Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-02, 13:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins mostly
Stats: 167.8/162.4/130
BF:
Progress: 14%
Angry My mom

We were talking today and she says, "So and so is so particular about her diet. She NEVER eats fat. She eats three meals a day, doesn't snack, and has a bagel with FF cream cheese for breakfast and two cups of coffee every day. And she wears a size 4 dress!!"

I just wish my weight loss would go a little faster so that I could prove that low carb really does work! I feel like the people that know I'm doing it are snickering behind my back..."Well, it doesn't seem to be working very well..."

I am enjoying the lifestyle and I'm not going to quit. I don't need any evaluations, because I know what I'm consuming...and I am exercising regularly too--weights and cardio...anyway, just wanted to rant. When I start showing a significant loss, I want to scream, "Nah, Nah, Na Na..."

cindy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-02, 20:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

It's hard, but she probably is trying to be helpful. (I guess.) I bet the size 4 lady has NEVER weighed more than that, so she didn't cause insulin resistance. You could tell you mom that you hope that when you have lost the weight, YOU will be able to eat that way too.

You'll get there. It is so good that you started when you didn't have too much to lose.

#3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-02, 22:28
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

...and if she "never" eats fat, she's probably white-knuckling her way along. It's not a very rewarding WOE.

Is her hair full and shiney, are her nails strong, and is her skin healthy? What's her energy level like?

Just because it's 'morally superior' according to some people, most of us have learned the hard way that low fat is NOT the way to go, even if it means carrying a few extra pounds. Even the AHA warns against going below 15% fat.

Food for thought.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 03:55
Registered Member

Plan: Shoogadownsizing!
Stats: 205/145/150 Female 5'4"
BF:F/C/C
Progress: 109%

My step daughter is just like so and so. She is in her early 30s and she eats fat free, sugar free everything. She only eats the whites of eggs, poultry, fruits and vegetables, with bread, pototoes, and cereal being the mainstay of her diet. She doesn't touch butter or mayo or oil of any kind unless it's fat free and she doesn't even put sugar or artificial sweetener on her oatmeal. I think once I saw her eat a piece of candy. She is about a size 4 and she exercises everyday. She has been eating this way since she was about 16 and for her it works. She has lots of energy and her hair and nails are fine and she is healthy. The bottom line is that I am not so and so, I am me and that kind of diet just doesn't cut it for me. I need to use a WOE that I can live with and that works for me and you need one that you can live with that works for you. If the fat free, high carb thing had worked for us and we could live with it, we wouldn't be lowcarbing. Just explain to your mother that you tried to eat like so and so, but it just wasn't for you.
asugar