Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 11:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Rash!

Does anyone have any suggestions about a rash I have on two fingers of my right hand? I though it was eczema (had that once before) and used the prescription cream I had, but it did not do anything! This does not itch at all like the eczema I had before -- it burns. I think it's an allergic reaction to something, but I don't know what! It got so bad that the skin was cracking and inflamed -- I think it was getting infected -- and quite painful. I opened a vitamin E capsule and poured it on, slathered on some anti-biotic ointment, wrapped it up in band-aids, and kept it dry for the past 2 days. It appears to be healing, but I did this before and it got better, but as soon as I got it wet again, it got worse.

I could see a dermatologist, but would prefer to clear it up on my own if I can. I might be allergic to soaps, as washing my hands definitely makes it worse. Maybe I should change to a new soap (but I would have to carry it with me -- I'm seldom home). I don't think it's food-related -- I rarely eat eggs, milk, cheese, etc.; and I never eat wheat or grains. I even tried discontinuing my vitamins for a while to see if it helped, but it did not.

Anyone have any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate your help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 12:38

Plan: Atkins-Restarted
Stats: 140/140/140 Female 5 ' 3 "
BF:
Progress: 29%

Peg -

Could it be chemically related? There have been times I have burned the inside areas of my fingers in the past and not realized it. This usually happens if I use Bleach, Tilex, etc around the house and forget to wear my gloves. (I have such sensitive skin that the slightest thing irritates my skin.)

Maybe you should go to a local pharmacy and talk to the pharmacist for advice - they are more helpful than people realize (and its free advice!).

Hope you feel better!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 12:57
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Peg,

Skin conditions such as yours can be very irritating; I'm sorry to hear you have to put up with such a nuisance.

Allergic reactions are usually itchy, so it sounds to me as though it could be something else.
My dear, I do think you will get the best results from seeing a dermatologist, or at least your GP.

I truly don't think it's a good idea to rely on information from someone on a bulletin board who can't even see your rash.

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 18:08

Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%

krazzybird,

You are right about those chemical burns -- it seems similar, but I did not use anything that could have caused it. I do have very sensitive skin (it runs in the family), so I am also cautious with the chemicals. Thanks for the ideas!

Rosebud,

I know you are right -- I should go to the doctor. I have not had very good experiences, so that is why I am hesitant. I have been through 3 doctors with this HMO in the past 4 years, and I have not been happy with any of them. The last one was the worst one yet -- told me I should do the 500 calorie liquid diet to lose weight faster because if I continue to lose at my present rate it would take me two years to reach my goal, told me to eat high carbs and strict low fat, and, even though my cholesterol was good, told me that 'even people with cholesterol in the acceptable range can benefit from taking statin drugs'. So, once again, I am searching for a new doctor -- I do not want to go back to him! That's why I was really hoping to take care of this myself.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 08:26

Plan: Atkins-Restarted
Stats: 140/140/140 Female 5 ' 3 "
BF:
Progress: 29%

Peg -

You're welcome for the suggestions..... But Rosebud is right, seeing a doctor might be the best solution. I am sorry that your HMO Dr's are not as helpful - have you tried a dermatologist?

Hope things improve and you feel better !
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-02, 06:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 209/179/150
BF:45.1/43.3/??
Progress: 51%
Hi Peg
I was a hairdresser for years and in lots of chemicals. I developed rashes on my hands, which made me give up what I love doing.
It is called occupational dermetitis.
I still have problems and pops up every once in awhile. It is strange as right now it is on my ring finger only.
It can come from chemicals, (I wear gloves when cleaning now) or it can even come from stress. It is like very tiny water blisters and I get it dried up and then it comes back again.
I did have a prescription and didn't need it for a long time and didn't refill it, but having a problem now so will have to go back and get another prescrition.
This time I am sure it is from stress.
So go see your dermetologist.
Bev