Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 15:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/202/160
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Patience..Patience..

I have been low carbing since 8/1/02, lost about 12 pounds on induction in the first two weeks and then stopped. I couldn't handle induction any more so I modified my diet to 30-40 carb a day. I sat at the same weight since 8/15 but grimly clung to the principles of Atkins. Last night I even felt like I might have gained several pounds back. Got up this AM, weighed myself and I was 2 pounds below my stall point!!!

Patience....Patience...Patience..

Katie - In it for the long run!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 15:44

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

hehehe Surprise! It does work doesn't it?

I know people think we mentors and moderators are nuts sometimes telling people to relax, be patient etc etc....but really....it does work.

The weight really does come off in time You just have to be nice to your body while it makes up it's mind.

Congrats on your 2 pound whoosh!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 17:05
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%
Default Stalls Stay Away from me~ :P

I don't think I am gonna go by the scale as much as I am going to go by my measurements, those subtle clues that shows my body is losing... indentions where there wasn't any before
a less round face... less jawline...more of a waistline...not measurewise... but going in... I'm just gonna relax & let it be~
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 18:05

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Good idea, suze_c. Be sure to notice that you watch and rings may get looser too. And just wait until your shoes are too big! Those things are part of the general shrinkage that will gradually happen. You are really smart to concentrate on the inches and not the pounds.

katie B - what was it about Induction that you couldn't handle? Headache, nausea, weakness? Some of the carb withdrawal symptoms are manageable with supplements. But you probably did the right thing by upping the carbs if that helped.

Hope it continues for both of you.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 19:29
Registered Member

Default Waiting patiently~

hey Barb, didn't think about the ring thing... that will be good~ I wore a size 7- 7 1/2 when I bought my class ring... I wear closer to a 9-10 now...I noticed today when I was walking in my usual tennies, that they were LOTS looser, felt like my foot was swimming in them! That to me is an exceptionally good feeling, I have had my feet so swollen that it took 5 minutes to put them on! There were some times that hubby had to help me put them on!
I use to be a slave to the scale...everytime I went into the bathroom... I weighed... then my scale broke, and I found this wonderful fabulous supportive man who loved me just the way I was... and all of a sudden the compulsive weighing didn't matter. That man is my hubby now and I plan on keeping him around He's a keeper~
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 20:23
Registered Member

Stats: 188/164.5/150
BF:
Progress: 62%

Hang in there Katie........it gets better. I started Atkins on 8/12 and thus far have lost 13 pounds. I have tried to keep myself around the 20 carbs even now, but there are days I go up to around 30. I believe what I read on these forums - we will lose all those pounds if we stick to this WOE. My biggest drawback is in trying to get enough calories in me each day. But I just know I'm doing the best I can and that if I stick to it, the weight will go down.
It's funny, but this is the first thread I've read where you say you'll lose shoe size...........eeks, I just bought 5 new pairs of shoes!!!!!! I do know that my feet are slimmer - my tennis shoes are laced right togeher without a span in the middle where the tongue of the shoe is.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 21:22

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

It all depends on where you have fat to loose, but yep, I've walked out of my shoes too.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-02, 15:53
Registered Member

Stats: 154/135/133
BF:help?
Progress: 90%

Katie,

You mentioned something I related too and found rather interesting. Im noticing thing I tend to hold firm at one weight, not budging at all, until one day I feel REALLY frumpy or feel that for sure I have just gained a few pounds....then the day AFTER all of a sudden IM down a pound or two. Its weird. Its like your body kicks it at one weight then struggles really hard at the last moment before letting go of few pounds!

Yes, patience is the key!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-02, 23:30
Registered Member

Stats: 170.6/163.2/145
BF:
Progress: 29%

Oh, I hope that is the case! I have been doing LC/Atkins since 9/3 and I have only lost 5 pounds!!

I am going to continue on though and perservere.

....Still waiting for the whooosh!

Stacy
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 10:35

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 325.4/228/175 Female 5'7
BF:mostly!
Progress: 65%

Hi everyone!

I have been on Atkins since 6/20, have lost 28 pounds so far,and have found that every single time I feel really fat and frumpy and get discouraged,,,the next day I have a good whoosh!! Last time it was 4 pounds! The pattern seems to be slow,,but I notice inches coming off,,,my shoulders and upper body are losing the fastest it seems,,,that can be frustrating!! When the scales don't move, the tape measure will!! Hang in there,,,,it will all come off in time. I try to stay around 20-30 carbs a day...and of course drink the water,,,I have to drink the flavored carbonated water a lot because I am addicted to the carbonation...was a great pop drinker before Atkins,,and can still really put it away if I am not careful. And I just aint crazy about water to begin with...this way I fool myself into thinking its pop.

Hang in there...it works if ya commit to it!!
Cya lighter
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 11:45
Registered Member

Stats: 210/193/185 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

Just a point of caution re measurements.....I don't think it works for everyBODY.

I lose pounds steadily, but not inches. In fact, I long ago gave up measuring myself every week because nothing was changing for weeks. Eventually, over the course of 30 days or more, it does change, but for me it is the scale that keeps me going.

On the other hand, I am in my 2-inch-smaller size trousers today for the first time in two years!! yay!

(I have a theory that the body takes care of the inside organs first, e.g., cleaning up a fatty liver, before it gets around to the fat under your skin.)

But whatever works for you......

Good luck!

JeffE
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 11:58
Registered Member

Stats: 154/135/133
BF:help?
Progress: 90%

JeffE,

Yes, interesting point. Ive found the same thing has been happening to me. My measurements just havent moved much since the first two weeks, but my scale has been really inspiring. I think I may just be losing ALL OVER and so its just not showing up significantly in the place where I measured. My clothes are fitting great (!) and my scales are consistenly showing a 1-2lb loss about each week.

Now if I can just lose a few more inches in this butt of mine! lol
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 12:40
Registered Member

Post As the saying goes~

Different strokes for different folks... It is going to vary with individuals... because of our unique physiology. I am not going to expect the same results as anyone else on this board, because I know that there are so many factors that influence loss, both weight-wise, AND inches-wise. However, I think that stalls on the scale for SOME, won't be such a bummer, if they would keep track of measurements... for THOSE THAT DO SHOW A LOSS that way... it depends on how much fat and how much muscle is on one's body,how one eats, metabolizes,past diets,exercise or not...so many factors.Seeing that others have suceeded is further inspiration to me.
Anyhow~ that's my 2 cents worth~for what it's worth...
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 07:02

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 325.4/228/175 Female 5'7
BF:mostly!
Progress: 65%

I don't weigh myself often, about once a month,,,the same for measuring. I can tell it is coming off because I can wear clothes that I havent been able to wear...people making comments about my weight loss....so as long as I know I am losing, thats enough for me. I know it will all come off eventually.
I never thought about the inside organs losing fat,,,but that really makes sense!! That is encouraging too.
I have to admit, there have been times when both the scale and the tape measure have been discouraging!! But fluctuations by pounds and inches are common,,,,due to water retention etc. So, if I know I am doing all the right things I just stay focused on the long term results. I know it works,,I lost 65 pounds on Atkins in 1985, ..only now its slower cause I am older.
Hang in there,,,,,,,,,

Cya lighter
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 07:10
Registered Member

Plan: Keeping carbs under 20
Stats: // Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress:

I'm in the same boat. I started Protein Power on 9/3 and immediately lost 12 lbs in the first two weeks. Then I stalled. I have had the occaisonal day where I blow it, mostly from beer.

But even when I end up drinking on a Friday or Saturday, I get right back on the horse and get my eating in shape. I also am working out on a BFL plan five days a week.

I still haven't gone down anymore in weight, but I have gained a notch on my belt. So that keeps me going.