Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 16:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/209/150 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question First day here!

I just started lo carbing this month with the Atkins plan. I have to admit that I have not gotten off to a fantastic start, many slip ups along the way. I know that in order for any of these plans to work, you must stick with them 24/7. I feel like I am ready to get back on track and hope reading these messages will help.

I do have one question, however. Is anyone out there familiar with the "Mayo Clinic" plan? If so, I would like to know more about it and if anyone out there is following this plan.

Thank you,
Eileen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 01:42

Plan: motified
Stats: 270/250.5/240
BF:
Progress: 65%

Hello & Welcome Eileen,

There are many successful plans withing these boards. You just have to find something that works for you. The ultimate plan is one that you can live with for life.

I've learned a great deal from reading others journals. [just click on the journal icon below].
Quote:
you must stick with them 24/7
Not necessarily.
I have modified the Atkins plan to one which allows me a non-restrictive day and it's working quite well.

Diets don't have to be based on deprivation. There are other ways of keeping oneself happy while on a diet regiment.

Take care and please keep us posted.

Babi-Doll
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 07:51

Plan: Atkins/New High Protein Diet
Stats: 213/189/133
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Welcome!

Hi Eileen,

Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will find it as helpful as I have.

I only stared about 7wks ago and already I have lost 21lbs! I have to admit that the best way I have been able to cope with this way of life so far, for me, is to give myself a break on a Friday where I allow myself to eat ANYTHING I want. I tend to find that this helps me make it through the week when sometimes I get the 'munchies' or really find it hard to stick to the plan. Ironically by the time Friday comes, which is my 'weigh' day, I am so pleased to have lost more weight that I don't really want to eat anything that isn't low in carbs, but I mentally allow myself the choice, which to be honest, has worked so far.

May I wish you every success!

Best Wishes
Mrs_Moo
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 09:26
Registered Member

Stats: 192/182/135
BF:
Progress: 18%
Talking

Hi welcome!!
I'm really new here too. And I'm also from Jersey (Flemington) NW. I've been on Atkins intro for 1 week lost 10lbs. Yippy
I've been very careful what I eat. I've already in this past week went out to dinner and went to a back-to-school night where they serve homemade cookies and brownies !!!
I have to cook for two teenage boys and a 45 year old kid (hehe) so I find myself preparing stuff I don't eat.
that's the tough part for me.
But hang in there...there's TONS of info on this site!!

Lisa
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-02, 00:32
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%
Smile

Hi there Eileen, welcome!

The main thing you need to know about the Mayo Clinic Diet is that it has never, now or in the past, had anything whatsoever to do with the Mayo Clinic!

I believe it is similar to Atkins plus ˝grapefruit at every meal. [According to Fitday, ˝ medium grapefruit has 10g carbs!]

Like "The Israeli Army Diet," and probably others, no one seems to really know the origin of this diet. It is not an eating plan endorsed and/or supported by this forum. If for no other reason, there is no book which explains either the diet itself or how it works.

I would have to caution you against having a regular "non-restrictive day." It may work for Babi-doll, but for most of us, going off plan leads to carb cravings and weight gain.

This really is a wonderful WOE (way of eating). The key to success is to plan what you CAN have rather than stressing over what you can't have.

I find that organizing and planning ahead help enormously.

Also, are you taking any supplements? I have found L-Glutamine to be extremely helpful in fighting those sweet cravings.

Cheers, Eileen, all the best to you.

Rosebud