Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 15:43

Plan: Atkins/My own
Stats: 140/140/110
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking Ok, here I go...

I've been skulking around here for a couple of weeks reading as much as I can and now I'm ready to take the plunge. What a wonderful group of people on this forum! I'm 45 years old and have really been gaining weight the last couple of years. 140 may not sound like much, but I'm only 5 feet tall. I think I just quit caring about what/how much I eat when the kids started growing up & moving away, and boy does it show. I am really depressed about how I look and the fact that even my "fat" clothes are now about two sizes too small, and I've noticed as I've gotten bigger that I no longer have the energy I used to. I have GOT to do something.

I could really use some motivation. I feel like I already know a lot of the regular posters on here, and your advice and encouragement have really inspired me.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 15:47

Plan: Atkins induction AGAIN...
Stats: 242/197/199 Female 5'8.5"
BF:ALOT
Progress: 105%

Welcome

You have come to the right place. Arm yourself with all the low carb amunition you can muster up, it will hellp. Knowledge is power. Check out the recipe sections for later if your food starts feeling a bit boring. There is so many creative ideas out there. Ask any questions you need and read the book thoroughly.

You may want to start a journal too, this helps you track your intake and progress (which is always fun to track)

Cindy
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 11:54

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%

With a name like hotpatoody, I just had to stop in and see what's what. Welcome to the forum.

I know exactly how you feel about your weight, lack of energy and no clothes to wear. I was in your spot almost 2 years ago. I am happy to say that I got things turned around and then found this board which has been a treasure trove of information and support.

So come on in and partake!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 12:22

BF:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Homegirl
[B]With a name like hotpatoody, I just had to stop in and see what's what.

haha!!! I love using that term, as in "Boy, HE'S a hot patoody...", and it drives my kids insane with embarassment because they think it's so geeky.

Thank you for the encouragement. I am so ashamed to have to report that I am having a heck of a time committing to what I know I need (and want) to do. I really messed up a few days ago eating pizza, and I don't mean just one little slice. I really don't understand myself anymore as far as taking care of appearance, because I was just SO HORRIBLY VAIN about my looks when I was in my 20s and 30s, and now I feel like such an old, fat, slob, and I feel like I'll never ever get out of this rut. I have always been a strong, active person until just a few years ago, and now it's like I just don't give a flip...that is, until I catch a glimpse of myself au naturel in the mirror and I want to be sick. I just don't understand where this negative attitude has come from, but I am tired of it and tired of defeating myself. I think if I could stop thinking of myself as "old", which I do, then I could get on with it. It's like I have this nasty message playing in my head that goes: Well, you're old now so who cares what you look like? It is so illogical, but I am having a hard time getting around it.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 15:01

Well, I am almost 39 years old and "getting up there" but my hubby thinks I am a hotpatoody!

And I must say, that since I have my figure back, a lot of people actually think I am in my very early 30's. And it's quite nice when I turn heads in the grocery store or when I am out and about I don't think it's all looks, however, it's mostly the renewed confidence I have in myself and my renewed zest for living. Believe me you can get it back! It just takes time, committment and a whole lot of effort. Don't think about the mistakes, just take each day as a new beginning and I am sure you will start to feel stronger and stronger in your resolve.

If I can go from feeling like a frumpy stay at home mum who has nothing better to do than keep house and wipe dirty noses then you can be a hotpatoody at age 45!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 15:13

BF:

That's exactly what I needed to hear...I'm really not a negative thinker at all in other areas of my life, but I seem to be when it comes to believing I can get this weight off. To be honest I've been lucky up until now and not ever had to really struggle with my weight. I am surprised and a little disturbed at how quickly I've (almost) thrown in the towel. I appreciate your advice and encouragement - really!!!! Do you mind if I ask you how long it took you to lose the pounds? You look absolutely terrific in your picture, by the way.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 17:48

I discovered lowcarbing all on my own in March 2001 without having a clue that's what it was called. I lost quite a bit of weight (about 16 lbs). It wasn't until August 2001 that I discovered Dr. Atkins & then this site. Those two things helped me understand the science behind what had been happening to my body. I haven't looked back. I still have a little way to go but if I stalled forever at this point I could be happy as I thought I would only be able to lose about 10-15 lbs.

Like you, I have never been on any other diet in my life but I started having problems with weight gain after having my first baby. So it was almost 11 years of ups and downs (had another three boys) that my body did all on it's own without me knowing why or how to stop it as I was already eating very sensibly by Canada Food Guide standards.

Just take one step at a time. That's the way to do it!