Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 04:43
Registered Member

Plan: TKD/BFL
Stats: 133/117/115
BF:30/17/14
Progress: 89%
Question Newbie Question and Imput Welcomed

I started CKD last week with eating my 20 carbs daily and then a 1 day CU on Friday. I gained 2lbs and have lost 1 1/2 of those lbs this week. 1/2 lb. for the past 3 days. I have not waivered from the CKD Parameters sheet or cheated. My goal is to reduce my BF from 18% to16%. My question is assuming that I lose another 1/2 lb by tomorrow my CU day should I not worry about there being no weightloss? Should I expect this when it is my first week? Could I have done something wrong?

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 07:47

Plan: bodyopus
Stats: 212/196/185
BF:15%
Progress: 59%
Thumbs up You will need a bit more then that

Congratulation you have chosen one of the best diets, but you need a bit more time to adapt and learn how your body responds to certain foods.

No one is the same has you know and some might lose more then others, i have lost around 8 pounds the first week, wish for me is mostly water and glycogen, now in my 3 week i am down 16 pounds wish some of this has to be fat and some well i guess muscles.

The thruth is you have to play around a bit with the diet to see what works for you and what doesnt, some like my girlfriend can actually stay in ketosis while drinking diet sodas add sweetners to there coffee,,,, me i cant, even mouthwash kicks me out.

You gotto experiement with your calories and of course training.

One week is not enough to say, even on high carb low calories low fat diet the first week many have lost an average of about 10 pounds, of course this is water weight because they eat less so glycogen releases exess water.

I would say that you will see the true value of this diet in about one month, after checking what works and doesnt for you.

Keep at it and good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 08:17
Registered Member

Just to give more information. I have been in ketosis since April ~ 30-40 carbs a day so my body is used to a LC diet. I stick with basic foods and don't have a problem with going out of ketosis. After my CU on Friday is was back in Ketosis on Monday.

Lisa
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 08:29

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default fat loss?

The scale may not register a loss, but did you lose bodyfat?

And what does your exercise plan look like?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 09:11
Registered Member

I'm having my BF done at the gym tomorrow. Using the CKD Parameters it says 18% which is where my Tanita scale says (21-3% that I need to deduct) I haven't been able to get my BF done since the middle of Sept. when it was 21%. I am more concentrated on BF but I did want to lose just a couple more lbs.

Last week & this week with CKD CU on last Friday. Since starting CKD I cut out my Sat. spinning and added Sunday cardio. Weights are BFL style. I'm finishing up C1 tomorrow.

Monday-Weights/30 min. elliptical
Tues-Spinning
Wed-Weights/30 min. cardio elliptical
Thurs- 40 min elliptical
Fri-Weights/30 min. elliptical
Sat-nothing
Sunday-30 min cardio (fast walk/run)

-Lisa
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 09:52
Registered Member

Got my BF done (hopefully it's correct) I was expecting it to be around 18%. They use a machine that they hold a 5" stick to your bicep and wrap a rubber pad around it. Then it gives you a printout.

Started Atkins 4/02 133lbs. My normal body weight before I gained my weight was always around 114-117.
I'm starting my 3rd week of CKD.

Started BFL 7/22 121lbs.
Finished BFL 10/11 118lbs

I didn't get my BF done until 9/10 21.2% Lean weight 95.3lbs.
BF done 10/11, it was 13.3%(typo before)Lean weight 102.3lbs

My readout also says Body Mass Index 18.9 what ever that is.
Total Body water 65% or 34.81 liters

Dan - Could I have really droped that much BF in a month?

Lisa
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 19:29

Default ??

It sounds like they used the Futrex 5000 device on you the second time ... It's an infared device and it's accuracy depends upon the skill of the person operating it.

The best way to get accurate reading for bodyfat % is to use the same method before and after, and to try and use the same tester as well (trainer, etc.)

Having said that, all metods have a 2% margin of error (+/-), so if you were 21% and dropped to 13.3% it COULD be (in reality) a drop from 19% to 15%, which is still a sizable drop. 4% in a month is pushing it ... 7%? I am sure it is possible, but I haven;t seen it. That's a huge drop.

13% is pretty lean and mean for a woman, so you can tell if it is accurate by judging from the visibility of your abs. At 13%, you should be seeing the outlines of your obliques, as well as the top 2 or 4 abs clearly when you flex them.

If this post comes across wrong, I don't mean it to. I am very very tired, and I am just presenting the facts as I know them.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 04:33
Registered Member

Thanks Dan,
I did get it done witht the same machine and the same guy did it at the gym. He also did it twice because I questioned him about the number.

I do see my top 4 abs. I was wondering where the bottom two where. So, I've got to go lower in BF to see the bottom two? I was wondering if I wasn't working out the bottom ab area enough since I didn't see any definition there.

I'm going to have my BF done again in a week or two to verify the numbers.

Thanks for your input.

Lisa
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 09:14

Default lower abs

The lower abs show up around 8%, which is pretty low for women.

You can build them up a little by using weighted lower ab exercises, but be sure to use precise form and not bring your hip flexors into play during your lower abs work ... if you use your hips, you risk building your hips as well ... which most women don't want.

Good job on your fat loss!!!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 20:27

Plan: BFL
Stats: 190/?/135
BF:21%
Progress: 60%
Default Re: lower abs

Quote:
Originally posted by Trainerdan
but be sure to use precise form and not bring your hip flexors into play during your lower abs work ... if you use your hips, you risk building your hips as well ... which most women don't want.

TrainerDan.....you're scaring me.

Also, is this the kind of test where you have to have it done first thing in the morning before you eat??

(((( LMari ))))

OMG, lady! You're so beautiful...AND you're thin! Can I hate you now?? LOL Just kidding.

Nice to put a face with the name!

(((hmmnn... wondering if you're too pretty to be friends with)))

...just kidding!

PS.... I'm skeered to have my BF done!!!!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 10:03
Registered Member

Jalilah- I RARELY look like that. Actually I usually have my gym hair and no makeup!! Kinda nasty I'd say. LOL The biggest pain about working out it blowdrying my hair to just go to the gym the next day. I'm usually too lazy to do it!!

Girl get yur BF done!! With all your hard work I'm sure you'll have a good reading!!

P.S.- You're beautiful too!!
Going to the store today to get sweet potatoes and *other stuff* .

Lisa[IMG][/IMG]
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 10:49

Plan: BFL
Stats: 190/?/135
BF:21%
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally posted by LMari
Jalilah- I RARELY look like that. Actually I usually have my gym hair and no makeup!! Kinda nasty I'd say. LOL The biggest pain about working out it blowdrying my hair to just go to the gym the next day. I'm usually too lazy to do it!!

Aw, quit it. LOL... I can tell by your features that without makeup you'd still look awesome (still deciding whether or not to hate you for it LOL...just kidding.

Girl get yur BF done!! With all your hard work I'm sure you'll have a good reading!!

If I can FIND someone locally to do it I will. The gyms around here don't even have the regular calipers, much less any high-tech machines to do it.

P.S.- You're beautiful too!!
Aw shucks. T'anks.

Going to the store today to get sweet potatoes and *other stuff* .

I'm gonna miss carb loading this weekend, but eating 100g or a little more is enough for now. I feel so much better, too. BUT... it'll be back on the ole LC/CKD wagon on Monday! I guess I'll have enough energy M & T to make it through my workouts..and the rest of the week! LOL

PS...I've been eating sweet potatoes a bit this week. Soooooo nice, too.

Catch ya later, gator

Lisa[IMG][/IMG] [/B][/QUOTE]