Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 07:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/170/130 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 43%
Unhappy doctor says -I'm older-body resists weight loss. Lost/gained same 7 lbs on induction.

I had my thyroid checked. My doctor says it is normal, and that my weight stall is likely due to my age. I'm 38. He says that metabolism slows down as we age. He also told me to quit low-carbing and go on a diabetic diet. He gave me a print out of the diet. It includes breads and many carbs.
I have decided not to quit lowcarbing because for the first time, I don't crave sweets and breads and pastries. In fact, I'm rarely hungry at all. I do think that maybe I should cut back on calories. I use cheese and meat and cream maybe in excess. I know I eat at least 1600 cals per day. I'm only 5'1 and weigh 185. I was exercising, but have quit because I felt like I was working so hard and not losing any weight anyway, but maybe I'll try again. I'm measuring my body and no real shrinkage yet, but I feel like perhaps my clothes are a teeny bit looser--hopeful thinking?
Get this--my doctor told me that I may have to starve my body before it gives up its fat stores--never thought I'd hear a doctor say that.
I am going to cut back on calories and stay under 30 grams of carbs. Maybe I can get out of the 185-191 loop. It's so discouraging to see the same up and down pounds week after week after week. Anyone out there relate to this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 07:59

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Just a few things.

Depending on past dieting history (have you yo-yo dieted?) and of course age has a lot to do with how fast we lose. It gets worse with each passing year.

I would add back in exercise to your routine. 3 times a week for minimum 20 minutes. Start out slow. If you try being super athelete and lifting weights and running for hours every day you will hit burn out and stop exercising. Best solution is to work into the routine slowly and build from there. This decreases the risk of muscle soreness and injury to yourself. Building lean muscle tissue by lifting weights will help jump start your metobolism back. This of course does not happen over night. It takes at least a month if not more to start seeing the results of exercising on your metobolism.

NEVER go below 1200 calories a day. Period. The after affects of starving your body is an even slower metobolism. (Personally I would find another doctor if mine had said "starve your body to lose")

I have been on Atkins for 19 months now. I have lost a total of 50 pounds and 36 inches. The closer I get to goal the slower the weight is working itself off. I have found however that the result of my exercising has allowed me to add back in foods that I once could not eat because they caused major weight gain.

Hang in there. Keep low carbing. You may want to limit your cheese intake a max 4 oz a day as it has been known to stall people.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 08:05
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Anewlife

Have you considered CAD/CADL. Many people find that once they come out of Atkins induction or add more than four lc meals/day, their weight stalls or they gain.

CAD/CADL regulates insulin levels while allowing a 60 minute reward meal which can include carbohydrates. It also addresses the problems of insulin resistance and diabetes. Adaption of this plan might allow you to lose the weight without being calorically deprived.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 08:21

Quote:
Originally posted by Zuleikaa
Anewlife

Have you considered CAD/CADL. Many people find that once they come out of Atkins induction or add more than four lc meals/day, their weight stalls or they gain.

CAD/CADL regulates insulin levels while allowing a 60 minute reward meal which can include carbohydrates. It also addresses the problems of insulin resistance and diabetes. Adaption of this plan might allow you to lose the weight without being calorically deprived.

Zuleikaa a lot of people that come out of Atkin's that migrate to CAD find out they can't control the reward meal cravings. They normally return to Atkin's because it is more structured and easy to follow.

There is a link however on the right hand side of your browser "Which low carb plan is right for me?" that outlines the various diets we support here. You might want to look through those and see which one would actually suit your needs and life style. The main point is to find one you can live with for the rest of your life

Best regards
Janet
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 08:52
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

One plan that addresses the differences between and women and the different stages in a woman's life is Thin For Good by Fred Pescatore.

His program goes into the psychology of weight loss - which few other programs even touch on - which will enable you in your quest to be thin for good, just like the cover says!

This is from the introduction:

During my years as Associate Medical Director of the Atkins Center, I realized the paradigm needed to change. I do not want people relegated to counting carbohydrates their entire lives - a new obsession that for some people has replaced the old obsessions about counting calories or fat grams. The problems with the old low-carb diets were especially evident with women, who found that eating all that meat wasn't enabling them to lose the weight they wanted.

But I agree with agonycat on the yo-yo dieting. It makes it more difficult to lose weight initially.

The preferred method for increasing your fat burning metabolism is weight training. It also reshapes your body. And, you can eat a few more calories if you weight train. Cardio is not the best thing for weight loss.

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 09:39
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%
Default individuality~

I thnk the bottom line is that each has to find something that works for them... Zuleika I can understand your wanting to share what works for you... the thing is, for so many... a reward meal with carbs as a reward, is like telling an alkie... if you go all day without drinking... you can drink at the end of the day..BUT ONLY FOR AN HOUR....then you have to stop. For many who have serious carb addiction/sensitivity/intolerance..that is a "death sentence" for the LC w/o/e because like the potato chip commercial says... ya can't stop with one. I have lost count of how many times my mom told me...you better lose it when you are young, because the older you get.,.. the harder it is... and gadz she was right! Karen has a good suggestion..., women DO go through weight loss differently than men do... and a whole array of factors are involved there. Experiment a little with the different plans... maybe a little of this plan, some of that, and some of another... it doesn't HAVE to be any set plan... it is what works for YOU! And don't always go by the scale... sometimes our body shrinks and the scale even goes up! A tape measure is also a wise investment... as well as going by what some one here called the pant-o-meter... how your clothes fit... and as far as what your dr. said about starving out your fat stores... yikes! All you are doing there is setting yourself up for your body to hold on to more fat! I lost 30 pounds in 1999 in 2 weeks... It was not safe, it was not sane, and it was not healthy, and I don't and won't even share how I done it....I not only gained it back... I gained it back and THEN some! Like the tortoise in the old proverb,the tortoise and the hare... slow and steady wins the race... You will find something that works for you~ don't give up~ and know that you have some fabulous ppl here to back you up for support~
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 11:30

BF:
Default thank you all

thank you all for your insights and interest. I have been down about this today. You've all cheered me up.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 15:25
Registered Member

Stats: 183/182/140 Female 62 in
BF:
Progress: 2%

Anewlife:

I can really empathize with your problem! I am 5'2'' and weigh 177-down from 183 after 12 faithful weeks of Atkins' induction and not much change in my measurements! I am older than you by a good bit, and I know that's part of the problem. I've also been on HRT, but I'm slowly weaning myself away, hoping to pick up a little momentum. However, I have tried all the other programs mentioned here and haven't even lost 7 pounds, so I guess I'm a little ahead on Atkins. I do feel much better eating LC and my triglycerides have dropped almost to normal, so I will continue because I think it is a better WOL for me. It would be great, though, to see some progress on the scale and the tape measure!
Brenta
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 16:01

BF:
Default it feels good to connect

Thank you for your encouragement. I felt so alone until I joined this forum. I think Aktins is the way for me also. by the way, what does HRT mean?
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 16:40

Hormone Replacement Therapy

It has been touted to help us females get through menopause without the bad effects (hot flashes, mood swings etc). They have however found a slight problem with it.

I believe there are several studies located under our research / media forum that goes into details on this if you want more information on it
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 18:14

Plan: Atkins since sept 22/02
Stats: 205/165/150 Female 5'8
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 73%
Exclamation

Holy smokes!! If 38 is old then I'm in big trouble~!!

Seriously, Anewlife, 38 is just a spring chicken. Sure you won't burn fat like a 20 year old, but you will lose easier now than in your 50's after menopause. Don''t give up!!

I can't believe your doctor said you where old. I'd give him the old "boot"and find somebody who understands LC. Remember, until the sixties, LC was the diet of choice, only since then that grains etc became all the rage. And look at the result...childhood obesity is now rampant and type 2 diabetes is starting younger and younger...so... don't give up.

Maybe you could do some more reading. Lots of great books on LC.

Good luck, Nancy
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 21:24

Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Hi Anewlife,

I'm with Nancy on this one.....at 60 I'm finding LC the easiest weight loss program ever. How old is your doctor anyway--14?
Why don't you give him the link to this site and let him see how well us "seniors" are doing, let alone the youngsters like you?

Half the battle of any major life change is psychological. Don't let someone else's erroneous beliefs (even a doctor) stop you from being successful. You can do this. Hang in there...it really does work.

judy
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-02, 05:16
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Half the battle of any major life change is psychological. Don't let someone else's erroneous beliefs (even a doctor) stop you from being successful.
Isn't THAT the truth!

Being human, we tend to believe what doctors tell us, internalize it and then make it a part of our reality. Do not let that happen to you! Reject those negative thoughts completely and always. Visualize yourself as strong, vital and filled with zeal!...able to accomplish anything you set your mind to! It works!!

Now, isn't that better?!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-02, 07:56

BF:
Default you guys are great

All the recent posts made me laugh

I needed that. I am going to stick to the program. It's been only 2 months and even though I haven't lost much weight, I feel lighter, less sluggish. I don't get weird blood sugar swings anymore--you know, the ones where you feel like someone pulled your plug--

Maybe my body just needs time to adjust before it gives up its fat stores. By the way, did any of you have muscle aches, especially in the chest area? while getting used to a LC diet?