Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Fri, Jul-29-05, 15:01
weighing in....

Plan: BFL
Stats: 245/225/200 Female 5' 10"
BF:Why, yes, yes I do
Progress: 44%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
There's always squirrels.

Where do you get your squirrels Tater? Are they free-range squirrels or are you buying them at Wal-mart for $.99/lb?
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Fri, Jul-29-05, 15:27
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Wal-mart. They're not organic, but their nuts have never been sprayed with pesticides, I'm told.

Seriously, though, ysabella has a point. Some people are just SO sure they have all the answers and can speak with authority about how ALL fat people think and feel... it just gets old.

It's cool to disagree, since that's how we learn. It's just too bad some people are stuck on their own perception too much to see any other way.

Occasionally, though, karma comes through and you see some of the worst lecturing know-alls slip up and regain their weight, coming back months later to try again. I notice they aren't very likely, even then, to apologize to the ones they kicked the butts of before for being "weak"...

<shrug>
  #93   ^
Old Fri, Jul-29-05, 15:51

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysabella
I'm seeing various threads around this place that are positing ideas that any emotional extreme that helps you to lose weight is worthwhile. Things like...be angry, be obsessive, dislike yourself, use that anxiety, distance yourself from your loved ones, drop all your hobbies so you can focus.
Somehow, weight loss is the greatest good, the only fulfullment, and everything else must bow to it. According to some people. Those of us who don't feel that way are somehow fooling ourselves, or don't truly see our pathetic fatness.

Yes, this is a weight loss forum. I'm aware of that. But weight loss is not the only good thing in life.

I can't say I've noticed threads like that but then again I haven't been around as much as usual lately, either.
I'm sure that there are those that have an all-or-nothing attitude about weight loss and that's not necessarily a bad thing unless determination and focus becomes obesession. If it gets to a point where a person finds themselves giving up all sorts of things that they find pleasurable (relationships, hobbies, etc..) so that they can 'focus' on weight loss exclusively, I think that may be a danger sign, especially if it's expressed along with statements or ideas that the person can't feel good about themselves or that their lives will be horrible until they attain some magic number on the scale.
  #94   ^
Old Mon, Aug-01-05, 00:55

Plan: Atkins original diet
Stats: 245/210/175 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
Why do you press harder on the buttons of the remote control when you know the batteries are dead?

Because when the remote is ALMOST DEAD, it SEEMS DEAD unless you press the buttons harder/longer! Try it, it works!

cjl
  #95   ^
Old Mon, Aug-01-05, 05:56

Plan: my own
Stats: 154/133/119 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress:
Default ow carb to Weight Watchers

Can anyone advise me now that I am simply losing no more weight on the low carb if moving to weight watchers might make my weigt go up b4 down until it gets sorted in my system?

Any Ideas?. am sick of low carbbing

#96   ^
Old Mon, Aug-01-05, 09:03
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Wyv, stout is pretty low in carb content. It ferments quite dry, and the 'heaviness' is really just from the roasted barley flavour.
  #97   ^
Old Mon, Aug-01-05, 09:12

Plan: My own: clean eating
Stats: 290/139/125 Female 5'5"
BF:no clue!
Progress: 92%

I go to Weight Watchers these days, and I like it -- it really kickstarted my weight loss. I had lost about 90 pounds on my own, and I had plateaued for several months, and I was losing interest. I was terrified that I would start regaining the weight, so I searched around for alternatives. WW is a terrific program that allows you the freedom to eat however you want (within reason). Their new "core" program is a clean eating plan that works very well for most people. Unlimited meats, veggies, fruits. If you don't want to do that, their "points" plan is still there, and with that, you count points. You need to get in a certain amount of dairy (for calcium) and healthy oils, but other than that, you are on your own. Joining WW was great for me. I started in early March, and have lost 40 pounds, bringing my total to ~135 pounds total!

I am not the type of person that can stick with a program if it's not working well for me. I've vowed to be at or near my goal weight by the end of this year, and I've vowed to run a half marathon in January, and I will do what it takes to reach these goals. If it means embracing a different eating plan every week until then, so be it!

You can attend a WW meeting without committing to the program, and I would encourage you to do this. Another plan that I think highly of is Nutrisystem. It's now a low-glycemic program that is completely online -- you just buy the food -- no registration fees. I buy the food and combine the tenets of both WW and NS. Like I said, you do what works, and this works very well for me. If it doesn't work, I stop doing it. I "fired" the Atkins plan when it didn't work well for me. Why keep doing it if it bores you or doesn't work?!

We're all different, and different things work for different people. I did the Suzanne Somers program about 4 years ago, and lost absolutely no weight at all. But I know people on this site who have done beautifully with it. Keep experimenting until you find what works for you. Good luck!
  #98   ^
Old Tue, Aug-02-05, 14:57
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Wyv, stout is pretty low in carb content. It ferments quite dry, and the 'heaviness' is really just from the roasted barley flavour.

Stout, dry, compared to what? I don't know the specs but the stuff I get at the brew pub is Fishtale, usually the organic IPA or whatever stout is on tap, and they have to be at least 016-17 FG, by the taste of them or I wouldn't bother dunno what that would translate to in carbs but I ain't takin chances... one a week is enough and certainly one in an evening 'cause that's all it takes to get me halfway tanked these days!

Wyv
  #99   ^
Old Tue, Aug-02-05, 20:32
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

Quote:

Not that low, K. 16 fl oz has 18 carbs.

Roz
  #100   ^
Old Wed, Aug-03-05, 08:15
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

Hmphf. Elsewhere on the net, it's listed as having a nutrition breakdown roughly the same as Bud Light - less than 10 g per pint.
  #101   ^
Old Wed, Aug-03-05, 09:03

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Hmphf. Elsewhere on the net, it's listed as having a nutrition breakdown roughly the same as Bud Light - less than 10 g per pint.

Yes, sadly this is another low carb myth
  #102   ^
Old Wed, Aug-03-05, 11:06
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

Amen Sister!! Love this post!