Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 13:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/225/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Sugarless Mayo?

I am having trouble finding a mayonaise that doesn't have sugar in it! Has anyone else come across this problem? Does anyone on here make their own mayo? What is your recipie?

Oh and I have one other thing to add! Does anyone else find it hard to find sugarless bacon?? I have not yet been able to find bacon in the grocery store that doesn't have sugar in it! I would really like to have some bacon! Sometimes I see bacon that is packaged by the store itself, like the way chicken or beef is - but there is no ingrediant list on the package. Would this bacon most likely be sugar free?

Last edited by klmcln : Thu, Jan-12-06 at 13:34.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 15:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/190/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

Just check the Mayo's carb count and make sure it is 1 or less for 2 TBS...you'll be good to go.

As for bacon...again...I check the carb counts on the package. I honestly forget what brand I use but I havent had any problems as long as I stay away from maple or brown sugared bacon.

In both mayo and bacon, sugar is often required to be listed as an ingredient because it is used... but the amount used in the product is so small that it wont really impact your carbs. When you find bacon that lists sugar but says "0" carbs...just count it as 1 carb per serving. Same with the Mayo.

Last edited by zajack : Thu, Jan-12-06 at 16:05.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 17:29

Stats: 170/170/130 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Sugar free mayo..

Dukes Mayo is sugar free. Only prob is--it may not be available in some regions as it is definitely a "southern" thing. It's great tho! Heavy and creamy. It is available online.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 17:33
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

Gwaltney has a sugar free bacon. It's the green label. It may be a suthern thang too though.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 17:35

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Duke's. It's far-and-away the very best mayo in existence...and it's never had sugar added. If you can't find it in your local stores, I'm sure you can order it somehow.

As for bacon, I just buy good bacon. Not maple or brown sugar, as an earlier writer mentioned. But good bacon. Actually, my favorite bacon is from ALDI. Consistently good.

Let us know if there are any other products you're having a hard time finding. We're here to help!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 17:43
Still Wicked

Plan: none currently (WFPB now)
Stats: 235/112/120 Female 151 cm (4.11 1/2)
BF:
Progress: 107%

Hellman's is sugar free too. If we knew where you lived, we could give you some regionally appropriate advice. In Canada, the President's Choice brand of both their full fat mayo and some of their bacon is sugar free.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 17:55

Stats: 230/225/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 6%

I live in Canada - Nova Scotia to be exact

I have a low carb Hellman's Italian dressing that I like. I thought I checked their mayo ingrediants and saw that there was sugar in it - I may be wrong though. I will have another look when I go to the grocery store this weekend.

I have never heard of Duke's or Gwaltney and I have a feeling that they unfortunately aren't sold around here.

President's Choice products are sold at Superstores right? I will check there next time I get a chance (we don't have one in town, so I will have to wait until I can get a drive in!)

Thanks for all of the helpful advice!

Last edited by klmcln : Thu, Jan-12-06 at 18:00.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 18:09
Still Wicked

BF:

A great many of the President's Choice products are great in terms of carbs. There is a thread about it somewhere in the Canada section of the board. The salad dressings are different than the mayo. Hellman's mayo has no sugar in it--not the full fat alt least. It is 0 carbs. Many of us in the frozen north really like the Renee dressings--in particular the Naturally Light line. I have fallen big time for the Caesar Vinaigrette just now.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 18:13

Stats: 205/190/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

Unless the low carb italian dressing is the same price as regular dressing...I wouldnt waste the money (most , not all, low-carb products are rip-offs). Most Italian dressings are already 1 carb per serving and those that market themselves as low-carb are simply making extra money off people who havent checked the labels for themselves and are buying based on the "low carb" claim on the package.

I've never tried the Renee's dressings...but they look mostly good ...although, as with anything, you need to check labels because a few of them have higher carb counts.

Hellman's does have sugar in it...but again...the amount used to make it wont seriously affect your carb count...just count a serving as 1 carb to be on the safe side.

Last edited by zajack : Thu, Jan-12-06 at 18:21.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 21:21
Still Wicked

BF:

Hummm, I was wrong about the sugar, but it is low down on the list and the label says 0 carbs/Tbsp. With a food processor or blender, some oil and eggs, you can make your own mayo, btw, and it is incredibly good--with no additives of any kind.

From the Hellman's site:

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1Tbsp (13g)
Servings per container ** see below
Amount Per Serving
Calories 90
Calories from fat 90
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 10g15%
Saturated Fat 1.5g8%
Polysaturated Fat 6g
Monosaturated Fat 2.5g
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 5mg2%
Sodium 75mg3%
Total Carbohydrates 0g0%
Protein 0g

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:

INGREDIENTS: SOYBEAN OIL, WATER, WHOLE EGGS AND EGG YOLKS, VINEGAR, SALT, SUGAR, LEMON JUICE, NATURAL FLAVORS, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA (USED TO PROTECT QUALITY).
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 22:49

Plan: Atkins/Eades
Stats: 360/277/170 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 44%

- Fill your blender with hot bleach water (tap hot not boiled) with the spatula in there too. Leave for a minute to warm it and disinfect.

- Place a whole egg in warm bleach water for a minute for the same reasons. (be sure the shell is not cracked).

- let blender cup air dry and then place in blender the egg (minus the shell) a dash of salt ( a little cayanne if you like) and 1/4 cup oil.

- cover and blend on medium-low setting a few seconds until well mixed.

- With blender still running remove lid and slowly drizzel in 1 cup of oil using the spatula as needed to put mayo from the sides into the center.

- Stop as soon as all of the oil is incorporated.

As it gets very thick toward the end you may need to stop the blender and fold the oil in and then hit the pulse for a couple of seconds to make sure that it is well blended without breaking.

I suggest making only one batch at a time as you are not using any preservatives and it will not keep as long as store bought.

I have had no problem using this method for several years but keep in mind that you are using raw egg and there is some risk.

mike
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-06, 10:16
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 217.5/207/170 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 22%

Trader Joe's, if they have them in Canada.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 08:07
Jen B

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Here's my mayo recipe. It's an acquired taste, but I love it. This is good for a week in the frig. It makes a little over a cup.

1 egg at room temp. (should be organic & free-range, fertile or Omega 3)
1/2 t. dry mustard
1/4 t. salt (I used crushed Celtic sea salt)
1/4 t. white pepper (optional) (I use a little fresh ground black pepper - I don't mind black dots)
1-1/2 T. lemon juice
1 c. light olive oil (I use walnut oil)

Blend first 5 ingreds. for a few seconds in blender (I use small bowl on my food processor). Then drizzle the oil in with a slow steady stream as blender is running. Voila! Done!

P.S. If you're disinfecting something, I would use apple cider vinegar instead of bleach water. Chlorine is nasty stuff. Of course, most water supplies are treated with it, so it's hard to avoid.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 09:46
Registered Member

Stats: 240/136/150 Female 5 ft 5
BF:
Progress: 116%

Kraft's regular mayo doesn't have sugar, although miracle whip does.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-06, 19:59

Stats: 245/175/160 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

If you have a Trader Joes around you they have their own brand of Mayonaise the tis sugar free. That is all I buy now.