Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Atkins away from Home (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=66493)

suzimsm Fri, Oct-18-02 08:07

Atkins away from Home

Hi everyone,
I'm on my fifth day of induction and doing fine so far. Sunday I have to leave until Wednesday night to go take some classes. I will be staying in a hotel and have no idea about restaurants or any thing like that. I will be in class 8 to 5 and don't know about breaks etc. So I will really be winging it. I plan to stay on track as well as I possibly can. I will probably at least have a refrigerator in my room so will take some stuff ~ but who knows when I will even be able to eat. Any suggestion about how not to fall off the wagon?:confused:

AnaPR Fri, Oct-18-02 08:37

Hey there--don't forget that you can eat in restaurants during the induction phase--just be careful. Have a nice Chicken Ceasar salad without the dressing or croutons, or have a cheeseburger without the bun or the cheese. The options in a restaurant are usually pretty good.

Also, pack little snack and "companion items" to your food in Ziploc bags, that way when you feel a little hungry you don't feel tempted to cheat and blow it all.

You can do it--good luck!

Ana

Cinderella Fri, Oct-18-02 08:37

When I stay in hotels I live on tossed salads with mayo for dressing and broiled chicken or steak. Breakfast is always an omlet...or bacon and eggs. If I'm real hungry for breakfast I ask for a HUGE omlet with a side of sausage or bacon.
Always ask what the veggie is..no sense having a heapful of corn or carrots on your plate...ask, ask, ask.

I find that if I eat enough for my meals I usually don't snack much. If you DO like to snack...pick your favs and throw them in a cooler (ice in the hotel is always free).
I watch for sauces. I order everything broiled, no sauce. I ask them to hold the bread or buns (less tempting).

Good luck...and have a great time.

cin

suzimsm Fri, Oct-18-02 20:28

Thanks for the good suggestions. Since I have been on atkins I don't snack as much as I'm used to because I don't get hungry.But I figure If I have some snacks with me at least I will have something to eat that I know exactly what it is. You know I got so used to eating in restaurants an ordering as low fat as possible. I just have to remember that I have other things to think about now. All I know is that I don't want to blow it because I have been doing so well. Thanks again,

manucpa Sat, Oct-19-02 09:30

Hi - I travel quite a bit for my job and I was also concerned at first, but I've been on two trips recently , 3 days away from home each time and had no trouble to continue to lose. In fact, this last trip I lost a bit more than I usually do per day. I make sure I have emergency food on hand - i.e. Atkin's Protein Shake powder in a baggy and Atkin's muffins ( Orange Cranberry are pretty good). It's very easy to mix up a shake in your hotel room or even at the airport - you just need a shaker bottle and some water. I wrap up each muffin in plastic and store in a plastic container. Restaurants are really no problelm - I find I can easily substiture the startch for more veggies. I guess the hardest part is being exposed to some temptation, but on this WOE I really don't crave the carbs anyway. At the airport last night I didn't really have time for a sit down dinner so I bought a bag of beef jerky and munched on that before and during the flight. So have fun and live your life!

Manuela

suzimsm Thu, Oct-24-02 14:43

Thanks all for the great tips. I'm back from my trip and I did just fine. It was actually very easy. There was a COSTCO next to my hotel so I bought a roasted chicken, and some shrimp and a shrimp salad. I had also brought some food. Cheese, avacados, pork rinds, hardboiled eggs, jerky and a some breakfast pie. And also plenty of water! I all worked out well and I was never hungry. I didn't eat in any restaurants. I had a lot of studying to do so I just relaxed in my room, studied and ate my low carb goodies. And to think I was so worried about it that I almost was not going to start the plan until I got back! Have a great day everyone :wave: