Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 16:36

Plan: Sugar Busters, but it's not low-carb
Stats: 194/131/129
BF:
Progress: 97%
Question Some questions for the experts out there

Hope you don't mind answering a few questions. My Mother has the book and was asking me to clarify some things for her but I don't have good grasp of Atkins (I've been on Sugar Busters for 2 1/2 years) and thought I'd come ask some experts

Can you have the following on induction:

Canned tomato sauce?

Cottage cheese?

1/3 less fat mayo as well as 1/3 less fat cream cheese?

low fat cheese made with part skim milk (thought if mozzarella is okay, why would this not if it's real cheese)

Is Stevia (sweetener) okay to use?

Salad-she had a bag of mixed baby greens and it has a serving size of 3 ounces being the same as 2 cups-it's not two cups unless you pack it in there. The nutritional info puts it at 4 grams of carbs for this amount. On the info I found it says 2 cups lightly packed. That would be only 1 ounce, or about that. Would it make that much difference if one went over?

Do you HAVE to consume 20 carbs or anything below it is okay?

After induction and when you start uping your carbs can you begin adding in fruits as long as you don't go over your grams?

And last, do you deduct your fiber grams from carb grams? For instance, I eat raspberries and a 6 ounce serving may have say 20 grams of carbs but 12 grams of fiber, would you only count 8 carb grams if this were the case? I think she'll miss fruit most of all.

Thanks so much for your help. I'm hoping to get a copy of the book from the library and searching the web hasn't helped all that much as I get some conflicting info.

Debbie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 16:58

BF:
Default Oops, 1 more if you don't mind

She said she went to the grocery store and couldn't find any bacon or deli meats that don't have nitrate in them, and for the deli meats, the list sugar or a form of it on the label but no grams are given. Can you give me an idea if there's a certain brand she should look for. Are nitrates that bad to consume on the Atkins Diet (I know they shouldn't be consumed anyhow, but if there's no other alternative?)

THANKS AGAIN
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 17:24
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Debelli,

First of all, congratulations on your success with Sugar Busters!

Many of those questions are answered in the book or on the Atkins website here.
If it is not on the list, it's not allowed.

Again, if she (or you?) reads the latest edion of the book, she'll see that the fibre grams are subtracted.

Lettuce has so few carbs it's not worth stressing over whether or not the cups are lightly or tightly packed.

I keep track of carbs by using www.fitday.com Perhaps that will help her.

Many of us have bacon and ham with nitrates - I prefer to not have them too often.

All the best to both of you!

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 19:02

BF:

Thanks for your reply as well as the links, I'll be checking them out soon.

Atkins is one of a very few diets I have tried in my life. I've been on SB since 3/22/00 and met my goal weight of 129 in June 2001. I actually got down to 118, but that was too low for me and ultimately would like to stay around 122. I've gone up a few but hope to get it back down SOON. I think my DM thinks I'm a diet know-it-all, but the little I do know about Atkins, I can't answer her questions. I've tried doing searches on the web and it's so much to go through, hence, the reason I decided to post my question here

Thanks again for your reply. I do appreciate it!!

Debbie
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 07:32

BF:

I saw the site and as it does provide an answer for the cottage cheese and I see where lettuce isn't so important to worry about for her, and that she can buy bacon with yucky mitrates and be okay, and the fiber grams being deducted, but I still don't see answers to the other perplexing questions I had. Does anyone know the answers or a website you can lead me to that may? Am I just blind?

THANKS for any help! I'm getting a copy of the book today. I went to the library yesterday and there's so many editions, I hope the 2000 one in another library is the latest one. Maybe DM has an older version, why there may be some descrepanices?

Debbie
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 09:59
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

why there may be some descrepanices?
Quote:
Canned tomato sauce? Cottage cheese? 1/3 less fat mayo as well as 1/3 less fat cream cheese?

low fat cheese made with part skim milk (thought if mozzarella is okay, why would this not if it's real cheese)

Is Stevia (sweetener) okay to use?

For canned tomato sauce, check the label. Sugar as well as various starches could be part of the ingredients. Some are higher in carbs than others.

Low-fat products usually have carbs in them to make the difference in flavour and texture. Atkins is a full-fat way of eating. That said, many people tweak what they eat as they go along, but that's once they really understand the needs of their body. Fat is not taboo on Atkins, it's welcomed.

Stevia is fine as a sweetener.

Quote:
why there may be some descrepanices?

Atkins has fine tuned his plan over the years so what it is now, is different from the original. A few of the key points are fiber being deducted from carb grams and a few guidelines on what amounts of certain foods are allowable during induction.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 13:05

BF:

Thanks for the reply to my post Tomato sauce would be one that would be with no added sugars. Hopefully, I can find out just how much one would be able to have during induction, it will help her liven up her foods.

THANKS AGAIN!