Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 21:19
Registered Member

Plan: BFL/PP
Stats: 115/114/107
BF:32/32/25
Progress: 13%
Default Keto Stix Question

Does it matter if the color on the keto stix is the light pink or dark pink? Is dark pink better?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 23:40
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hiya Suzi,

Nope, it doesn't matter. You're either in ketosis or you're not.
In fact, the lighter the colour the better, 'cos it means you are drinking enough water.

Cheers!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 00:35
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%
Arrow ketostix and colors

Suzi, I have never gone anything much beyond a light trace of pink, never really dark on the results, and I am having no problems with my losing.... altho I weighed only once, a week after I started Induction, and I have lost 25" as of last week since starting, choosing to rather go by my measurements than weight at this time. Just keep drinking that H20, it's good for you!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 07:47
Registered Member

Thank you Rosebud and Suze~that is good to know because I'm light pink! I thought maybe it was better to be dark pink. I do make sure I drink plenty of water.
Suze good job on losing 25 inches! That is great. I think it is probably better to measure because the scale fluctuates so much, but I'm so clumsy with the measuring tape! I weigh my self every morning. Its a habit. I always know exactly what the scale is going to say too. I can tell if I'm a pound or two heavier or lighter. But still I have to get on the darn thing~
Thanks again. Now I won't be waiting for that darn stick to turn dark
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 10:51
Registered Member

Smile maybe you're at a good weight now

Just a thought here, if you see that you are no longer losing, then perhaps it is because your body is already at a good weight for itself. If you still want to get smaller, perhaps some toning is what you need to look into. Weights are good for that, not only do they tone, they shrink the body, while increasing muscles, which in turn help to burn fat more efficiently!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 12:24
Registered Member

Stats: 154/135/133
BF:help?
Progress: 90%
Default Another quetion on Keto strips

I didnt get keto sticks when I first started Atkins through induction. Now that Im in OWL and my carbs are holding about 30-35 grams a day, am I techinically out of ketosis? I was thinking about getting the strips because I havent lost since Ive been out of induction. I keep tweaking my diet (more water, veggies, exercise. No nuts!), but nothing yet. Thought the strips might help me gage the level ketosis, but not sure if it only works in inducation when your carbs are below 20. Ive reread sections of the book on this and its not clear to me.

Also, where can you purchase them? do drugstores carry them or would I have to go to Atkins? (Ive never even seen the little things!)
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 14:42
Registered Member

I do remember reading something about the fact that once you get to a certain point on this plan you you will no longer be in ketosis ~ I don't remember the details. I'll see if I can find it tonight.
The strips I bought are called THINZ Metabo STIX (fat metabolism test strips) They were quiet pricy $15.00 for 25 sticks. I found them at Albertsons Grocerie store over by the vitamins and nutrition bars etc. I tried to resist buying them. I don't really think they should be necessary but I guess I was just curious. I definately do not want to be obsessed with checking them all the time. I don't plan on buying any more so I will pace myself with them. I do think they might be more helpful later on when I am trying to determine my carb limit maybe like you have mentioned Libette.

SuzeC~I agree with you about the weights. I have been working out doing cardio and strength trainng 5 days a week for the last 2 1/2 years. The last few months I have gained about 10 pounds and I don't want to continue to gain. I figure since I do exercise regularly and really don't over eat that something is really wrong. I'm beginning to understand now that I was eating the wrong foods. Actually I don't care how much I weigh if my clothes fit ok. But they have been getting way to tight. My weight may sound low but I'm only 4'11" and with a small frame.

By the way I felt pretty yukky and sleepy yesterday and today I feel great~I love it

Talk to ya all later, have a nice afternoon.

#8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 15:07
Registered Member

Unhappy Wow Pricey ketostix!

That is alot more than what I paid, and I got mine at wally-world, for about $15 for 50 strips, but I asked for ketone testing strips. I know there are places that have them even cheaper. Once you get to the place where you want to figure out where your critical carbohydrate level for losing (CCLL) IS, KETOSTIX can be used to help determine where this level is. There is info on this, on Atkins website. Info on lipolysis and ketosis (click here) Here is some more information on establishing your CCLL, and the role of ketostix in doing this. Click here for info
Some ppl don't use ketostix at all, and there are many LC diets who don't use them either. I think that they are a good indicator to show what you are doing is working, but then there are those ppl who don't get any color changes on them, but are still losing weight and inches. Perhaps you will not buy any more of them, I think it is an individual's decision, and that is my 2 cents worth
Ciao for now~
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 15:34
Registered Member

suzimsm,

Yeah, I dont think Ketostix would be necessary either, but like you, Im curious! lol And with trying to establish where exactly my CCL is I thought it might be helpful. Not sure though. I am going to Albertsons after work today so Ill look there. I think everything is MUCH more expensive in California!

suze_c,

Wally World? hehe Is that a grocery store? I dont think they ahve those out here, but I will look around for prices. Thanks so much for the links, Im going to check those out right away. I know its prob not a needed thing, but would be nice to see some verification of progress in times of doubt (or should I say T.O.M.s of doubt?!)

Thanks all!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 15:39
Registered Member

Just to answer my own question and if anyone else may ahve had the same question (with the help of suze_c's link) here is what the Atkins center says about when lipo strips stop turning pink:

"Lipolysis testing strips can also help you ascertain your CCLL in many cases. They generally stop changing their color at a point a little bit below your CCLL. When that happens, your CCLL will be only a few carbohydrate grams higher. However, you should be aware that once you are consuming 50 or more grams of carbohydrates a day, the lipolysis test will no longer register a change in color. "

Okay, so 50 grams. That works. Im still around 30 or so, so maybe this will help for a couple weeks until I decide me level.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 20:27
Registered Member

Talking Wally-world

Guess everyone in the world doesn't call Walmart--- Wally-world
Everyone around here knows what it is tho hehehhe... i got my test strips at the pharmacy there
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 21:02
Registered Member

Well I guess I should have shopped around a little! We sure do have Wally Worlds here ~ we just call em plain old Wall Mart.

Thanks for the links Suze ~ There is just so much to learn after being on a low fat diet. Thanks for your help.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 10:36

Plan: Atkins'
Stats: 270/245/145
BF:
Progress: 20%

I bought mine at Von's Market and they were $13.64 for 50. I tried cutting them in 1/2 (someone suggested that to make them last longer) but that makes them too thin to read IMHO. Mine have been pink to moderate purple. Never dark.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-02, 16:11
Registered Member

Plan: Combo Low Carb
Stats: 182/155/140
BF:Don't wanna know!
Progress: 64%
Default Ketostix

I can find them at any major pharmacy around here--$10 for 50 stix. Mine range from very dark to medium, if I'm good. They turn VERY dark when I work out. I do wonder sometimes about the relationship between color and fat-burning. I've heard strong opinions on both sides. If there's no difference, then why is each color associated with a number (of ketone presence)? And is it possible to be in ketosis without losing weight? (I seem to be!) I'm confused...
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 12:53
Registered Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 172/163/124 Female 62.5"
BF:31/29.5/24
Progress: 19%
Default Ketostix 50% off

Here's a quick trick I haven't seen anyone post: cut those ketostix in half (lengthwise, obviously) and they cost half as much. Use a sharp scissors, otherwise the plastic backing just bends.