Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 06:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%
Default Weight Gain in Third Week?

Hi, first off thank you all for this list, I have learned a lot from reading along.

I started Atkins about 3 weeks ago. I lost 7 pounds in the first two weeks and was very happy with my progress. However, last week (the 3rd week) my weight loss stopped and then I started gaining.

At first this didn't concern me at all because it's about that time of the month. But my period won't start and won't start, and meanwhile I'm still not losing weight. I feel bloated and crampy, like I have my period in every way except the actual period. I wish it would just hurry up and start!

Should I just assume that things will get back on track when I finally start my period? Or should I change my eating behavior? I have been following induction strictly, with one exception: last week I added fresh cheese, like in ongoing weight loss, but I kept the total carbs still under 20. I have been using FitDay.com and I made my journal there public:

http://fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJour...l?Owner=ovenall

I noticed that in the public version it doesn't separate out fiber, so I look like I had over 20 carbs a couple of days, but actually it was well under 20. I would really appreciate any advice, thank you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 06:57

Plan: Atkins (induction)
Stats: 240/232/150 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 9%

Hi Sarah,

I'm very knew (only 4days on Atkins) but ---

I know in my case around that TOM (time of month), I gain up to around 5 pounds (cause of bloating and all) but when I finally do start then it tends to go away again. So by the time it is all over with I lose that 5 pounds and sometimes more because I tend not to eat as much during that time. This happens to me every month no matter what I'm doing.

So I would say, stay with your eating habits. Although I'm sure what the answer would be for your cheese question, but I'm sure someone here can answer that for ya.

Swt_T
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 08:17
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Cheese shouldn't be a problem. TOM is gain 5-8 pounds depending on my salt intake. After, it goes with usually a little extra. Don't worry! Stick to the plan.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 11:52

BF:

Thanks for the advice! I have not been in the habit of weighing myself before, so I didn't know what to expect in terms of premenstrual weight gain. Y'all are right, I need to relax and be patient. Thank you!! --Sarah
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 11:56

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Sarah, it's a common pattern to have great losses the first two weeks and then nothing the third. One theory is that the body is adjusting, switching over to burning fat for fuel.

If you'd like some encouragement, you might want to check out Marlaine's journal. Her first few weeks were HARD. She did everything right and gained. But she stuck with it, and look at her now

Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 18:38

BF:

I guess I was hoping for super fast results because my "atkins buddy" is a guy and the pounds are flying off him, even though he cheats! It's so not fair.

Well even though the scale isn't rewarding me right now, my waist is smaller and my clothes are definitely looser. So I'm not going to get discouraged! Just wish my darned period would start already

Thanks so much for your advice, Sarah
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 08:16

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hi Sarah:
It would not be at all that you NOT have a period this month. Women often either skip a period or have an early one when they start LCing. Insulin is a Master Hormone in the body. That means that it affects all the other hormones, including those that regulate menstruation. Things are usually back to normal by the second month.

The best thing to reduce bloat is drinking more water and keeping the salt or sodium down. Avoid deli meats and bacon for a few days as they are very high in salt.

LCing is a recognized treatment for a form of infertility called PCOS. People often get their first natural period in years after beginning LC. So this is just another health benefit of cutting out starches and sugars, and helping the body run itself better.