Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-05, 14:41

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 258.5/244.5/180 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Let's Talk about Starvation Mode

So,

I just checked what my basal metabolic rate is on some website. It said something along the lines of 1780 calories. Now... I don't eat that much at all. Maybe it's just been a long time of low fat/ low cal diets, but I seem to get satisfied on 1400 calories. If I go by the 10x rule, I should be eating 2100 calories.

So,

What happens for real when you go into starvation mode? What would happen if I started to eat 2100 calories? (gain weight, then start dropping?) How many calories based on the basal metabolic rate should I be eating? (more than 1780, less than that to lose...?)

And I know that you don't have to watch calories on atkins, but what if it seems I'm just eating way too little...?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Mary
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-05, 14:45

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

Those websites are "guestimates". They give you a very general idea of what your rmr is. The 10x rule NEVER worked for me. If I ate that many cals, I'd be gaining like crazy. Does PP suggest watching calories? I wouldn't worry about it unless you find your self truly stalled.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-05, 17:50

Plan: ALKALINE!
Stats: 247/220/155 Female 64 inches
BF:20-22/20/10
Progress: 29%
Default another thought

the 10 or 12 times your weight is your DESIRED weight - not your current weight....

if you want to weigh 150, then 1500 is it- and you're very close to that so i'd not worry unless you go a month with no weight loss OR inches lost.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-05, 19:03
I will try...until.

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 288.5/207.5/110 Female 61'
BF:52/52/20
Progress: 45%

The way I remember being told about Starvation Mode is that you have to continually consume 1,000 or lower calories for weeks at a time before your metabolism will slow down and go into starvation mode. If I am wrong, someone feel free to correct me.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-28-05, 10:14

Plan: low carb
Stats: 189/136/136 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akasha
Starvation Mode is that you have to continually consume 1,000 or lower calories for weeks at a time before your metabolism will slow down and go into starvation mode.

that is the way i see it too.Starvation mode takes time and you wont feel good at some point if you dont eat enough.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-28-05, 12:07
Registered Member

Plan: Angry Paleo
Stats: 375/205/180 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

If you're not hungry, you're not in "starvation mode". Don't forget: right now, you're using stored calories from that pizza you ate two years ago (body fat).
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-28-05, 15:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/243/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaveman
Don't forget: right now, you're using stored calories from that pizza you ate two years ago (body fat).

OH MAN....that visual is enough to keep me on plan for LIFE! Wow...I'd never heard someone put it that way!