Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 07:37

Plan: Atkins (but lost most weight on a different plan)
Stats: 147/136/125
BF:
Progress: 50%
Unhappy Food plan question????

Hi guys,
I'm new to this and would love your help. I have been on the LA weightloss plan, which high protien, low carb and low fat diet. I lost most of the wieght. I have 8 more pounds to lose and decided to try Atkins in the hope that I wont be as hungry and have as many cravings as I have beeen gett.

I tried the induction, but obviously screwed up, I ate TONS of portien and butter with a spoon.... Consequently, I gained 7LB's in 3 days. I would like to post what I'm going to eat and would love comments on the plan.

B: 3/4 cup egg white, 1 table macademian nut butter and 1 tabl. Almond nut butter (I allowed myself that since I dont have lot to lose... is that OK???) +2 cups coffee +1.5 liter water
Sn. 4 oz Parmasan cheese
L. 8oz chicken, 2 cups salad (can I have more than 8 oz chicken
D. 8 oz chicken, 1 cup salad

Atkins says dont gorge on protien and would turn to glucose in your body if you over ate.... so my question is, what's the maximum?

Many thanks.
Lots of love.
Lama
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 17:23
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Lama,

Since you're within 8 lbs of your goal, it's tough to say exactly how much (or little) you'll need. You'll have to be patient. Basically, the rule of thumb on Atkins is to eat until you're satisfied, but not stuffed. Don't worry about the butter thing, I eat it like that, too! A lot of us do. It's not a problem.

I don't know exactly how much you ate when you gained on induction, but it wouldn't surprise me if you overdid it a tad, because that's what happens to anyone who's been "white-knuckling" it through a diet and they're hungry all the time. It catches up to you. You didn't screw up - it's a normal reaction. Give yourself some time to adjust.

I'd stick with induction and don't panic if it takes a long time for the weight loss, or even if it doesn't happen at all. You're already at a technically healthy weight, and it's v-e-r-y difficult to diet down much below that.

About your menu: eat the whole egg. It's the yolk that has the nutrition as well as the fat to keep you full. I would also have more variety than just chicken and salad. There are many more veggies and protein souces that you can (and should) have.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Kristine : Wed, Oct-23-02 at 17:30.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 07:39

Plan: Atkins (but lost most weight on a different plan)
Stats: 147/136/125
BF:
Progress: 50%

Kristine,
What a lovely and supportive message you wrote. I very much appreciate your response.
Food is a complicated issue for me... no thin is thin enough and no amount is big enough.... After years of struggle I've come to realize that I just cant change this problem.. At this point in my life, I'm working on just letting go of it....
Consequently, I feel I need to stick to my earlier food plan, which is high protien, but much more rigid on amounts etc... I must admit that deep down I long for an atkins alternative...
take care and have a lovely weekend.
lots of love.
Lama