Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 02:09

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Oh, I forgot one important thing. It is really important on this way of eating to drink lots and lots of water
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 12:47
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/124/125 Female 5"
BF:
Progress: 104%
Default Thank you all!!!!

Thank you for all the wonderful advice.... LISAN ...... thanks for spelling that out for me... I need a visual aide sometimes.. I will cust down on the cheeses I believe I eat to much of it.

The reason I think I havent lost any is.... ready for this.....
I started my monthly a WEEK early.....

All that stressing...
I know for sure I will drop a few pounds in the next week.
I am learning everyday.. I made a Turkey last night and tonight I am having salmon ... so I am adding variety in my diet.. Still going strong.... and will continue to .. thanks to this forum... THANK YOU TO ALL.... You make it easy to change my way of eating..
God Bless :-)
Wendy
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 14:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159.5/151.0/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Thanks for this thread... I'm having the same problem - haven't lost anything.. matter of fact I have GAINED (I am hoping that is due to me having my period - again - early two weeks). My daily carb count is ~ 30g - But I think the advice about eating MORE veggies is the way to go... more fiber = more flushed out, right? Less cheese and none of those so called "low carb" bars. Thanks for all of the info.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 07:11
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up Happy Happy JOY JOY

To Everyone who took the time to respond to me!

I got on the scale this morning!!!!!!!!!!

DOWN 5 POUNDS WOO HOO

and I feel FABULOUS..... I can not tell you how much energy I have .. its remarkable.. and it is TOM!!! usually I want to sleep and eat.. I cut my coffee intake way down...I dont get a chocolate rush anymore ... I have all this NATURAL energy...

Loving this WOE

thanks for all the support!!

forever thankful
Wendy
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 08:12

Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

first off, congrats Wendy!!! That is so wonderful! Yay you!!!

Second, a question: Does it not matter whether one eats 20 grams of carb a day or less? I have been trying to keep my carb at 10 to 15 a day (after subtracting fiber), mainly so I have a little "wiggle room" in case I measured something wrong. Do I not need to be so careful?
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 08:24
Registered Member

Stats: 159.5/151.0/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Wflow68 !!!

CONGRATS!! I bet you are so very happy!! Way to Go ! Keep up the good work !

KarenS
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 09:16
Registered Member

BF:

Sara O....
I read the Atkins book last year. I cant find it to re-read it.. THe Senior people on this board will be able to answer you. I can only tell you what works for me and that is following induction to a T ...

It takes some getting use to . I think thats why I didnt lose at first. My 8th day and I am down 5 lbs.. next week I wont freak if I gain back a 1 or 2 because I am told that happens sometimes..

I DRINK 1 GALLON OF WATER A DAY>> I am always at 20 carbs sometimes I think I go a little over (according to Fitday.com)

NO CHEATING AT ALL...... that is the only advise I have for you!!

It will come ... hang in there...look on the bright side YOU ARENT GAINING!!! and you are eating healthier..
Oh yeah I forgot.. I never subtracted fiber I didnt know we were supposed to do that.. I still dont know how to do it so when I stall I guess I will look into that ..
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 09:23

BF:

Hi Wendy, thanks for being so encouraging -- actually I haven't cheated at all and after 1 month (hey! today is exactly 1 month!) I'm completely happy with the rate I've been losing.

My question was just, someone said earlier in this thread that it didn't matter whether one consumes 5 carbs or 20 a day. And I have been careful to restrict my carbs to 10 to 15 a day (which actually isn't that hard for me), and was wondering if I am being overly cautious.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 09:31

BF:

oh also, it's easy to subtract fiber: just look at the label where it says "carbohydrate." Then look right below that where it says "fiber." Subtract fiber from total carb and that is the number you count towards your total daily carb.

Example: I found a can of nuts in the office kitchen. It says:

Serving Size 1 oz.
Total Carbohydrate 6g
Dietary Fiber 2g

So if I ate an ounce of these nuts, that would be 4 net carbs. Since I am still in induction, it's actually kind of hard to eat 20 grams of net carb. I have to really eat a lot to get that many carbs.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 09:34
Registered Member

BF:

I am sorry honey... I really cant answer that because I dont know.. I dont fret over my carb count that much.. I stay as close to 20 as I can.. my carbs are from veggies/dairy

someone also said somewhere here that when they stalled they added some carbs and started losing again because there body was comfortable and fell into a rut.. something like that.. maybe you should post your question for the experienced people to respond.. I would never want to mis-lead anyone!! thanks

Wendy
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 09:43
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

First off - Wendy you are doing great! Congrats!!!

Hey SarahO-

Are you really having a problem getting to 20 carbs in a day.

I don't know... maybe i'm crazy but I get to 20 everyday. Are you sure you are counting right?

This is getting redundent on this thread but...

1 oz cheese = 1 gram
2 TBSP salad dressing = 2 grams
1 egg counts as = 1 gram
1 oz cream = 1 gram
8 oz decaf or regular coffee = 1 gram
each splenda packet = 1 gram
Diet soda = 1 gram

Not even including the veggies you have to eat which Lisa N has already put counts on this thread.

I have a few of things daily and more than 1 oz of cheese too (usually between 3 and 4 oz).

Are you eating healthy???

Last edited by lkonzelman : Wed, Oct-23-02 at 09:48.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 10:01

BF:

Hi Lisa, I think I'm eating healthy...I have a green vegetable with every lunch and dinner and I'm not eating any prepackaged foods except Atkins muffins. I don't like eggs, don't drink coffee or sodas, and have given up dessert, so my carbs come mostly from dairy and vegetables.

Here's a typical day for me:
breakfast: Atkins muffin with butter
lunch: green salad with lettuce, cucumber, cheese, roasted meat (chicken or beef) and olive oil for dressing
dinner: meat with cheese or cream sauce and green vegetable, sometimes also a low carb tortilla

I have been using Fitday, here's my public page:
http://fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJour...l?Owner=ovenall

Does it look like I'm doing anything wrong? The only thing I have been wondering about is that I do eat a lot of dairy. But I love cheese so much, and I am losing weight, so I haven't seen the need to suffer by giving it up unless I stop losing.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 10:11
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Hello again SarahO -

I'm not trying to tell you how to eat or pretend like I know this diet that well - I was just concerned for you.

It seems to me you are doing fine by the menu you explained. Plus you are close to 20 carbs with your muffins, veggies, cheesy and tortillas so i'm not crazy.

My theory here is.... if you are eating healthy and well balanced, losing weight, and happy enough with your WOE that you will stick to it. You are doing great!!!!

So I guess i'm doing great too!
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 10:36
Registered Member

BF:

Sara thanks for explain the carb -fiber thing to me...lol I will give it a try..

Lisa .. how do you measure an oz of cheese..lol..is it possible to do it by eye... I hate measuring reminds me to much of a diet!!
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 11:06

BF:

Lisa, I didn't have a problem with your post or think you were trying to tell me what to do. I appreciate your concern and besides, the reason why I'm on this board is that I want advice. So thanks!

I have been doing Fitday pretty carefully and it seems to be working out to 10-15 net carbs a day, although when I had the tortillas it was higher. I guess it doesn't matter that much as long as the total is under 20 and I'm getting a healthy amount of vegetables.

Wendy, I don't measure cheese carefully, I just look at the total ounces on the package and sort of figure what percent of the total I'm eating at that time. Like if I bought a half pound block of cheese, that's 8 ounces so 1/4 of the block would be 2 ounces.

--Sarah