gotta taste good too~ anyhow thanks Ana and Redd for the info~ and yeah I know that alcohol can screw up my LC plan~ that's why I don't plan on drinking any for quite some time~
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 16:38

Plan: low carb
Stats: 136.6/129.4/119 Female 4 11
BF:
Progress: 41%

I tried Michelob Ultra over the weekend and i really liked - i had 8 of them, so i think that shows you how much i enjoyed them. before everyone starts yelling at me for drinking 8 beers, i am single and drinking is a major part of my weekends. i have cut down and have allowed myself only one night a weekend for drinking. i went out with the idea of drinking water between beers but that of course never happened.

try it!!