Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 18:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 140/140/120
BF:??
Progress: 0%
Default A questiuo about nuts and seeds

Hello again,

Can someone please help me out regarding nuts and seeds. Could it be causing my plateau? I have some everyday. Should I cut it out?

Also, what is fitday and how do I join it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 19:05

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Nuts and seeds are known to be stallers for some people. The only way to know if you are one of them is to cut them out for a while and see what happens. Sometimes a stall isn't being directly caused by anything, but is merely your body taking a rest and adjusting to the weight you are at before resuming weight loss again. Stalls and plateaus are quite normal (although frustrating) on any weight loss program.
You can join Fitday for free by going to their website www.fitday.com and registering. Many members find it quite useful for tracking their daily carbs, fiber and calories. Just watch the default amounts; sometimes they are quite high like a cup of butter or mayonnaise instead of a tablespoon which can give you quite a shock on the calorie counts if you aren't paying close attention and change them.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 19:06
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

A serving size of nuts/seeds is one ounce. I am very careful to count them out and only sometimes eat two ounces if I know it is replacing a meal and it's going to be awhile before I eat again. I always have them on me for emergency situations or hunger on the go. Obviously a lot of people have a problem portioning nuts/seeds. The very worst thing you can do is eat them from the bag/container! Carbs from nuts/seeds add up fast if not kept to strict portion control.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 23:09

Stats: 140/140/120
BF:??
Progress: 0%

Thanks Lisa and Zuelikka for your feedback.

Fitday is amazing! I think I will take your advice and cut out the nuts for awhile and see if there are any changes.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 09:53

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

YES! I was eating nuts, seeds almost daily. Since I stopped and lowered my carbs and upped my protein I have lost 2 lbs since Monday. Try not eating them for a week or two and see what happens....

This also includes peanut butter or any choco bars with nuts!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 10:26

Stats: 206.0/196.5/140
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Nuts

I think it just depends on the person and their body...some can and some cant.

I usually have a few macadamia nuts every day and have continued to lose steadily now..I just try not to overdue..

Laura
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 12:13

Plan: Atkins-Restarted
Stats: 140/140/140 Female 5 ' 3 "
BF:
Progress: 29%

As much as I love nuts... I have had to cut them out for now (am still in induction). Think it was stalling me, but the weight seems to be moving a tad more now... so after induction I will start adding them a couple times a week and see what happens.

But as Lauraw said, it depends on the person.... I just tend to get carried away with the nuts.

Hope this helped....