Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 11:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 180/154/140
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Ugh: sweet-n-low - Request for Opinion

OK...I finally made a mock danish using some sweet-n-low. Bleck. Sweet-n-low tastes like a chemical experiment. To tell you the truth, I bought it because it was WAY cheaper than Splenda. I've never really been into fake sweetener, so I cheaped out.

I know this is a personal preference, but is Spenda any better (read: less chemically) than sweet-n-low/saccharin (sp?). I've heard that combining them in baking helps, but does it work when it's not heated? I think I'd give it a try if plenty of people think it's really better. or

I intend to experiment with the "dosage" tomorrow. Or perhaps I'll just crush 2 or 3 aspirin in there instead - kinda tastes the same.

Thanks much!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 12:06

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Personally I can't stand the taste of sweet-n-low. I use splenda and find it tastes pretty darned close to the real thang even when heated.

Many artifical sweeteners lose their sweetness when exposed to heat. Splenda seems to hold up even to baking.

It may be expensive but if used sparingly it will last a while and to me well worth the cost.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 14:30
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Heh heh... I have a box of no-name sweetener packets which happen to be cyclamate. They're bloody awful. I was keeping them just for when I run out of Splenda, but last time I ran out, the cyclamate made my coffee utterly undrinkable. I dumped my coffee and donated the rest of the cyclamate to the food bank.

I'm a Splenda convert. I'm an El-cheapo, too - the Splenda is one of the only things I'll buy name brand instead of store brand.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 15:56
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Splenda is wonderful!! Although I admit I still don't like it in my coffee, so I just do without. Seems to be fine in a mock danish though! I use it mostly in my cottage cheese/berries

By the way, at Sam's its much cheaper if you buy it in quantity... $13 for 700 packets or something like that. At my grocer its $4 for 100!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 19:03

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%
Thumbs up Splenda

Splenda is much better than saccharin! Yuck - I haven't resorted to saccharin since equal came out, but now I avoid aspartame most of the time. I sometimes combine splenda with stevia. I think it gives my iced coffee a fuller flavor.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 01:28

Plan: basic LC
Stats: 200/150.5/130 Female 65"
BF:46.3//???
Progress: 71%

Can't stand the pink stuff, or the blue, but if I really need the sugar taste Splenda does the trick. I even tried it in tea one day cause I used to be a sweet tea addict and it tasted exactly right!!!! However it was way to sweet for me (now)!!!! it's nice to know it's there though in case I have an emergency craving .
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 03:45
Registered Member

Plan: Shoogadownsizing!
Stats: 205/145/150 Female 5'4"
BF:F/C/C
Progress: 109%

Splenda is splendid! It doesn't leave that yucky aftertaste like so many artificial sweeteners do. I use saccharin in my coffee though because I've done so for years so I'm used to it that way and actually prefer it in my coffee now. Splenda is more expensive than sweet and low but if you buy it in the box instead of the packets it is cheaper to buy that way. I think Splenda costs about the same as Equal, which I always thought was pricey) but I've never liked Equal at all.
asugar
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 09:35

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

I use Karen''s trick of mixing Splenda with Sugar Twins. You can dramatically reduce the quantity this way.

For example, I made a cheesecake that called for 1 cup of sugar. I put in 4 tsp of Splenda and 4 tsp of Sugar Twin (and it was a big cake). The result was great. THe cake is sweet with no aftertaste that I can detect
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 12:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 180/154/140
BF:
Progress: 65%
Question Re: Splenda & more questions

Hey everyone! Thanks for your opinions. I'm feeling a little more brave about it now. Tried two packets of sweetnlow in a mock danish this AM to no avail I like the sweet-n-low Donation idea!

Quote:
Originally posted by caverjen
I sometimes combine splenda with stevia. I think it gives my iced coffee a fuller flavor.

Is stevia an herb? I think I remember a reference to in in ProteinPower? If so, did you grow it? Where'd you get it? Have you tried it in cooked foods? Tell me more!

Quote:
Originally psted by Angeline
I use Karen''s trick of mixing Splenda with Sugar Twins. You can dramatically reduce the quantity this way.

Sugar Twins is another name for saccarin? Wonder how that combo would be in homemade icecream? Was lamenting the underuse of our new icecream maker the other day. I'll check the recipe board.

Thanks again for the opinions folks. Sounds like Spenda is the trick.