Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-02, 07:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/168/145
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default A Weird Water Observation

I used to stop drinking water a few hours before going to bed to eliminate nocturnal rest stops. Lately, I've been thirstier than usual and I've actually been drinking a lot of water right up to bedtime, usually two big glasses, if not more. What I've noticed is that since I've changed my water drinking habits, I seem to be losing pounds faster. I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or not but I don't want to stop drinking the water to find out! Was wondering if this had happened to anyone else or it anyone who is stalled might want to experiment and try it to see if it does the same for you.

I was in a stall, although not a long stall, before I started drinking water at bedtime. By the way, I still only get up once to go to the bathroom during the night (same as before) but I would sacrifice and keep drinking water at night even if it meant an extra trip since I am losing not only pounds, but inches faster than ever now. I have not decreased the amount of water that I drink during the day, I have just added two really big glasses of water that I drink after dinner up to when I go to bed...sometimes even three glasses.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-02, 07:28

Stats: 180/135/135 Female 64 inches
BF:30
Progress: 100%

It makes sense twinkle. Water is very essential to weight loss. Night time is our "fasting" time - and the body is busy using body fat for it's required fuel and "cleaning" out the systems before the next day's input. Having adequate hydration to do that is very important.

I find if I don't really open my eyes when stumbling into the restroom in the middle of the night... that I can go RIGHT BACK TO SLEEP! LOL! Just beware of the DH leaving the toilet seat up! LOL!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-02, 12:10

Stats: 295/189/185 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default night bathroom trips

The only problem I have is making sure I don't step on one of our two Saint Bernards. They like the cool ceramic tile in the bathroom.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 13:35
Registered Member

Stats: 225/184/135 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 46%

I don't know how much water has affected my weight loss -- I've only been doing this about 2.5 weeks now. But I do know this: since I started I have been SO thirsty, it's unbelieveable. I drink about 6 cups of water at work, and then another 2-3 at night, which for me is an amazing amount. I find I can drink it much easier when it's more room temperature.

I'll tell you, there's a well-worn trail from my work desk to the ladies' room. If you do find out that it's had a big effect, I'd love to hear about it.

-- Nancy
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 13:43

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I've been drinking water up until and even in bed (during the night) since I started and I have not seen a change in weight loss. Actually, I am stalled out right now and trying anything to boost the weight loss - - although I have seen inches melting away.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 13:51

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%
Smile

Hmmm... well, I say it's worth a try. I don't drink water before bed or even really at night after dinner. I'll experiment for the next week or so and let you know what I find.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 19:47

BF:
Default I'm interested

...in seeing if you have the same response to the water drinking that I have had. I'm still drinking it at night (got a glass in front of me now) and still only getting up the one time during the night and it seems that it is getting later and later (meaning more like 5:00 am instead of 2:00 am) that I am getting up.

If the scales are good to me, I will be able to post two more pounds gone tomorrow. I like to see the same result for two days in a row, and sometimes three depending on circumstances, before I will post them as a true weight loss. I don't want the nasty little buggers sneaking back.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 06:43

BF:
Default Still doing it...

and was able to post another pound gone this morning. I drank two BIG glasses of ice water last night before bed. I really think that the nighttime water drinking has been very beneficial to me.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 12:02

Thumbs up Way to go!!!

Wow! Congrats!!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 09:20

Thumbs up Early results???

Okay, I drank a big glass of water around 9 p.m. and another around 10 p.m. I had to pee 3 times before I fell asleep.

But I didn't wake up again until 6:30 a.m. AND I am down 3 pounds!!

Very early results... I'll still have to keep trying this.

I ate very low calories yesterday. One meal is all. Time just didn't allow for anything else until after 9 p.m. And I am not hungry that late.

Today and tomorrow will be regular meals and I will drink the water before bed both days and let you know what happens.

#11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 12:42

Plan: Atkins to CALP to general LC + BFL
Stats: 188/174/150
BF:
Progress: 37%

Wow, I'm totally intrigued by this late-night, water-drinking thing. I hadn't really thought to bring it up here, but I also find myself really thirsty at night. Up until now, I've just been ignoring the urge to go ahead and drink more water, mostly because of the late night tiptoeing in the dark! Also, I've been getting all of my water during the day and didn't want to overdo anything.

I'm currently stalled out after having lost 10 pounds pretty quickly, so I'm going to experiment starting tonight with water before bed. I'll let you know what happens on the scale tomorrow!

THIS IS HOW I LOOK IN THE NIGHT!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 14:30

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268/218/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

I do the same thing..and it definately has helped me...I think the water helps with the digestion process that happens when you're sleeping...i've found since i started drinking right before bed..I get up in the morning and 'go' right away (#2)...before it would take a cup a coffee to get things movin lol
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 07:01

BF:
Default I am more and more convinced....

that my late night water drinking is in some way responsible for the last few whooshes I have had. I am finding myself intentionally drinking two large glasses of water now right up unto the time I crawl into bed.

I wish I were displined enough to eliminate the one cup of coffee that I still drink in the morning and replace it with a big glass of water as I am getting dressed for work. I attempted this during induction and ended up with such horrible caffeine withdrawal headaches in the afternoons that I was not able to work. Now that I have reduced my caffeine to just one cup during the week, I think I will mix my coffee half and half with decaf to reduce the caffeine and then try to wean myself from it altogether. I'm not sure if it will make a difference in my weight loss but I don't like the idea that I am dependent on ANYTHING!

Still experimenting with the nightly water drinking and having nothing but positive experiences so far and can highly recommend it to anyone to try. Hey, the worse that can happen is that you have to make a trip to the bathroom and you might end up losing a pound in the process.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 15:08

Stats: 220/202/160
BF:
Progress: 30%

It worked one night for me. The second night didn't bring any weight loss the next AM. I'm going to keep trying it, though.

Katie
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 21:13

Stats: 236.5/210/165
BF:
Progress: 37%

I usually don't drink water after eight at night for that same reason. Often times I don't get to bed until late, and have to get up early so my "bed" time is very valuable and I don't like thinking of having to get up to "water the flowers".

But, I must say that this thread is interesting to say the least. It does make sense that during sleep our bodies need the added hydration for detoxicing.

I could stand to see a whoosh.....I've been hovering at the same weight for a little to long to keep my spirits up, so I'm willing to give this a whirl.

I'll report back my findings

Daisy