Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-05, 12:22

Plan: My Own
Stats: 154/141/- Female 61.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Following Paleo/Neaderthin

I was just wondering how many of you follow paleo/neaderthin strictly and if/where you make modifications (i.e. allowing small amounts of dairy or something).
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-05, 14:15
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaleo
I was just wondering how many of you follow paleo/neaderthin strictly and if/where you make modifications (i.e. allowing small amounts of dairy or something).
I believe in the paleo way of eating but cannot routinely keep it strictly. I do eat high-fat dairy products and drink coffee. I affiliate myself with Life Without Bread instead of Neanderthin for this reason, and also because I severely limit my sweet fruit intake to stifle cravings. For me these days, the main thing is to simulate the metabolic effects of the diet of our ancestors (high-fat, low carb), not necessarily trying to emulate their exact diet.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-05, 08:49

Plan: self-designed
Stats: 216/189/190 Male tad under 6'
BF:
Progress: 104%

For the past 12 months I have been following the lowcarb diet but not strictly owing to social commitment and pressure but I never deviate for long. When on the diet I try to eliminate all carbs but it is not easy to do so. My intake of protein (red meats, cheeses, eggs, and cream mostly) is around that which is recommended; about 1 to 1.5gs per kilo of body weight. Fats are restricted to saturated and is around three times that for protein which, in addition to other benefits, addresses the acidity caused by the protein. To lose weight I tweak the protein/fat ratio. Occasionally, I take a little fruit but never vegetables. I try, whenever possible, not to eat grain products nor anything containing sugar (except fresh fruit), also polyunsaturated or hydrogenated fats, and avoid soy products. I guess my one weakness is chocolate which I try to confine to dark chocolate. Over the past 12 months on this diet I have returned to my normal weight with all its health benefits. Whenever I deviate from the diet, I usually suffer side-effects from doing so. My wife too appreciates the benefits gained and insists that I remain on it. Dieting has become a way of life. I guess I maintain it for about 75% of time.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-05, 20:41
OOOOOOOOOH YEAH!

Plan: High Fat/IF
Stats: 215/170/160 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:27%/12%/8%
Progress: 82%

Good to hear from you again these days Duparc!

Tought you had ceased to contribut to the board!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-21-05, 10:54
Autistic Carnivore

Plan: NeanderThin
Stats: 369/244.5/219 Male 70 inches
BF:37.5
Progress: 83%

My weakness is processed meats. I'll cut them out if and when I stall on the weight-loss for an extended period of time. The good news is, I did find a source for Jones All Natural Breakfast Sausage... the stuff is not only soy-free, it also has no sugars and no MSG.

Once I get my own dehydrator, I'm sure I'll eat less peperoni and more pemmican.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-21-05, 13:09

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/170/170
BF:
Progress: 100%

On this board you'll hear all sorts of stuff like. .

"I'm paleo, but I eat dairy, and some low-carb bread. And pizza on Fridays."

"I'm a vegetarian, but I eat fish. And meat once in a while. But otherwise I'm a vegetarian."

"I'm a vegetarian, but I eat eggs and cheese. Which are vegetables."

"I'm a vegan, and don't eat any animal products at all, except once in a while when I eat some animal products, but most of the time I don't because it's just 'gross', except when I eat it, and then it's okay, because, well, my body needed it, even though I didn't like it."

"I eat low carb, except when I eat ice cream or pasta because it was somebody's birthday and I didn't want to be rude, and because I couldn't help it."

All of us are just trying to get through the day, without embarrassing ourselves.

Last edited by K Walt : Fri, Oct-21-05 at 13:17.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-22-05, 05:08

Plan: self-designed
Stats: 216/189/190 Male tad under 6'
BF:
Progress: 104%

Glad you noticed Walt! I guess the main features we have in common on this forum is that we are either seeking to lose weight, improve our health, or learn from each other. Can any one of us be certain that our variation to dieting is the correct one or the only one suitable? The amount of experimenting I have done on dieting over the past year is considerable and I have learned a lot in the process which has been to my advantage and crazy as it may seem, but, I am still experimenting, and still learning!