Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 12:15

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%
Default exercise when sick?

Just wondering if you should continue your exercise routine when you are sick or wait untill you feel better? I just have a common cold with some sniffles, cough, and some tiredness. But I am wondering if it makes a difference with any kind of cold, or is is better to exercise with certain types and rest with others. (feed a cold, starve a fever kind of thing)??

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 12:25

Plan: Atkins (induction)
Stats: 240/232/150 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 9%

What I do is --

If I feel horrible like I only want to rest, usually I have chills and fever with this so I dont want to do much of anything since most of my body hurts as it is.

If I dont feel too bad ( can still do dishes, make bed, or little things) then I would probably keep it to a minimum. Perhaps a little stretching to keep flexible cause I tend to "tighten" up if I dont do something every couple of days.

If I feel rather good ( maybe just a lil cough, etc and can still go to work) I would do the reg. routine, just taking it down a notch.

So what I guess I'm saying is -- do what you think you can handle without overdoing it. YOu dont want to feel worse and then get of routine completely.

Hope this helps!

Get well soon

Swt_T
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 13:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 104/108/104 Female 5' 3"
BF:22%/17%/14%
Progress: 200%

From my school studies: Speaking from a bioenergetic viewpoint, you operate under what is known as an Energy Budget. What you eat is distributed to important things such as growth, reproduction, immune system function, heat production, digestion and assimilation of nutrients, and movement. When you exercise, you break down tissues and then must direct energy toward those tissues to repair them. According to Covert Bailey (great speaker; writes books on a 6th grade level): If you exercise while you are sick, your body will scream: Hey. I'm trying to fight a virus here and you want me to repair muscle tissue!!!! Make up your mind about what it is you'd rather I do.

I think there is a time during illness when exercise is beneficial and a time when it is detrimental. I agree with Swt_T that if you go with how you feel and don't force yourself to exercise when you are really sick, then you will do fine. Just be sure you don't exercise with a fever. I've run off unexplained headaches and unexplained upset stomachs. I've run in cool humid weather and in cold dry weather, both of which eased my cold symptoms. I've imagined that exercise has helped me to heal faster and perhaps it has. On the other hand, I've tried to run in hot weather while ill and I've tried weight training and step bench aerobics with a fever and made things worse - - or so it seemed.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-02, 16:38

Plan: atkins (in a way)
Stats: 165/159/125
BF:
Progress: 15%

i have done it once and i will never do it again...i had the flu and i ended up having an asthma attack!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-02, 21:26

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default the way it goes ...

If your symptoms are "above the neck," then you can probably exercise--cardio and weight training--but at a reduced intensity.

On the other hand, if your "neck check" reveals symptoms "below the neck" such as muscle aches, chills, diarrhea, vomiting or a fever, skip your workouts until your symptoms subside.

Above the neck = , but take it easy.

Below the neck =