Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 12:16

Plan: low salt
Stats: 207/236/160 Female 5'10"
BF:44.1%/33.86%/?
Progress: -62%
Thumbs down I'm fat.

That's it. I am fat.

Should I give up and eat anything I want? Should I accept that I will be this size forever? Should I accept that I am now a size 18, the largest I have ever been, after being on this WOE since February? Should I donate my entire closet of clothes sizes 16 and under to charity? Should I save my money for liposuction in order to be happy again?

Having the worst day yet,
Julie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 13:02
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

We all feel like this at times. If you go off LC you'll just get bigger. Look how much time you've put into it. The weight will come off. You're healthier. When I first started lcarbing my body was so messed up from yo-yo dieting that I was happy just staying the same and building muscle. Once my body said, OK, I can trust her. She's not starving me, she's not going to change this, the weight started coming off. S-l-o-w-l-y. I will always be a slow loser, a turtle, someone with metabolic resistance. But you know what? That's OK. I'm never going to be 350 again. And each year, even with SAD, I'm going to be lighter than the year before.

Cheer up. Find yourself a slice of sun, put your face up to it and believe and have faith. In yourself, in the WOL you have chosen. Whatever you do, stay LC. We are all here for you as you have been here for others!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 13:22
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%
Unhappy Sorry for your blues Julie~

Julie, I am sorry that you are having a blue day~ Maybe you need a break off atkins, and try another of the LC ways of eating, perhaps going back to Induction would kick in some losses... there are many who are on the no cheat until halloween thread in the countdown club who are doing just that. I haven't left induction yet... and it's been since Sept. 20th.
I understand your frustration, I don't even know what size I am... as far as women's sizes, I know it is definitely over a size 18 for sure... I am not too far from being almost as big around in some spots as I am tall! But I know that I am shrinking... loss of 25" since Sept. 20th. The thing is, we all have our battles, and yeah, I know it is going to take awhile to get down to the weight that I would like to be at... but I can't give up... I know if I went back to the way I was eating before, that I would end up even bigger than I am now, and I don't want that.
Know that the ppl on this forum are behind ya, and support you in your blues, and we would like to see you find success in losing weight. All of us know, it is not easy... and all of us know, that this way of eating is better for us.,... (I am speaking generally of course, say all)... I think anyone here would be willing to try and help you find something that works... and I hope things improve for you~
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 17:11
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile Hi

I'm fat, I hear it from everyone in my family and at work. But you know what? I'm fat but I'm not as fat as I was yesterday.
When the scale doesn't go down seek out the benifits other than weight loss. The health benifits. That helps me during my blues.
Thinking of you.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 17:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/181/145
BF:
Progress: 39%

Keep a journal of food and look at it and let others here look at it to see if maybe there is something you're doing that you are not realizing. A person I know was dieting a year and did not lose because of one item of food they thought was not bad but was, after she quit eating it the pounds poured off. Also are you exercising? You might need to do more, new guidelines say to lose weight do an hour a day - it sounds like a lot but losing the weight is worth it. Also add weights if you aren't already using them that can accelerate your weigth loss. Have you had your thyroid checked?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 17:58

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Julie, try reading TSPII (The Schwarzbein Principle II). It's just been published and those of us on the TSP list are reading it like mad. The reason I think you need to read it is that she specifically addresses those people who start low-carbing and gain weight.

There's more to this than meets the eye.

;-Deb
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 09:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/180/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default I know how you feel.

I've been feeling like that a little myself lately. I think it's the time of year. I always feel depressed as the days get shorter, seasonal disorder or something is what it's called. And this is a tough time of year because when I start feeling depressed, I start thinking chocolate and of course, we're sliding toward Halloween, a chocolate time of year and then into holiday baking .... and so on. But I'm hanging tough. I know it's easier said then done, and some of the other posters have given you good advice. All I can say is hang in there.

Virginia
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 07:59

Thumbs down When is enough, enough?

I studied myself in the mirror this weekend. I can't believe how fat I have gotten. It was truely disgusting.

Even though I love this board, should I throw in the towel and just stick to 600 calories and see what happens? I am sure the answer from people here will be "No," but I really am at my end. I can't take being this fat any more.

Has anyone else given up on Atkins due to weight gain and found a plan that actually worked? I know the Atkins WOL very well. I did it years ago and it worked, but I was much younger.

Fat in Florida,
Julie

P.S. Thank you for the previous posts.
P.S.S. My thyroid is normal.

Last edited by GatorGal93 : Mon, Oct-21-02 at 08:06.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 08:14
Registered Member

Plan: Shark Cycle Plan
Stats: 410/323/250
BF:
Progress: 54%

I don't know anything about your diet history, but there are some people who fare better on a low fat low cal diet. You might just try it. Also, exercise really gets the losses going.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 08:19

Thumbs up Mr. Shark

Thank you, Shark.

J
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 12:09
Registered Member

Angry I ain't giving up

I don't know what to tell you... to me...a size 18 is small... In some places on my body I am damn near as big around as I am tall!!And before I started this a month ago, there were spots I was as big around as I am tall... Do you think I "LIKE" looking at what my body looks like in the mirror?But you know what? I still do... because the only way I am going to see a difference is to know what I look like now... what I looked like 20 lbs. ago... I just dug out a picture right before coming here, that was taken May 10th...standing next to my younger sister,who was so upset that she weighed 175 lb... I am twice as wide...it is a most unflattering pic of me... yet I can look at the picture and see how far I am from that...yes I DO have a lot more weight to lose... but I won't let how I look stop me. Have you tried Atkins fat fast?Maybe you are metabolically resistant and need something to kick it into gear. Perhaps you should try Stillman's..it is still LC, but no carbs, no fat... as totally protein as you can get and LOTS of water...STILLMAN QWL DIET (click here) I done it before... I didn't mind it, some might tho.There's many other LC plans here... how are you feeling otherwise? Notice any improvements in your health? You gotta do what's right for you... but you ought to know from previous diets, that you can't live on 600 calories per day forever, and when you stop... you will gain it back... many of us have been there... it's not a journey I want to go again... hope my post don't offend you... its not meant to...and we can't stop you should you quit the LC W/O/E... but we can offer support through this forum... the rest is up to you.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 13:14
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Gator Gal

If you have no health problems or carb addictions why don't you give the fat flush diet a try for two weeks. It is super low fat, low calorie and moderately low in carbs. It is supposed to flush out your fat stores, cleanse your liver and gall bladder and activate your brown fat cells all for optimum fat burning.

Maybe your body needs to be cleansed and detoxified to encourage fat burning.

If you have a craving reaction to the diluted unsweetened cranberry juice and 2 fruits/day allowed on the plan switch to 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar with the mother mixed in 8 ounces of water to replace the cranwater and skip the fruit snacks. If you need snacks replace them with 2 ounces of low fat protein.

If it works for you, perhaps after coming off the fat flush diet your body will be ready for Atkins or another lc plan. Perhaps you'd want to continue with fat flush for a while longer.

People's bodies and body chemistries are very individual. You need to find something that works for you.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 14:30

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Julie...

You could also check out Dr. Schwarzbein's newest book TSP 2. I haven't read it yet, but I hear that she addresses your specific situation in her book (low carbing and not losing or gaining weight) and what to do about it. I think you know in your heart that a very low carlorie diet is not the answer here. Have you also ruled out a yeast problem or food allergy/intolerance? Whatever you do, hang in there and keep plugging away.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 07:42

Thumbs down Getting fatter

I broke my plateau. That's right. I broke my plateau of my highest weight ever of 229. I am now 232 .

Today is day 2 of the Stillman diet for me. (Please, no lectures on the goods and bads of this diet. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. At this point I am willing to try anything. I went from wanting to lose 40 pounds to now having to lose 72!!!) I have little energy, but lots of determination.

I appreciated your comments. Thank you very much.

Incredibly frustrated with this 25 pound gain,
Julie

Last edited by GatorGal93 : Wed, Oct-23-02 at 07:47.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 10:52
Registered Member

Arrow Stick with it Julie~

Hey Julie, I can understand where it is frustrating for you... that is one reason I stay off of the scale, because there are so many reasons why it can fluctuate, not only during the day, but from one day to the next... Trust me, I *war* with scales... our son Brendan, has CP, and is underweight, and his weight can change drastically from one day to another, even within a day's time...try staying off the scale for awhile... keep your measurements instead,just a suggestion