Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-02, 13:15

Plan: CKD/modified atkins & protein power
Stats: 117/112/108
BF:15%
Progress: 56%
Question question for TrainerDan on 'maintenance'

So what if we have reached a point where we are actually FINALLY happy ((gasp)) with our body fat/weight???

Everything here seems to be about cutting or working towards achieving a particular goal - what ratio's do you recommend for maintenance while continuing to eat low carb (which I have done for over a year now) and working out?

Any insight from anyone actually would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

SL
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 05:24
Registered Member

Plan: TKD/BFL
Stats: 133/117/115
BF:30/17/14
Progress: 89%

You might want to email Dan and link the post to let him know you've asked a question you'd like him to answer.
Put CKD/Body Opus in the subject line.

trainerdan~quadrafit.com

Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 10:46

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default maintenance

LOL ... LMari found out the best way to find me ... LOL ... Yes, it's true. When I am at work, I can usually check e-mail really quick, but the board takes time to load so I usually save that for when I get home ... unless there is a pressing issue. Then I jump in when I am between clients, etc.

For maintainance, I personally follow The Zone ... but each person is different.

The best bet for you is to gradually add carbs to your diet each week, aiming for the 30/40/30 ratios ... and keep an eye on your scale weight, fat %, and energy levels. Using these will allow you to see at what carb % you begin to re-gain. Use that as your set point.

As for what supplements/strategies to use while going thru that process, here are my thoughts:

DISCLAIMER: This is info from my new book that will be coming out shortly. It is an area of ketogenic dieting that many people have been e-mailing me about, so I did some research and found a few things. It will be a little more involved in the book, but this will give you the main idea of it.

The first step is to plan a flexible 6-week transition period in which you’ll taper off the ketogenic diet.

During this time you’ll be supplementing with insulin sensitizing supplements.

I say 600 mg of alpha-lipoic acid per day, and lots of fish oils (at least 6g of DHA and EPA). You could add glucosol (colosolic acid) at about 50 mg per day, and inzitol (d-pinitol) at about 50 mg per day.

Here's a link to a Glucosol based product (also has some ALA in it): Glycemet

Here's a link to a Glucosol/Inzitol based product: Insulene

Those links support this board. Here is a link for Glucosol seperately, but sales of it will not support this board:

Glucosol

Remember to take the ALA, glucosol, and inzitol during separate carbohydrate meals. Don’t take them with a carbohydrate free meal or all together. Spread them out thru the day.

In addition, do your cardio. About 30 min 4x per week, separate from weight training, does wonders for increasing insulin sensitivity and carbohydrate tolerance.

During weeks 1 and 2 , gradually reintroduce carbohydrates into the diet. Try replacing 10% of your fat with high fiber, low glycemic and insulin index carbohydrates (if your diet is 60% fat, 40% protein change it to 50% fat, 40% protein, 10% carbohydrate).

Some good carbohydrate sources are oatmeal, vegetables, nuts, beans, and fruits. This is easier said than done, though, because most often, when reintroducing carbohydrates into the diet, carbohydrate cravings go through the roof! So be prepared and be strong.

For weeks 3 and 4 , decrease your fat intake and increase your carbohydrate intake to about 20% of the diet, again using high fiber, low GI and II carbohydrates (now you will be at 40%fat, 40% protein, 20% carbohydrate). Follow this for 2 weeks while remaining on the recommended supplements.

For weeks 5 and 6, decrease your fat intake and increase your carbohydrate intake to about 30% of the diet, again using high fiber, low GI and II carbohydrates (now you will be at 30% fat, 40% protein, 30% carbohydrate). Once you get to this point, you should be home free.

So will this approach prevent all fat gain?

No, but it will definitely minimize it. Just keep in mind that you’ll probably gain some water and that this is a good thing. But this water does scare most people as they mistake it for fat gain. Just hang in there and the body will normalize over the 6-week period and you’ll end up just fine.

Remember, this program requires a lot of effort and discipline, but it’s very effective.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 11:30

Plan: CKD/modified atkins & protein power
Stats: 117/112/108
BF:15%
Progress: 56%

"WOW!" and a huge "thank you"

I hope the entire board reads this & you sell a bizillion books
Please make sure you let us know how to purchase it as soon as it is available since I'm sure many here would like the benefit of your knowledge and advice.

Best Regards,

SL
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 11:57

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default working on it ...

Thanks!

It's hard to find time to do everything that I need to do these days. LOL. The book is a work-in-progress, and you can be sure that this forum will be thr first to know when I am ready to go to print with it.

The "meal plans" section is taking a long time, but when it is all said and done, it will be a great side-by-side addition to the other CKD books. I consider mine more of a CKD handbook or workbook.

Good luck with your plan!