Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-02, 08:07
Registered Member

Plan: BFL/PP
Stats: 115/114/107
BF:32/32/25
Progress: 13%
Default Atkins away from Home

Hi everyone,
I'm on my fifth day of induction and doing fine so far. Sunday I have to leave until Wednesday night to go take some classes. I will be staying in a hotel and have no idea about restaurants or any thing like that. I will be in class 8 to 5 and don't know about breaks etc. So I will really be winging it. I plan to stay on track as well as I possibly can. I will probably at least have a refrigerator in my room so will take some stuff ~ but who knows when I will even be able to eat. Any suggestion about how not to fall off the wagon?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-02, 08:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 238/175/120
BF:
Progress: 53%

Hey there--don't forget that you can eat in restaurants during the induction phase--just be careful. Have a nice Chicken Ceasar salad without the dressing or croutons, or have a cheeseburger without the bun or the cheese. The options in a restaurant are usually pretty good.

Also, pack little snack and "companion items" to your food in Ziploc bags, that way when you feel a little hungry you don't feel tempted to cheat and blow it all.

You can do it--good luck!

Ana
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-02, 08:37
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%

When I stay in hotels I live on tossed salads with mayo for dressing and broiled chicken or steak. Breakfast is always an omlet...or bacon and eggs. If I'm real hungry for breakfast I ask for a HUGE omlet with a side of sausage or bacon.
Always ask what the veggie is..no sense having a heapful of corn or carrots on your plate...ask, ask, ask.

I find that if I eat enough for my meals I usually don't snack much. If you DO like to snack...pick your favs and throw them in a cooler (ice in the hotel is always free).
I watch for sauces. I order everything broiled, no sauce. I ask them to hold the bread or buns (less tempting).

Good luck...and have a great time.

cin
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-02, 20:28
Registered Member

Thanks for the good suggestions. Since I have been on atkins I don't snack as much as I'm used to because I don't get hungry.But I figure If I have some snacks with me at least I will have something to eat that I know exactly what it is. You know I got so used to eating in restaurants an ordering as low fat as possible. I just have to remember that I have other things to think about now. All I know is that I don't want to blow it because I have been doing so well. Thanks again,
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-19-02, 09:30

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Hi - I travel quite a bit for my job and I was also concerned at first, but I've been on two trips recently , 3 days away from home each time and had no trouble to continue to lose. In fact, this last trip I lost a bit more than I usually do per day. I make sure I have emergency food on hand - i.e. Atkin's Protein Shake powder in a baggy and Atkin's muffins ( Orange Cranberry are pretty good). It's very easy to mix up a shake in your hotel room or even at the airport - you just need a shaker bottle and some water. I wrap up each muffin in plastic and store in a plastic container. Restaurants are really no problelm - I find I can easily substiture the startch for more veggies. I guess the hardest part is being exposed to some temptation, but on this WOE I really don't crave the carbs anyway. At the airport last night I didn't really have time for a sit down dinner so I bought a bag of beef jerky and munched on that before and during the flight. So have fun and live your life!

Manuela
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 14:43
Registered Member

Thanks all for the great tips. I'm back from my trip and I did just fine. It was actually very easy. There was a COSTCO next to my hotel so I bought a roasted chicken, and some shrimp and a shrimp salad. I had also brought some food. Cheese, avacados, pork rinds, hardboiled eggs, jerky and a some breakfast pie. And also plenty of water! I all worked out well and I was never hungry. I didn't eat in any restaurants. I had a lot of studying to do so I just relaxed in my room, studied and ate my low carb goodies. And to think I was so worried about it that I almost was not going to start the plan until I got back! Have a great day everyone